Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey Eric, thanks again for the wake up call. Also considering rebuild in the event I can obtain a certain confort level and someone locally that I can trust to do it right. That is the main reason that I have done most everything myself, you know the old adadge, if you want it done right do it yourself. Anyway I notice that Auto Zone has a listing
Duralast Remanufactured Alternator 13009
  • Part # 13009
  • SKU # 873893
  • limited lifetime warranty
    Limited-Lifetime Warranty
$49.00 - 40.00 refundable core deposit which I guess means it would be 89.00 with out a trade in. This is also available at O'reilly as well.......129.00 at OGTS and while I have made a real effort to support them as I believe in what they are doing that is a big difference.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,932 Posts
A rebuild from OGTS looks to be the best for you.

Make sure the connections between the regulator and alternator are good; these can get oily and dirty and corroded. You will want to check that harness end to end. And, IIRC, there are 2 fusible links in that area, one in the main alternator output and one in the harness between regulator and alternator, so you will want to check those.

Do one more test: With the engine at about 2000 RPM, re-measure the voltage across the battery terminals. Then move your meter leads to measure between the alternator case and the main output on the alternator. The 2nd reading should only be 0.1 or 0.2 volts higher than the reading directly across the battery terminals. This checks out your ammeter and other internal wiring between alternator and battery, and let's you see if there is excessive resistance anywhere in that path.

No way I would use a Duralast unit in a car that I wanted to last. Just a standard re-manufactured unit at that price, and it will be a complete crapshoot as to its quality, and getting the right actual part form that low level of suppliers is a hit-or-miss thing on these less-than-common cars.

·
Senior Contributor
4,998 Posts
If you are trying to stay stock then replace the regulator first. It's not worth the hassle to rebuild it electrically since you can get the rebuilt one from OGTS.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Is it worth it or even possible to just have the old alternator rebuilt.
Any decent alternator rebuild shop should be able to rebuild your alternator for about $100. Typically they might need bearings, but more often the rectifier (diode) pack has a bad diode to three and that needs replacement.

That said, OGTS has the 55 amp (from the '75) back in stock, and for $154, that is my suggestion:

·
Opeler
3,022 Posts
Just get a new 55amp one from OGTS. Nice and shiny new with no worries.
Rebuilt alternator. Higher output, 55 amps. Original style (appearance may vary from photo).
Core fee refundable upon receipt of your rebuildable core.

Of course, you sent OPGTS a rebuildable core, so that the next Opel Owner could have one in stock?
What was core charge?

:censored: We assume that you know how the Post Office (USPS) works.
:unsure: If there are no rebuildable cores, supply chain (breaks) ends.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts