Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya folks, quick question before I get started on this project of replacing the rear main seal.

Will I have to remove the crank to change it or can I just remove the rear flange and change the seal without removing the entire crank?

This is a 1.9 out of a GT.

Thanks for any help and/or input!

Claud

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Can be Done!

The seal can be replaced without removing the crank - or even dropping the sump. It is covered in the Factory Service Manual.

A good tip from the FSM is:

3)Punch a hole into the oil seal and screw in a sheet metal screw ( "PK" screw ) and pull out the oil seal.

HTH

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Something that is not in the FSM on that is to be sure you use a very small amout of RTV on both sides where the bearing cap and block meet. This is a classic oil leak area and even if you pull the pan and cap you would need to do it. HTH

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Very timely tip as I am about to replace both front and rear mains. OGTS recommends exactly what Grant says as well. Jarrell

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Soybean on the front you need to be a bit careful that it is very square to the housing and crank or it can have a funny effect of pulling things in instead of keeping them out. You can also not seat it fully but real close to get around a worn front pully or do the OGTS sleeve on it. On either one you need to use alot of lube to keep from hardening the seal lips on initial start up. JM2CW

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Initial Lube

One of the wee tricks Iwas taught many years ago was to use double lipped seals on crankshafts (so one lip keeps the oil in and the other the junk out) and smear some GP grease around the groove between the lips on the seal to provide start-up and ongoing lubrication for both lips of the seal.

BTW: the thin steel sleeves that go on to the crank pulley seal area work like magic to repair the grooved ring that old seals wear. They are designed to go tightly over the old pulley snout and are also designed to go through the standard size seal - they are quite thin and just stretch the seal a wee bit bigger on the inside dimension. I supose one could be used at the clutch end of the cranksaft too but I have not done so and just had that thought......

·
Über Genius
9,524 Posts
One thing to know if anyone gets this result in a search...

Which way does the seal install? open side facing the front or open side facing the flywheel?

·
Über Genius
9,524 Posts
Open side faces the block.
That's what I thought. I just thought I'd double check because I was instructing someone else and second guessed myself.

Reactions: Knorm65

·
Opeler
1,544 Posts
One thing to know if anyone gets this result in a search...

Which way does the seal install? open side facing the front or open side facing the flywheel?

The open side of a seal always faces toward the environment or fluid that you are trying to contain; in this event, the the crankcase.

edit: The slower typist always loses the posting race! Grin.

·
1,735 Posts
There are two different designs of rear main seals one is a single lip and the better one is a double lip seal as shown in photo.
You can make a rear seal installer from PCV fittings. You use the installer after you have started the seal on to the crankshaft. HTH
John

Attachments

·
Über Genius
9,524 Posts
I am wondering why bother with an installer?

Don't you just remove the crankshaft, put the seal on the crank and then reinstall the crankshaft?

·
Über Genius
9,524 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.