Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Opel Key Master
5,074 Posts
New Vintage Automotive in Cookeville, TN received a new restoration project by the name of "The Sauce". The owner is a member on OpelGT.com Named Mike, and he resides in the Chicago area. I will let him post on this at his free will, and he can introduce himself and such if he chooses. This is a 1972 Opel GT, originally Strato Blue, and painted black. Then the engine bay was painted silver. It is up in the air what color it will be, and that is yet to remain. This will be a Targa roof car. It already has a 2.0 engine in it, poly bushings, BBS Wheels, Koni reds...lots of goodies. It looks to be a wiring disaster waiting to happen though, and several issues will be addressed during the restoration. It will have about every piece of fiberglass available from Lenk though. LT05 Side Skirts, California Spoiler, Wide rear flares, Tail-skirt and spoiler, with Targa roof. Lenk may own the car after this with all the branded endorsements...ha! Anyway, feel free to post on this, I do not feel it needs to be locked out like prior ones, they just confuse everyone anyway. Here are some pics of before.
Keith Lundholm

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
I recently saw a similar looking GT near Chapel Hill but it was a LOT rougher looking than the one you're working on. :D

Harold
I think Mr Collins Jr is trying to take the "have trailer, will travel" title away from Oldopelguy.

·
2,054 Posts
Nice GT.

1. Will the Redline air filter housing be replaced with the Weber adapter to the orginal filter canister & snorkel?
  2. What does the reostat looking knob below the dash control?
  3. Were these photos taken outside of your shop?

·
Opel Key Master
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The control is for an electric fan that was installed due to overheating issue. Yes, the photos were taken outside of our shop...hense the 50 Ford in behind it. I had to take pics of it too. Inside the shop is just too dark right now for pics. Who said anything about keeping a Weber??? I can't tell you everything we are going to do...ha
Keith

·
Incurable Opelitus
203 Posts
Keith,
Looks like another great resto-mod project. I'm especially interested in seeing any details on the Targa modifications you might want to show us. The Targa is a mod I've always wanted to do, but I keep seeing those horror stories. It'll be good to see how a successful installation is done.
Randy

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
Oh I think I know what is going to happen on this one. teehee

We are going to do this targa conversion a bit different too, the added effect of the fiber glass is going to help too.
Was this before or after your shipment of Peyote buttons arrived? :haha: Keith's Native American name is, "Chief White Cloud". :D

Harold

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
Hmmm . . .

New Vintage Automotive in Cookeville, TN recieved a new restoration project by the name of "The Sauce". The owner is a member on OpelGT.com Named Mike, and he resides in the Chicago area. I will let him post on this at his free will, and he can introduce himself and such if he chooses. This is a 1972 Opel GT, originally Strato Blue, and painted black. Then the engine bay was painted silver. It is up in the air what color it will be, and that is yet to remain. This will be a Targa roof car. It already has a 2.0 engine in it, poly bushings, BBS Wheels, Koni reds...lots of goodies. It looks to be a wiring disaster waiting to happen though, and several issues will be addressed during the restoration. It will have about every piece of fiberglass available from Lenk though. LT05 Side Skirts, California Spoiler, Wide rear flares, Tailskirt and spoiler, with Targa roof. Lenk may own the car after this with all the branded endorsements...ha! Anyway, feel free to post on this, I do not feel it needs to be locked out like prior ones, they just confuse everyone anyway. Here are some pics of before.
Keith Lundholm
. . . in your fourth 'engine compartment' picture is that a steel fuel line I see strapped to the underside of the upper radiator hose?! . . . did you mention 'overheating issue' . . . need I say more!

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
. . . in your fourth 'engine compartment' picture is that a steel fuel line I see strapped to the underside of the upper radiator hose?! . . . did you mention 'overheating issue' . . . need I say more!
Otto;
That line you refer to looks more like the vacuum supply for the cannister on the dist....

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
Now that I look again . . .

Otto;
That line you refer to looks more like the vacuum supply for the cannister on the dist....
. . . you may be right, thought it looked like a 'metal' line at first . . . looks like it's just how it photographed!

·
Opel Key Master
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fuel induction

Will be posting some updates on this project....but recieved some nice items for the engine bay. Redline 40 DCOE Throttle Bodies and fuel system. Must have cost them a bunch to ship it next day air from California. I wasn't dying for it or anything. I had a 2.0 Halo Distributor modded to trigger the injection, I just am not a fan of the crank trigger idea. Enjoy
Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Well I'm liking the parts selection.
Is Mike keeping the 2.0L in the old girl?

BTW I'm a big fan of true crank triggers :yup:

·
Opel Key Master
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, Mike is keeping the 2.0, thats why we are sticking to the 40's instead of 45s. I don't have a problem with crank triggers, so much as room on the Opel for it. Got to order a few more things...coming soon
Keith

·
Opel Key Master
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fitting body skirts and rear flares....you gotta love how this stuff fits right out of the box...ha. The driver's side seems to be 2 inches too short. This is the second one that was like this that we have installed in recent. The rear flares will be fun as well, and the rear skirt is very inconsistent. I had to do a little slicing on that one just to half way fit this stuff. That is all we are doing right now, is fitting these on, we will not just start adding them to the body just yet, but remove them, get it on a rotisserie, and have it media blasted first. So far this is what I got done, But its coming together. Will try to locate the spoiler and the driver's skirt tomorrow. I really want to put some wheels on it and take some measurements for the specs we want.
Keith

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts