Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Restoring

I was wondering is there any place that offers a large kit for restoration and give a discount rather than buying each piece seperate and paying regular price?

- restoring everything almost

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Sure. You buy a GT that somebody else has already spend $15,000 on. Or look at the OGT.com Ad Board, where that famous New York 15,000 ORIGINAL mile GT is for sale right now. http://opelgt.com/ppc/showproduct.php?product=210 For $15,000 (and those are 'Merican Bucks!).

But seriously, there isn't a restoration "kit" available for Opel GT's. The restoration of a 33 year old car is just too different from car to car, and from owner to owner. Once upon a time, you could buy an engine re-build "kit", but it never really made sense, as every engine re-build needs a few unique items.

And how "restored" do you want it (as in stock), or do you want a few more (or a LOT more) horsepower? New body parts are simply not available, except from wrecked GT's. Most folks fabricate sheet metal to fit, but every GT has different body panel needs, depending on how badly it is rusted. Suspension? Well, do you want to stay stock (as in rubber bushings) or upgrade (polyurethane)? Transmission? Will that be a stock four speed, a stock TH180 auto, or a Getrag 5-speed? Carb? Stock Solex (as IF!), Weber 32/36 DGV, Weber 38 DGAS, Single Side Draft (SSD) Weber 45 DCOE, or dual 40 DCOE's? Or should you do an engine swap? Something cool about a very clean Chevy 3.4 V6 conversion. You probably get my drift.

But frankly, that is the beauty of restoring Opels. There is no fixed pattern. My older brother is on his third Austin Healey restoration (a '59 100-4, after doing a '61 3000 Mark I and a '65 3000 Mark III). It just doesn't make sense to restore it to anything other than dead stock, as every departure from original reduces its value. With an Opel, unless you have a 15,000 original mile version, the value INCREASES as you improve its drive-ability (Weber, Getrag, sway bars, etc.). So you end up with a unique car, that is BETTER than original. As much as I admire my brother's AH's, they drive like TRUCKS!

JM2CW

1 - 2 of 2 Posts