Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samdog had these 13 x 6 BWA alloy wheels hanging around just collecting dust and oxidation.....

They were long overdue for a restoration. The centers were painted black originally, and the rim edges were natural aluminum which had oxidized badly.
I sent the wheels over to my friend's chrome shop and had them sandblast the old paint off, and polish the outer rim edge. The next step was washing the wheels down to remove all the sandblasting dust and polishing compound, then I sanded the center spokes smooth with an orbital sander and some 220 grit sandpaper.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A bit of careful masking of the polished rims, and then off to the paint booth where I shot the wheels with PPG basecoat/clearcoat system. The color is a fine metallic silver.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I was at it, the center caps had seen better days.....
I started by polishing the raised edges of the emblems with a Scotchbrite wheel, then buffing it on a cotton buff with fine coloring compound.

I then painted in the white and yellow portions of the emblem with enamel. I'll let them dry overnight, then I'll finish the emblem with black and grey paint in lieu of the original red paint.

The final step will be a new set of valve stems and some fresh 205/60-13 tires.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Wheels

Bob;
What does this shop charge for this proceedure? I have a set of American Libre mags that I would like the rims polished and the centers painted.
Gene

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BQS4 said:
Bob;
What does this shop charge for this proceedure? I have a set of American Libre mags that I would like the rims polished and the centers painted.
Gene
I assume you mean the polishing part (?), as I did the rest of the work myself.
I really don't know the costs yet, the plating shop owner is a friend of mine since high school. We tend to swap parts/labor back and forth in lieu of cash. It also depends on how badly worn/scratched/corroded the wheels are. I assume it took about 1/2 day for the shop to sandblast and polish them, and then I personally spent about 8 hours of my own time getting them sanded, cleaned, masked off and painted. And I still need to finish the last two colors of the center caps. But all in all it's a weekend's work.
Add in the paint costs and I'm sure I've spent triple the dollar amount on them that they're worth. But they look pretty cool now, and you can't just go out and buy these wheels anymore either. So we gotta maintain what we got!

I have a set of Campagnolo's I'm going to restore next, and they have severe pitting at the rim edge where the wheel weights used to be. So that will require a filler material to be used.....no welding on magnesium for me! Those wheels will require far more labor to restore than these BWA's did.

HTH

Bob

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Gene,

I have a friend localy that does this for wheels. He is installing a wheel restoration facility in his shop in about a month. I can give him a call and ask him what he would charge on your wheels. I am sure he will want to look at the wheels before he gives a quoto.

Rick.

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
wheel resto

Rick;
That's cool, give him a buzz. Right now, I'm waiting for Edwin to get them back to me. Wheel Wizard , in Chamblee, can do all this, but, they're a bit pricey.
Gene

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Labor ain't cheap. I suppose they have to charge enough to stay in business if all they do is wheels. That's why I do things myself!

BTW, welcome to the 1000 post club Gene!

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished the last of the detailing to the center caps today after work. Just need to order some tires tomorrow, and finish this project up!

Amazing how satisfying it is to finish a project such as this so quickly. Those long term projects (such as the 'Carlisle' turbo Manta) can really drag you down when you hit some roadblocks and stretch the timeframe out even more.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wow... never thought those bwa's could look that good!
I have the very same rims on my manta, center painted black, but they are in ruins. i think the rims were a limited option on sport package Fiat Ritmos.

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The next wheel restoration project I will attempt will be these beautiful Campagnolo magnesium wheels. They are also 13" x 6" like the BWA's, but they have succumbed to a bit more corrosion at the edges. Here they are in their 'pre-restored' condition:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry Gene, that's one I'm not familiar with.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope, never seen them before! I take it it's a German wheel then?

I personally like the old factory Opel alloys as seen on the rally cars and on some street cars such as this:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, I just found this photo of one of the BWA wheels prior to polishing at the chrome shop. Nasty!

Attachments

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Nice Campagnolos, Bob! ...well worth restoring. They are wicked lightweight, too. For some time, I was trying to find a set of those (but did come across 13x5's in my search). As you're probably aware, Campagnolos were originally fitted to Conrero GTs (albeit wider).

So are these slated for your vintage racing recreation?

I wound up with a set of 13x6 Opel ATS wheels...still classic though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.