Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this for a long time. Has anybody ever made a mold of even the top of the rear markers to make a new one? I've been toying with the idea to fix originals. Recast in a clear polymer to replace the piece that is normally broken. I know there are issues with it saying Hella. Anybody ever tried this?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Idea!

That is an idea. Just remake the outer cover and glue it to the original red bit that goes back in to the hole in the bodywork.
Cheap way - vacuum form the covers out of Lexan or other clear plastic
Expensive way - make up two (LH & RH) plastic injection moulds with all the original lettering.
Either way a left and right hand one has to be made then the chroming around under the rolled edge done ----- possible.....

Its just that the replica ones from OGTS are so darn crisp and nice ..... only 100-point restorers would need anything else!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used a clear poly resin for years in hobbies, dries crystal clear and stays that way for many years. For the top layer make a latex mold and fit too a plaster of paris base. As for the chrome outer ring use a silver paint designed for pastics and back it with a flat grey. Too many secrets on that one.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a kick, I'm working on a stressed cracked master to make the original from. Usually I would just replace or delete. I know it will be limited to just a few and done in house. Just like the original steering wheels being redone, some things are too hard to get. New Hella ones for dirt cheap, interesting to say the least. I should be starting the molds today for the passenger side, first castings mid week or so. With luck pics before next weekend.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a few odd notes and ideas. I looked at the Stuff I've used in the past to make water and things in the past for modeling, it was too small of a quantity. In some of the very small car models I do windows can be done with similar products but if exposed to UV they yellow. To recap I have a latex mold set into a plaster of paris base to maintain contour. I got to thinking about it and looked into a stained glass supply store. Turns out they sell a liquid glass. Good for UV and can be molded. What do ya think? Good idea or confirms that I've lost it?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
nobody said:
I got to thinking about it and looked into a stained glass supply store. Turns out they sell a liquid glass. Good for UV and can be molded. What do ya think? Good idea or confirms that I've lost it?
Lost it?? Going into the "stock" restoration of a '69 by making "custom" parts. :p
Get it to work and there will be a path beaten to your door for more of them, I am sure. Keep up the good work!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a few notes on this project.

A latex mold is not compatable with paster of paris, when the plaster heats to cure the latex either bubbles or fails. Could be chemical reaction, I'm not sure.

The liquid plastic used for stained glass does dry clear but doesn't harden like plastic.

Even a hairline crack in the original will create an air bubble in the casting.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the incompatability issues are a challenge. I am however starting to question my own sanity.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Several other issues on this project.

You have to have a perfect original to cast, otherwise you are just recreating the same thing your trying to replace.

Compatibility...Say you have a perfect or good enough to recast lense and a mold compound destroys it? You need to have a test part so you don't destroy the original.

Some things won't cure from just one side exposed to air and again you have the UV, stress and heat to consider.

Contraction and expansion of everything used.

Oh let's not forget how to get whatever you use into the tiny crevices and detailed enough to show the name and every line on it.....without bonding to it.

Sorry Was that venting? Or sharing details?

I also decided to make a positive casting using odd mediums so I have an original that has less compatibility problems.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
this is do-able

nobody said:
As for the chrome outer ring use a silver paint designed for pastics and back it with a flat grey. Too many secrets on that one.
1-dave: do have a way to make a chrome finish to plastic?I dont know how to do that

2- you need silicone mold making material. I have some from work that will record the detail of the "D" under the date of a penney.

3- undercuts/tear strength are isssues that is easily over come with silicone,
industrially it used to be called Silastic from dow corning

4-lens- it could be re-made from Acrylic resin.thats what hella used..I have a friend with a dental lab who uses this. Ever seen a kids retainer for teeth braces? they are largely made from " Hella type lens acrylic in chemical structure"...what is it ?...its plexiglass...plexiglass comes in sheets,but dental labs
use it as paste that is poured into a mold...whall-a...plexiglass in any shape you want..can be tinted to most any color from clear to red to yellow.. ladies nail acrylic is another example

5- I volunteer to work with you on this project, i need a good one to copy..as mine are chipped cracked etc..

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I find this very interesting and informative but unless I'm missing some thing, doesn't OGTS already make a replacement side lens at a reasonable price? If possible to make your own replacement would it be cheaper and as well made as already available? I guess I just feel that with all that Gil and Dennis do for the Opel community that even if available at a low home made price, I would still buy from them instead of making my own. Just my two cents worth! :cool:

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
the sidemarkers OGTS sells cannot be passed off as origionals. they say "OpelGTSource" right on them, where as you know origionals say "Hella". all about the letters :D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
the sidemarkers OGTS sells cannot be passed off as origionals. they say "OpelGTSource" right on them, where as you know origionals say "Hella". all about the letters :D
Then aren't you running into copyright and patent infringments then? :cool:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If you were to "reproduce" them completely on a for sale basis, yes that is copyrighted. I haven't been contacted by Opel, Bosch, Hella or even heard that to "restore" something back to original is illegal. It's also not illegal to help others do the same.

I have OGTS ones on my car and plan to leave them there.

This project is to put a 69 back to original, show perfect grade.
Even if your lucky enough to find an original side marker they are still weathered, I have a trick for that too, but that's another story.

Speaking of odd parts that are hard to get, anybody got a spare fuse cover?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I think I may have a fuse cover, lemme check in the pile of stuff in the garage. Won't be needing it since I don't have fuses anymore, and had to build a whole new central wiring setup for the V-6 computer. I'll get back with you later on today.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
GTs have fuse covers!? 9 cars, many parts, and never knew!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
GTs have fuse covers!? 9 cars, many parts, and never knew!!!
Seen photos, never seen one in the plastic. There is one on eBay today, with a Buy It Now price of $45 USD. Yikes! It's just a piece of plastic!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
for 45 dollars i think i'd get rid of mine too if i had it.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok one needs a slight bit of cleanup to be a perfect original, it's the left one right?. Oops somebody put a bit of chrome in the wrong spot on the old one. Wonder what that is? could be chrome gloss, ali gloss, chrome flat or ali flat? Testors, pactra, tamiya or floquil. Oh and let's not forget Poly s. about 16 variations were tried to get the right one. Let's not forget the backing to make it chrome looking.

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
Cool Beans Man!!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.