Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to cut my dash...so I am limited to several manufacturers of vintage radios to select from...
I want good sound quality... and if I have to cut the dash I will do that... before buying trash.
Could anyone tell me if the Retro units are worth buying....

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Hey Joel if you do a search for radios, there are several threads that will give you some good information. I too am like you, the PO cut the dash to install an updated radio from the original. . I do have an uncut dash that I have plans to install an original radio.

Most of the members have updated from the original radio to newer tech improved radios. The original radios were only AM and didn't play very well. I do know there are members out there that have original radios that may sell you.

I haven't tested the waters yet to see who would be willing to sell an original radio. I'm looking for the original radio that has the writing on the plastic face that says, Opel Radio Gt by Delco

Good luck though

·
Senior Contributor
1,623 Posts
I don't want to cut my dash...so I am limited to several manufacturers of vintage radios to select from...
I want good sound quality... and if I have to cut the dash I will do that... before buying trash.
Could anyone tell me if the Retro units are worth buying....
Some of the British Car owners I've met seem to like the sound and this keeps stock look, sold by Moss Motors a Reliable British car vendor.. high quality British Parts Supplier
https://mossmotors.com/laguna-radio-chrome-face

I was looking at this too...https://www.vintagecarradio.com/din-radios.html a little more features and a more modern Look
Just some idea's

-Mike

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought an Alpine but it would not fit the dash

Originally I bought a real nice Alpine radio... it would not fit the opening...even if I cut it all out...the Alpine faceplate 1/4" is wider that the area that needed to be cut... the surround is so narrow that I could not cut that...the height of the opening is 1 3/4" and the faceplate of the Alpine is 2" so it would hang over 1/4"... that would look like heck...width and depth are fine... I have a spare uncut dash so cutting is not traumatic for me..

I want fine quality FM performance...and I am afraid one of the Retro radios just won't give hi-quality sound.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I put a modern radio in my GT. It has a SD card, plays MP3's both on CD disk and the SD card. It also plays standard CD along with AM & FM radio. It also has bluetooth for receiving or making calls on your cell phone. It is a Jensen radio DIN 1. It took a little bit of cutting, but not bad. It has a bezel around the the face of the radio. and when put in place it covers any "mistakes" you may have made cutting the gauge holder.: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ668Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Hope this helps. I got it because of the different formats for music. Plus you don't have to listen to any songs you don't like. The Amazon site says they don't know when it will be back in stock, I am sure that is an upgraded radio that has all the same features. Check out Amazon, the only thing you need to know is that you want a DIN 1 radio. There are probably 50 different one to choose from. If you want to search for a radio on Amazon just fo to the link I put on this post, the remove the "Jensen" from the link. This will show you radios that will fit in a GT and will be a great addition to the sound, I would get new speakers too, if you are running the old ones, they will not keep up with the radio.

Bob

·
Registered
775 Posts
We have a RetroSound system in our Triumph TR6 that we were able to configure to fit the original openings for the face and knobs. And the right type/colour of knobs and buttons that match what may have been in the car when it was new. We selected the version with 2 USB inputs (and BlueTooth but I never bothered to install the microphone) and routed the USB lines into the glovebox. One has a memory stick on it with all the music and the other line is used for charging our phones. The sound seems great (but in a 46 year old convertible....who can tell the fidelity) and has enough power to hear it over the road and wind noise.

They have changed model names around so I'm not sure which one it is. We liked it because we could use the original holes without cutting and we can put a static cling over the display that looks like the old AM dial.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/

We may have ordered it through Crutchfield
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rLHlRWDwqVl/shopsearch/retrosound.html?XVINQ=GW2&XVVer=5L6&awcp=1t1&awcr=309959724907&awdv=c&awkw=retro%20sound&awmt=e&awnw=g&awug=9011040&gclid=Cj0KCQiArozwBRDOARIsAHo2s7s4MHYP--n1cYJmcqawLDhUYPHxMU_sYilrM3hTm2Wya-PzYtRrDnwaAj1JEALw_wcB&pg=2

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
I like the looks of that radio Mike and what a beautiful Triumph

Does anyone have an original Opel GT radio that works and is willing to sell?

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I put a modern radio in my GT. It has a SD card, plays MP3's both on CD disk and the SD card. It also plays standard CD along with AM & FM radio. It also has bluetooth for receiving or making calls on your cell phone. It is a Jensen radio DIN 1. It took a little bit of cutting, but not bad. It has a bezel around the the face of the radio. and when put in place it covers any "mistakes" you may have made cutting the gauge holder.: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ668Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Hope this helps. I got it because of the different formats for music. Plus you don't have to listen to any songs you don't like. The Amazon site says they don't know when it will be back in stock, I am sure that is an upgraded radio that has all the same features. Check out Amazon, the only thing you need to know is that you want a DIN 1 radio. There are probably 50 different one to choose from. If you want to search for a radio on Amazon just fo to the link I put on this post, the remove the "Jensen" from the link. This will show you radios that will fit in a GT and will be a great addition to the sound, I would get new speakers too, if you are running the old ones, they will not keep up with the radio.

Bob
Here is a picture of the radio installed in the GT. Yes it does NOT fit the 70's period, but I think it looks good, better than that. I never get tired of the sound. It cost less than half of the price for the retro radio.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob...How did you cut the dash ?

I am looking at your picture....How did you manage to cut that bottom area....the lower hump ? yours looks perfect...did you use a Dremel or a hack saw ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Retrosound RC-900C installed powering a set of Pioneer 6X9 3 way speakers installed by the PO.I do not know the age of the head unit.I have owned the car since 2013 and i think the unit was new. I did not like the lack of bass response from just the head unit. I searched around and bought and installed a Rockville RWS12CA Slim 1200 Watt 12" Powered Car Subwoofer Enclosure + Wire Kit i found on Amazon. What a difference ! I' m old school rock and roll so i like listening to "my tunes". I use a blu-tooth doggle in the aux jack. I had to remove my spare tire for the sub. Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I am looking at your picture....How did you manage to cut that bottom area....the lower hump ? yours looks perfect...did you use a Dremel or a hack saw ?
I used a hack saw, the lower part of the opening along with the top of the opening give you the room you need to put the radio in. Make absolutely sure that you have a DIN 1 radio, none of the others will fit right. Measure three times and cut once. Same for the width. If I remember correctly I had to cut each side The the holes were cut out for the knobs on the standard radio.( so you end up with a square hole, I the hole is slightly too small (I doubt it), us a file to open it up slightly, If you measure it carefully you shouldn't have a problem. The Bezel that comes with the radio covers and slight mistakes you may have made. I wouldn't worry about that. measure the radio width and height, Draw a template, put the template on the plastic gauge holder, pencil in the cuts you are going to make, get the hacksaw and be very careful when stopping the cuts both horizontally and vertically. It sounds a lot harder than it really is. I know the feeling about screwing up the gauge holder, I too worried about it, and it only took me three days to get up enough nerve to tackle the cuts. After it was done, I had to quit for the day, exhausted just thinking about how badly it could have turned out. It ended up being perfect after the basel was in place (snaps on the body of the radio so it's not loose. I just noticed that you are concerned about the lower hump, just use that as the bottom of the radio, don't cut into it. The bottom hump will then be the the holder for the new radio. Again, I can't over stress that you make sure that you order a DIN 1 radio, it is the shortest height and the only one that will fit in the stock radio cut out. Also remember that the bezel covers about a quarter in on all sides, it does not sound like much, but it covers and marks in the gauge holder (That's what I call it anyway.)

By the way, you can use a Dremel tool if you have a thin cutoff wheel. a lot more accurate. I think I may have made some of the cuts with the thin cutoff wheel, but it was with a Foredom tool (Dremel on steroids)

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I have a Retrosound RC-900C installed powering a set of Pioneer 6X9 3 way speakers installed by the PO.I do not know the age of the head unit.I have owned the car since 2013 and i think the unit was new. I did not like the lack of bass response from just the head unit. I searched around and bought and installed a Rockville RWS12CA Slim 1200 Watt 12" Powered Car Subwoofer Enclosure + Wire Kit i found on Amazon. What a difference ! I' m old school rock and roll so i like listening to "my tunes". I use a blu-tooth doggle in the aux jack. I had to remove my spare tire for the sub. Here are some pics
Dave, yours look great, and I am sure with those speakers you can drown me out. I am cheap, so I couldn't see spending double the money for something that looked older. This one does everything CD's, SD card, AM, FM. The only one I use is the SD card, over a thousand songs, put it on random and you will never hear the same song twice, well that if you don't drive too far.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
We install the Retro Sound radios all the time, I have a video of a 1970 Strato Blue GT we are testing one on YouTube...New Vintage Auto is our channel
Keith, for those that want to keep it original, that's the way to go. I have so many mods, that it didn't really matter to me.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Some of the British Car owners I've met seem to like the sound and this keeps stock look, sold by Moss Motors a Reliable British car vendor.. high quality British Parts Supplier
https://mossmotors.com/laguna-radio-chrome-face

I was looking at this too...https://www.vintagecarradio.com/din-radios.html a little more features and a more modern Look
Just some idea's

-Mike
Mike, I guess there are more people going for the original look, I guess I have done so many things to my GT that I couldn't see paying twice the price for the radio. The second one you provided the link to looks pretty good, modern enough with all the features. I guess another reason was because of have over 2 thousand songs in MP3 format most are my favorites, so I had to have something to play them.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Hey Joel if you do a search for radios, there are several threads that will give you some good information. I too am like you, the PO cut the dash to install an updated radio from the original. . I do have an uncut dash that I have plans to install an original radio.

Most of the members have updated from the original radio to newer tech improved radios. The original radios were only AM and didn't play very well. I do know there are members out there that have original radios that may sell you.

I haven't tested the waters yet to see who would be willing to sell an original radio. I'm looking for the original radio that has the writing on the plastic face that says, Opel Radio Gt by Delco

Good luck though
Dan, don't get too close to the modern radios, I know you will want one. If you already have a dash cut for the modern radio, you should look into it first, cheaper, and modern.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
A friend out of the Netherlands have a realy nice RetroSound Radio.
Its my favorit too when they delete the analog Radio Senders.
Norbert: looks good, what is with the clock on the speedometer? That probably isn't stock. I gave up on the stock thing after I put the 2.4 and the five speed, and ghost flames on the fiberglass hood.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
We have a RetroSound system in our Triumph TR6 that we were able to configure to fit the original openings for the face and knobs. And the right type/colour of knobs and buttons that match what may have been in the car when it was new. We selected the version with 2 USB inputs (and BlueTooth but I never bothered to install the microphone) and routed the USB lines into the glovebox. One has a memory stick on it with all the music and the other line is used for charging our phones. The sound seems great (but in a 46 year old convertible....who can tell the fidelity) and has enough power to hear it over the road and wind noise.

They have changed model names around so I'm not sure which one it is. We liked it because we could use the original holes without cutting and we can put a static cling over the display that looks like the old AM dial.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/

We may have ordered it through Crutchfield
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rLHlRWDwqVl/shopsearch/retrosound.html?XVINQ=GW2&XVVer=5L6&awcp=1t1&awcr=309959724907&awdv=c&awkw=retro%20sound&awmt=e&awnw=g&awug=9011040&gclid=Cj0KCQiArozwBRDOARIsAHo2s7s4MHYP--n1cYJmcqawLDhUYPHxMU_sYilrM3hTm2Wya-PzYtRrDnwaAj1JEALw_wcB&pg=2
Wow Dan, your car looks really good. Always wanted one, but never really pursued a seller, besides, they were too expensive. So I guess I am stuck With The GT.

Bob

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Bob you make a very good point. Considering the PO already mutilated the dash with an updated radio (back then) AM/FM cassette tape. I’m fortunate though to have pulled a near perfect dash from a parts car. That’s the dash I’m eventually going to use with an original radio, if I find one. Thanks for the photos Norbert, I didn’t realize RetroSound had a radio with Opel GT on it. I wish it had the original writing by Delco, but I suppose they didn’t want to put another name other than there’s.

I attached a photo of the current radio in my GT. The AM works fine but the FM never has worked. Not sure why?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts