Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Wow Dan, your car looks really good. Always wanted one, but never really pursued a seller, besides, they were too expensive. So I guess I am stuck With The GT.

Bob
They really are not too expensive. A decent driver quality TR6 is about the same price as a very good Opel GT. A top end show quality is only a few thousand more than a driver quality. We've had ours for a few years. They are extremely reliable, very easy to work on, and very easy to find parts for. Total cost of ownership is less than that of the Opel GT. We have only done a few modifications. The biggest and most impactful modification was to install a Toyota 5 speed transmission. A great companion to the GT. Check out your local Triumph club, they probably can help you find a good one for about $15k.

Reactions: 99449

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,483 Posts

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Thanks Autoholic I saw those. I was hoping to get one that actually works and has the writing Opel Gt Radio by Delco.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,483 Posts
It's only AM radio. Aside from wanting the inside of your GT to look stock, do you ever plan to actually use the radio?

·
Senior Contributor
1,623 Posts
Originally I bought a real nice Alpine radio... it would not fit the opening...even if I cut it all out...the Alpine faceplate 1/4" is wider that the area that needed to be cut... the surround is so narrow that I could not cut that...the height of the opening is 1 3/4" and the faceplate of the Alpine is 2" so it would hang over 1/4"... that would look like heck...width and depth are fine... I have a spare uncut dash so cutting is not traumatic for me..

I want fine quality FM performance...and I am afraid one of the Retro radios just won't give hi-quality sound.
Here you Go ... My Alpine Deck installed in my 1969 Blue GT... the Alpine front template bottom trim hangs down a Bit... I can live with..that for sure.
also have a "" very Rare Destec Digital clock that keeps perfect time... and Yeah... the nice White Gauge set I made too :veryhappy

Just take your time,,, Everyone does it different.Cutting the plastic. but as long as you cut to the line.. the box should fit

You can do it too...:veryhappy Make us proud .. post a photo when your done

Attachments

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Some guys have left the stock radio in place and installed a modern radio in the spare tire area, to be operated with a remote.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,483 Posts
Some guys have left the stock radio in place and installed a modern radio in the spare tire area, to be operated with a remote.
There is a company called Secret Radio that caters to those who want to leave the original unit alone. They have various solutions to allow you to play whatever you want.

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
That is a good question and the answer is probably not. I suppose I could install an original to keep it stock looking and then mount a new and more modern in a hidden area.

I’m sure most of you would say install a more modern since the dash is already cut. I agree with Bob, looking at the newer radios and even those of you who posted your installs, I wouldn’t even be thinking of installing an original.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I put a small modern under the dash by your left leg . Keeping the original radio in place. The original radio is also linked into the sound system and works on its own if I want it too.

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
That’s what I’m looking for Dale and Autoholic ?
Any pictures of your setup? I like the idea of keeping the original radio in place and still be able to use it if I choose.
Also nice retro radio HJ70600

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Thanks Harold, I missed that thread in my search. That is a good thread with lots of possibilities. ?

Also thanks Autoholic, I got your PM and responded. ?

·
Super Moderator
3,170 Posts
Radio Conversions

There are companies out there that will take your original "Opel GT Radio by Delco" radio and put new components inside the original radio, including Bluetooth. I've been thinking about having this done. Everything stays the same except for the internal parts. The original radio knobs, faceplate, buttons all stay the same. Nobody would know there is an updated radio there!

I "Googled" vintage radios with new components and found a few companies that do it. No sure the costs. But, here is a web site that I just saw and cut and pasted their web address. It's just an example of what can be done. I have no affiliation with the company. Just an example.

https://www.ricksradioconversions.com

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Ooooner you are absolutely correct. There are companies that will update your original radio and keep the original look. That web site you included is a good example of one. My problem is I don’t have an original radio to use ?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts