Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i'm lookin to buy this 1973 manta rallaye with 78,000 miles on it and a bunch of parts carb,two fulsize tires and wheels, alternater,castets for over haul, repair manule, ext.
it has no rust aprrently drives pretty well adn the seats have been reapustred he wants $2,800 is that a good deal?

thanx zach

·
Detritus Maximus
3,114 Posts
Yeah, it ought to be a nice looking car at that price. Look for any 'home made' wiring and repaired damage (smooth fenderson the outside, but rippled inside the trunk).
The most important thing to look for on any Manta is rust of any sort on the frame rails in the wheel well just behind the front wheels. It tends to look like a roundish area that is swelling and/or splitting open. This is rust coming from inside the rail (I think mud and water get up into it and collects right on top of the subframe arm bolt. A couple years (one or two really) and it pops through. This is a costly area to fix. It can be done, but you will need to take it to a professional that can keep the frame straight if the rail needs to be cut into.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it has been repainted and the paint looks like its been in a garage i mena it looks good but almost like a really really good spray paint job :rolleyes: but my dad teaches at a cummuntiy coollege and he can get it painted proffessionaly again for me
sound like a good idea?

·
Detritus Maximus
3,114 Posts
Ask the owner what he knows about the paint and any body work. Look for over spray on window rubber, in the wheel wells, and on the door jambs. This could give you an idea of the quality of the job. Mis-matched (as in a color change) color under the hood, around the doors, or in the trunk/engine bay hurt the value.

Also, ask the owner to pull the battery out. the battery tray and the area around and below are prone to serious rust. The fuse box is just below, so any holes are a real problem.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
If its worth it to you, then it is.

Mantas are getting rarer each day and a good body doubly so.

Remember what else you can get in the market for $2800. Not much.

So don't worry about resale. $2800 is not a rip off price, and though it could be "slightly" higher than a comparable California car. But the CA car would cost $600 to ship.

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts