Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one. I have abig problem I live in the uk and as you know we drive on the left sitting in the right hand side of the car. I have my absolute dream car on the drive (opel gt) and find no problem to be honest I DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT ANY MORE driving on the left or right of the car it makes no difference. So heres my problem, my wife and I are moving the end of this year to AUSTRALIA to live, and any car you import has to be converted to righthand drive !! can this be done??????????? I would hate to sell her. I always thought I would own the car for ever, please can any one help??
( how would you get over the dash board with all the clocks set to look left?)
many thanks guys
jerry

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i would have to think that figuring out the dash would be the easy part. the real issue would be finding room for the steering column on the right hand side of the engine bay with the manifolds and such, and then finding more room to fit the brake rod, booster, and mastercylinder on that side as well. it'd surely be no easy task at all!! i wish i had some helpfull ideas for you.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
GTs in Australia

There are between 10 and 15 GTs in Australia and only one I have heard of has been made Right Hand Drive. This may mean that they do not have to be converted but more searching will be needed. I will contact our Australian Member, Cees, and see if he knows more. I know his GT is still LHD and he has it registered and running on Australian roads.
The one that has been converted comsumed close to $20,000 to get the steering wheel from the wrong side to the right side!
There is also at least one in the UK that has been converted - MotorMouth may be able to help put you in contact with the owner.
Hope we can help get another GT into Australia.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
I think I wwould check to see if there was an age limit on the car for those requirements. The Opel may be exempt. Such as here in the States, all vehicles have to go through an annual emmissions test. If it doesnt pass, you don't get to drive the car. However, it only goes back so far. Any cars older than the specific date are not required to do this test.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
hi jerry
all the ones i've seen converted to rhd have used triumph herold /spitfire dashes and an MGB rack you need to rework the electrics to get the clocks over to the other side but you can just get the trumpet loom and splice it in
i have been looking at the jag xjs dash and think its just to big by about 2"but its the 1 i will be trying to use with some surgery
ford fiesta will go in but they are horrid think the KA puma dash would work ok
or go bespoke and do it the blue peter way
mdf ,foam and sticky back plastic, you can do the dash in mdf with a jig saw and a sander then glue foam padding on for comfort then use pvc or leather to cover the insert with the clocks is just a basic flat panel
you can use the gt column or change to the triumph/mg columns

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
no barry you need a drill to do that
whoops maybe i should not say that :D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Update from Australia

First, I don't live in Australia - I am in Kiwiland but have contacts across the "pond"

I quote from an eMail just recieved from a GT owner in Melbourne, Australia: "There is no problem bringing a LHD vehicle in to Australia. In Victoria you will get a special dispensation if your car is over 30 years old. Mind you each state is diferent. I am not sure what the situation in other States is, but it must be similar."
"Do you know which city he is migrating to? I hope it is Melbourne, because I desperately need another GT freak!" Cees.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It doesn't sound like you need to convert it but here is another inexpensive, reversible option. The site mentioned is only for ideas but the concept could work in a GT. It is really noting more that a remote, belt driven steering wheel and a linkage to work the pedals.

http://www.postalthings.com/right_hand.htm

Attachments

·
Opeler
18 Posts
Greetings from Melbourne Australia

Jerry, just out of interest, which town in Australia are you migrating to? We can use another GT driver in Melbourne!

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
Tire Fryin GT said:
It doesn't sound like you need to convert it but here is another inexpensive, reversible option. The site mentioned is only for ideas but the concept could work in a GT. It is really noting more that a remote, belt driven steering wheel and a linkage to work the pedals.

http://www.postalthings.com/right_hand.htm
i have a wonder full pic in my head of someone trying this and getting belt slip on the first corner the thought of it makes me cringe other thing is how do you tell what speed you are doing when a smokey cruses up behind you :eek:

·
Opeler
18 Posts
Left Hand Drive GT

It is really no problem driving on the "wrong" side of the road baz. A GT is so narrow that it makes no difference where the steering wheel is positioned. At first I had my doubts as well but I felt confident fairly quickly. My friend had his GT converted though, as he could not get use to driving a left hand drive car on the left side of the road. I have some pictures of this car if somebody is interested?

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
A picture of an Opel? You have to ask if we're interested? Sheeez

Post it!!! :)

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
cees said:
It is really no problem driving on the "wrong" side of the road baz. A GT is so narrow that it makes no difference where the steering wheel is positioned. At first I had my doubts as well but I felt confident fairly quickly. My friend had his GT converted though, as he could not get use to driving a left hand drive car on the left side of the road. I have some pictures of this car if somebody is interested?
being from the old country i have to drive on the left anyway :D
2 of my last 5 cars were lhd and i think it helps you do drive something on the "wrong "side (which i never said anything was wrong anyway)
you get a better idea of where to start an overtaking move from (about 50 m back from the car /truck in front) so you have good speed over the object car

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
cees said:
Here two pictures of the right hand drive GT as owned by my friend in Melbourne.
He did a great job :) !! What is the story on how he did it?

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Very Nice. Even used rectangular '69 indicator lights on the dash.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
yes, thats very nice job he has done. i wonder how he got the "mirriored" dash and instrumetn cluster made.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts