Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I just went to my local auto parts store (Advanced auto parts) I hate the place too. But there is a problem, they gave me an ingition coil that is the correct 12 volt coil and what not but it is HUGE. Unlike the one that is mounted on the driver side of the engine bay on my 1973 Opel GT. The one in the bay is like a half circle and the one they gave me that they PROMISED would fit, is as freaking big as a soda can and I do not know how I am going to do this because they said they do not have my origional type of ignition coil.

Sorry I cannot get pictures seeing I do not have a digital camera but if someone has had the same problem and somehow got the coil attached can you please PM me or reply explaining how I should do this?

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
first off, let me say that trying to go thru your local auto parts stores is VERY frustrating. Thats why I really dont deal with the "do you have this? will it work?" scenario. OGTS is simply the way to go for the more complicated things. Yes, "SOME" things the local parts store may carry,....but if its not in front of you... 9 out of 10 times it wont work, or iffy at best.
Next, are you still running points??? If yes..... bugstuff has its pertronixs/flamethrower sale coming up(as a matter of fact I recently switched over and they gave me the sale price for it 3 weeks ago anyways!)84.00 w shipping!!!!:) :)
Switch over to electronic ignition, WAAAAAAY better and 1 less thing to deal with. I've owned my Opel for 10 years and fought with the Slowex.... and points... and finally broke down and replaced both. Best desicion I ever made, now I spend much more time driving and less time looking for parts. Not to mention the stooopid looks you get at the parts counter!!!!:D

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
Geez.... forgot to mention. one thing I did find at the local store was a chrome coil bracket that held the flamethrower. actually was adjustable so I didnt even have to drill holes for it. mounted right up!!

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
Bosch Blue Coil_With or W/O Internal Restance?

If you end up with (older style) Bosch "Blue" coil (advertised for VW), remember to wire it straight to a switched 12V source, NOT merely to the stock coil wires, as this coil already has internal resistance.

Now for the Bosch "Curve Ball" ...
http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/coilhdbblue.htm
OK--- Now Bosch throws another curve. New Bosch Blue coil made in Mexico. This coil has the internal resistor just like the coil on the right above. The tricky part is they come with a decal that says "No internal resistor" but this coil does have the resistor, Bosch is just using the wrong decal on the coil at present. (Best to read additional info on noted Web Site.)

Attachments

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
?

I just put a MSD blaster on my car but i also have a crane ignition box, but i think it would work if u didnt want the big one.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Um, what is the ouput voltage of the MSD blaster? Crane 500 or 700?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
The reason I ask is because of a flamed Crane 500 unit that was a direct result of a high power coil. I later found out even Pertronics can go south if you go over 30k output voltage.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jeff, points, electronic or optical ignition modules all do the same thing, one way or another, and that is to provide a ground for the coil to transform input voltage, 6-12 volts, into output voltage in the 20k-50k range. All of the electron flow creates heat, not only in the coil but the triggering system too and depending on the output voltage of the coil, the higher voltage, the more heat generated and that's what causes the triggering module or the points to burn. Similar to using a 12 gage wire from the battery to the starter instead of a 6 gage wire to turn the engine. It all depends on what the coil was designed to generate and also how much the modules were designed to take in current flow. HTH.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I had one of the big accel coils on it and within a week the Crane was toast and would only intermittently fire the weakest coil I had. I replaced it with a Pertronics and asked the vendor about it since he also sold the Crane. He told me thay both cook down above 30k. It made sence since the crane had been in the car for about a year before I went gonzo with the coil.

Ron, That's the first good explaination of why I've ever gotten.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dave, it's just something folks overlook. You gotta look at the complete circuit, from point A to B. Those after market big zappy coils draw a lot of current to do their thing and sometimes the old mechanical switches (points) are what's needed to handle the current. They just have to be changed more often because the current burns them a lot sooner because of the higher current draw. I did a sneaky years ago on my racing bikes by sticking a V-8 coil on them. The reasoning was simple, the coils were designed to fire all 8 plugs at a given RPM and by firing it less than that on my one and two cylinder engines. It had more time to charge than it was designed for, so I got a lot fatter spark at my engine's top RPM of 14000-16000 RPM. At least that was my thinking, and it seemed to work, rather well. :eek:

·
Senior Contributor
4,976 Posts
Old Thread - New Question

I was just looking through catalog that I have and came across Flame Thrower coils, they list two based on OHM ratings. One is 1.5 ohm and the other is 3.0 ohm. Is this the internal vs. external resistor, I have a Flame Thrower but now I have to figure out which one I have, and if I have the 1.5 ohm coil do I need the external resistor. The coil was merely listed as 12V when I bought it, quite some time back.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
I was just looking through catalogue that I have and came across Flame Thrower coils, they list two based on OHM ratings. One is 1.5 ohm and the other is 3.0 ohm. Is this the internal vs. external resistor, I have a Flame Thrower but now I have to figure out which one I have, and if I have the 1.5 ohm coil do I need the external resistor. The coil was merely listed as 12V when I bought it, quite some time back.
According to the Pertronix instructions, you MUST use the 3 ohm Flamethrower coil if you DO NOT use an external resistor WITH a four cylinder engine. Why not with a six or eight cylinder engine? IDK, but the Pertronix instructions are pretty clear. So if you have the 1.5 ohm coil, then you MUST use the external resistor to power the coil with a four cylinder engine. But the Pertronix itself should be powered with a NON-RESISTOR supply.
HTH

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
One is 1.5 ohm and the other is 3.0 ohm. Is this the internal vs. external resistor, I have a Flame Thrower but now I have to figure out which one I have,
Measure across the positive to negative terminals on the coil with a multimeter.
Running voltage of 14 volts with a 1.3 ohm coil will pull 10.7 amps.
The same running voltage with a 3 ohm coil will pull 4.6 amps.
Is your wiring up to the load?
I like a fast ramp time with a current limiter :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts