Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The January '05 issue of R&T features on page 41 - hold on now - a road-going, Kappa platform-based Opel GT! Read the paragraph for what it's worth...but consider, how long has it been since an accompanying photo w/article mentioning 'Opel GT' has appeared in R&T? What, 30+ years?

Not that anyone needs to get their hopes up in light of the marketing issues/US safety requirements/dealership network, or lack thereof. But...the last sentence states: "The GT is evidence that a coupe version may not be far behind for the U.S. market."

It's a nice looking ride, though!

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
It looks like that car will indeed make it to the U.S. shores in '07 under the Saturn Sky tag. I have heard rumors of the Sky being on the Kappa platform (front-engine, rear drive) and on the Speedster/VX220 (mid-engine) platform. I think that most of the confusion on that point is based on the likelihood of the Speedster/VX220's "evolving" into Kappa based roadsters, i.e. Pontiac Solstice. So in effect, the Sky will be based on the Speedster, but Speedster will be redefined as we know it, leaving the Lotus Elise as the sole featherweight mid-engine roadster in the General's stable. The Kappa platform has been described as refined, stable and porky.

It looks like the following Kappa cars have a serious future on the horizon:
Opel Speedster (roadster)
Opel GT (coupe)
Vauxhall Lightning (roadster)
Pontiac Solstice (roadster)
Saturn Sky (roadster)

I would imagine that there will be a coupe bound for the US market too, but we'll have to wait and see where it comes from.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lotus Elise...Yeah baby! Followed one on the Interstate a while back in my GT.

Attachments

·
Driver
987 Posts
I found these pix of a drop top model.

Attachments

·
Driver
987 Posts

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts