Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is on short notice so I will make it short as sweet.

I am heading up to Brew town (Milwaukee) tonight (9/30/05). I will be looking a at a GT for my brother on Saturday morning and if everthing turns out I will be hitting the road with it ASAP.

So this weekend if you live between Milwaukee and Atlanta GA along US 65 24 and 75 please be aware I am on the way thru :D .

·
1,712 Posts
Be careful up there in yankee land :eek: and drive safe :D
Guyopel

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
guyopel said:
Be careful up there in yankee land and drive safe
Guyopel
I will. Thanks for the words.
As far as those Yankee's I am only worred about the ones with Radar Guns;). I am planning to keep it under the limit but you never know about some of those small towns and the accuracy of the guns :eek:

Ok I am getting on the big bird and heading North. I am sure I will have a story to tell when I get back!

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
Come on Rick, lets here the story! Just how much stuff can you cram into a GT???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yellaopelgt said:
Come on Rick, lets here the story! Just how much stuff can you cram into a GT???
Boy do I.

First of all I would like to tell everyone I am home/work safe and sound so that is first off!!

Second, I will like to say thank your to Joe (yellaopelgt) for the place to stay in Milwaukee (two blocks from the Milwaukee Mile).

Third, A big thank you to Dave & Son in Lebanon TN, Brett in Murfreesboro TN for their help and offer for help.

Now for the story,

Flew into Milwaukee on Friday (09/30/05) night (9:00pm). Joe picked me up at the airport.

He took me to his place and showed off the car he has. Great car it is one of the best cars I have seen in original condition. He is the second owner!! He even has the original price tag and papers!! He has some work on the engine and then it is ready to go!! I was real impressed with his car!! We were up till past midnight doing bench races and talking about kid/wives/cars…(the normal stuff).

By the time I went to sleep it was 1:00 am (I think). I was so excited that I was up at 6:00am ready to go and look at Reason’s Opel. Joe had to work so I made arrangement with Reason to pick me up at the Milwaukee Mile (Outside the track along the road) at 11:00am. During the time prior to Reason picking me up I walked into the grandstand around the Race track and watched the “Richard Petty’s Driving Experience”, verrry cool.

Reason picked me up and took me to his Opel. I was to say the less impressed the car. He had a all of the suspension redone and upgraded!! The paint was a worked and there were some rust holes that need to be repaired (for a 30+ year’s) very good since it was in the North (it would have been good even from the South)! Checked every thing I could think of (Compression, Oil PSI, Water, Oil level, under bell rust) it looked within norms or better. Did a few drives around the block. Purchased the car then packed it with all that we could fit in it. Drove over to Joe's (yellaopelgt) he took the photo's. I said thank you to his and his wife's hospitality. They gave me directions out of Milwaukee. It was 4:30 pm (correct me if I am wrong Joe).

More to follow on the adventure later - I have to get kids to school and me to work!!

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Rick;
Just to let you know how far your "cry for help" went, I got a call from Harold and he called me!!:eek:
Gene

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BQS4 said:
Rick;
Just to let you know how far your "cry for help" went, I got a call from Harold and he called me!!:eek:
Gene
All I can say is WOW! Talk about a great group of folks!! I had one guy that was about to jump in his car and drive 45min to me and help (I think his name was Steve) He lived in TN off exit 97 north of Nashville.

More to come later. Let me download some of the photos to show the story a little better!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
yellaopelgt said:
Ok, here is part 2 of the story.

I made it out of Wisconson with no trouble. Stopped on 1hr north of the Windy City (Chicago) and had lunch/supper. When I was BK (Burger King), I watched the car and the folks around it. Everyone that came by it had to look:D . Even the guy taking out the trash, it looked like he was checking the can 3 or 4 times so he could stay out longer looking at the car.

I made it thru Chicago with no trouble and all the way to Anderson Indy (Sister-In-Law) stay over. Stayed the night in Anderson and hit the road at 9:30 am (EST). (See photo of Sister-In-Law in front of Bob Evans).

I was doing good and stoped for gas and lunch a little north of the National Corvette Museum. I though that it would be cool to take a couple of photos of the car in front of the museum and so I stoped by and took a few photos. (See photos in front of musem). When I got back on the highway from the stop at the musem going to 3rd to 4th all of a sudden I lost all power and the engine was backfiring and would not run :eek: ! I pulled as far to the side of the road and poped the hood. From the way it sounded and acting I though it had something to do with the ignition. I poped the rotor cap off and sure enough the rotor was free spinning (It was broke).

I made some phone calls (fellow opeler in the area - Music City was the closes, and my dad if FLA). I felt all alone, but I was quickly felt like the cordinator of a great project. My dad was able to get in touch with a local parts place 1/2 mile from the exit and a taxi company to deliver the parts to me on the side of the road. I one person get in touch with one of his buddies that was only 45 min from me and offer to come up and help me out. I told him thank you but I had the parts on the way.

Well the taxi came by with the parts stuck around until I was able to get the car running again (it was very out of time but I was able to get it to run).

I was able to make a phone call to Dave on the way from Bowling Green KY to Nashville and asked for assitance to get the timeing correct. He said no trouble and gave me some directions to the exit off the highway to him. I was able to nurse the car to that exit and to the first parking lot to the right of the exit (I coasted in to the parking place). Called Dave and could not get in touch with him. So I went in to the resturant that I parked in and had supper. Did not feel like eating but I forced down some fried cheese. Called Dave after supper and he gave me directions to his place from were I was on my way....but the car was not. It would not run enough to pull out into traffic so I went next door to the Day's Inn parking lot in front with lot of light and called Dave. He came and after a few moments he had the car singing better than when I started the trip (it would idle). {The major trouble was both the vacume advance and the retard were not connected}.

I was off to Atlanta again (Yea!!). (9:30pmEST)

After a little bit of time I noticed that at certen RPMs and loads on the engine, the car did not like to run but above or below that RPM so I would nurse it around those areas.

Well that area of not wanting to run got bigger and bigger the longer I drove. I was able to keep it running until I got 42 miles from home (exit 320 on 75 south) time now was 1:00am EST on Monday morning. It stoped and I cound not do any thing to get it fired up at all (not even a backfire). I called the local PD and asked for help. I told them I was on the side of the road on the exit ramp and need some help. About an 1hr later I was on a flatbed tow truck heading home.

At home we were able to unload the car and paid the tow truck operator $105 in cash (I got that after two trips to the ATM "Another Story").

Monday evening I was able to look at the car in the daylight and figure out what happen. The distributer cap's center terminal came out and all that was conducting the electricity was the little spring that held the terminal, overtime it went away and would no longer conduct power to the rotor. I now have it running again but it is now back out of timeing (I thought it was timeing in the dark and tried to correct it and lost were Dave had it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yellaopelgt said:
Just how much stuff can you cram into a GT???
You can fit;
4 stock wheels with rims
1 bellypan
1 box of misc parts - rubber seals for front window and doors
1 Fire Extinguisher
1 drivers seat (disasembled)
1 tool set
2 bags of clothes (enough for 3 days)
1 gallon of H2O
1 gallon of coolant
1 engine head
1 exhaust manafold
1 FI Intake manafold
1 CD player
Various CD's

I think that is it!!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I remember seeing a couple spare cubic inches of space on the dash...surely you could have squeezed in just a bit more?

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
I'm glad you made it safely home Rick, and it really was a pleasure meeting a fellow Opeler, I'm sure your bro will appreciate all the turmoil you went thru to get the car safely to him!!! At least you can remind him on a daily basis!!!(I know I would!!!) Until we meet again,
Joe :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
so nice to hear the full saga

For some reason the photos you take of that little car all look better than mine :eek:( Im glad you had miminal trouble on the way back. Ill try to keep track of your progress, so please up date us often. Ill miss that little car. Your box should be to you soon. I looked and cant find the warrenty for the wheels any where. well got to run keep in touch... Reason

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reason,
The number of smiles per mile I had and saw with that car was well worth the drive and all the trouble....I know people think I was crazy for doing the drive of 700+miles with an unknowen car but I had had fath in the car and in your ability of have in good runner! Knowbody I have talked to has ever had a rotor break so that was just the way it goes, (it made it an adventure!!)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Steve ;)

It was a good thing that you did not come up. There was an accident on 65north and it had traffic bound up worse than Atlanta traffic on Friday before a 3day weekend!!

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
great looking gt

Rick: Is this yellow one going to be your primary gt? or are you going to finish the primered one first?

love the wheels, body looks sweet

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dean,
The Yellow Wisconson Opel is my brothers Opels the primer one is mine. I will get his running. (The timeing is off and the electronic points appear to be off).

I had a somebody come by last night to look at mine to give me a idea of what to do with all the rust (his sandblast for a living). It looks like I will have to invest/build a rotissary to what I think needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It lives!! I was able to get the car to run and run well. I am going to do some driving around to see if it is set right!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts