Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my lifters from solid to hydraulic. On the rocker arms are these tabs ( We'll call them that) that seat on the top of the lifters. I guess they throw the oil up unto the fulcrum.All other engines i've rebuilt,( V-8's) that had hydraulic lifters, have had holes in the rocker arms where they seat on the push rods. When changing to hydraulic lifters, are the tabs to be removed so the oil can be pumped through the holes left in the rocker arms? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
KJHuffman said:
. When changing to hydraulic lifters, are the tabs to be removed so the oil can be pumped through the holes left in the rocker arms? :confused:
Nope, same setup for solid or hydraulic. Unlike a Chevy, which has oil from the cam/lifters pumped up the pushrod and to the rocker arms, the Opel engine has pressurized oil pumped through the rocker studs to feed the rocker arms (they are rifle-drilled).

That 'tab' on the rocker arm is the actual contact point between the rocker and lifter, you'll see they're a ball/socket type fit. And they must be able to slide fore and aft, to compensate for the rocker arm's arc movement, and are really there to locate the rockers side-to-side. Without them the rockers would fall off the lifters (no pushrods and guide plates like a Chevy).

HTH!
Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts