Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 1970 GT and though it is pretty solid, it needs rocker panels. Anyone ever have any luck finding them? I figure no point in junk yards as I'm sure they won't have any in better shape. Googled all over with no luck.
Todd

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Not to discurage you, but if your rockers have significant rust damage the entire car will have rust damage. It's just the nature of these cars. On the bright side even rusty cars can be saved.

If you don't find a source for rockes. You can buy sheet metal from auto body suppliers. Take measurments of where you need bends, at about how many degrees and get a sheet metal shop or even air and vent shop to bend it to your requirements.
I build the entire bottom 2 inches of both my doors this way. It proved to be an effective and cheap solution for me anyways. The biggest problem I had was finding a shop who can bend long strips of steel over well past 90 degree bends. In my case I needed 150 degrees wich an air and vent shop did with ease!

Attachments

Reactions: 2opelgtsinidaho

·
Opeler
1,131 Posts
Todd, Splended auto parts in Germany carries the floor panel, inner side panel, outer rocker panel, and the jacking points, along with some fender wheel well panels. This is a very common problem with the GT East of the Mississippi :yup:
Yeah, and the last time I checked pricing for 2 floor pans and all the rocker pieces for both sides from Splendid, it was $1600 shipped to me, little steep for my blood, I personally will make the necessary pieces myself.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Todd, Splended auto parts in Germany carries the floor panel, inner side panel, outer rocker panel, and the jacking points, along with some fender wheel well panels. This is a very common problem with the GT East of the Mississippi :yup:
Google can't seem to find "splended auto" or any likeness in Germany. Would you happen to have a web address or link to it?

·
Befuddled
227 Posts
Todd,

I'm in a similar boat, and will be ordering rockers (inner, medial, and outer) from Splendid, but skip the floor pans.

There is info here on the site about using pans from a 68 mustang.

Yes they're not direct fit, and will require cutting and piecing to make them work, but you can get them for around $20 a side.

even if you dropped the cash to buy the floor pans from splendid, they'll be so huge, you'd need to take out a second mortgage just to ship them from germany. :lmao:

Reactions: pherrley

·
Registered
72 Posts
Contact "Current to Classic" out of the Detroit area. They make several floor pans and if you have demensions can make some for you. If there is enough intrest they would do rockers and floor pans. I think it's C2C.com

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I found a guy locally who is going to make some. If they turn out nice I ask him to keep a pattern so he can make them again on request. I'll post the results in a couple months.
Todd

·
Registered
61 Posts
I been thinking about a solution to this floor and rocker panel problem too. Has anyone thought about getting rockers off other type cars that are out there in the junkyards? Got to be something with all the different makes and models that have be made since the GT that will be close. I added some pictures of different views of a Gt rocker panel I had. I was thinking how simple it really is made and how to tie in box tubing in it to give new strength. Maybe did the job in the day but it sure looks flimsy to me.

Attachments

·
Befuddled
227 Posts
or there is a super solid GT with perfect floors and rockers 4-5 hours away from clyde
Is it one of yours?

I been thinking about a solution to this floor and rocker panel problem too. Has anyone thought about getting rockers off other type cars that are out there in the junkyards? Got to be something with all the different makes and models that have be made since the GT that will be close.
The problem with rocker panels, is that they are so very specific...

It's such a small area to work with, and the body shape, and door openings vary so wildly between models, that no two are remotely similar...

·
Befuddled
227 Posts
Contact "Current to Classic" out of the Detroit area. They make several floor pans and if you have demensions can make some for you. If there is enough intrest they would do rockers and floor pans. I think it's C2C.com
c2cfabrication.com

c2c.com is a cloud storage company:lmao:

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
CLyde buddy ol pal. before you order rockers and floor pans, sand that girl down and poke some holes in her. Please confirm she isnt too far gone. Perhaps by the time you get done, you might wish you found a different GT.

Yes it is one of mine and it is super solid. Came from Minneapolis actually.just needs a little tlc on rear corner. I planned on saving it for the future but im going american muscle next.

I mean no disrespect and am trying to help you not bum you out.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just picked up a 1970 GT and though it is pretty solid, it needs rocker panels. Anyone ever have any luck finding them? I figure no point in junk yards as I'm sure they won't have any in better shape. Googled all over with no luck.
Todd
Todd,

I ran this past Todd and he said why is anyone looking anywhere other than here where we have parts from hundreds of sunny southern cars. Call us direct at 909-355-OPEL(6735). We can get you rockers for $100 a side plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Todd,

I'm in a similar boat, and will be ordering rockers (inner, medial, and outer) from Splendid, but skip the floor pans.

There is info here on the site about using pans from a 68 mustang.

Yes they're not direct fit, and will require cutting and piecing to make them work, but you can get them for around $20 a side.

even if you dropped the cash to buy the floor pans from splendid, they'll be so huge, you'd need to take out a second mortgage just to ship them from germany. :lmao:
If you have not already bought from Splendid we can get you rockers for $100 a side plus shipping. This is factory original Opel parts. We have been known for sheet metal forever and are sure there are lots of East Coasters with stories about how their cars were built with Opels Unlimited sheet metal over the last 20 years. It's hard to get, but we have always had it in stock the entire 31 years of our company and there is no replacement for original Opel parts versus after-market created stuff. It is not cost effective and doesn't look the same anyways.

·
Befuddled
227 Posts
CLyde buddy ol pal. before you order rockers and floor pans, sand that girl down and poke some holes in her. Please confirm she isnt too far gone. Perhaps by the time you get done, you might wish you found a different GT.

Yes it is one of mine and it is super solid. Came from Minneapolis actually.just needs a little tlc on rear corner. I planned on saving it for the future but im going american muscle next.

I mean no disrespect and am trying to help you not bum you out.
Thanks for the heads up.

If you have not already bought from Splendid we can get you rockers for $100 a side plus shipping. This is factory original Opel parts. We have been known for sheet metal forever and are sure there are lots of East Coasters with stories about how their cars were built with Opels Unlimited sheet metal over the last 20 years. It's hard to get, but we have always had it in stock the entire 31 years of our company and there is no replacement for original Opel parts versus after-market created stuff. It is not cost effective and doesn't look the same anyways.
Thanks
this is good to know

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I started stripping paint from my 1969 GT after I brought her home last Memorial Day weekend, I discovered that there were rust holes pretty much from the front wheel well to the tail on both sides! At some point, someone had sprayed household expanding insulation foam up into the body cavity for a base to put bondo on. It was UGLY. I bought a 135 MIG welder from Eastwood, found a few good Youtube videos and taught myself how to weld (by day I'm a banker, I had NO idea what the he!! I was doing). I did buy new floor pans from Europe and welded them in, but for all of the body work, I cut out the bad parts and got 22 gauge steel sheets at Home Depot and welded them in. I also built a $140 DIY rotisserie that I'm pretty proud of. The welding isn't pretty, but it's solid, and I just started adding a little bondo to make it look good (better than the 3 inch deep stuff that was there before). Anyway, if I can do it, anybody can. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts