Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1970 GT had been unattended to for a few years, but with my son now interested in the car, mine desire to get back on it was too... so I spent some money and decided to start refreshing the interior... by no means making it show or restored, but to just make it clean, comfortable and habitable.

Items on the list to do:
  • Dash pad I have a great original dash pad I purchased years ago, since the original one was in terrible shape and covered even more terribly in vinyl.
  • Replace cracked gauge cluster with clean one I got with the purchase of @sawdust Red one 17 years ago
  • Both kick panel cards (OGTS)
  • Both quarter panel cards (OGTS)
  • New carpet (OGTS)
  • New spare tire shelf flap/cover (OGTS)
  • Rear speaker shelf cover (OGTS)
  • Sound deadening (FatMat)
  • Replace Heater Core, clean fan, housing (OGTS)
  • Replace cracked Heater control panel (OGTS)
  • Replace weatherstripping around doors (OGTS)
  • New dome light with LED (OGTS)
  • Other items
    • new Fuel sender (OGTS)
    • checked vent hoses (had already been done with fuel line!!)
    • stereo upgrade including subwoofer install
    • replace worn lower alternator mount bushings (OGTS)
    • shore up heater/cooling hoses (remove remnants left from DGAV carb since replaced with DGEV)
    • New Wires and Plugs
    • Flamethrower coil (OGTS)
Unfortunately, I didn't take any "before" pictures of the condition the dash was in... maybe I can dig some old photos up.

The project was supposed to be complete so I could attend this year's Route 66 Mother-road event in Springfield, IL in September 2021. I had most everything done, so I started the trek down, only to overheat about 40 minutes in, so I never made it. This was a bummer. I will be there next year in better shape.

1970 GT Interior refresh - 2021

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Discoveries
  • PO rewired headlights to a 3 way toggle switch. "new" dash had the defroster indicator, so I removed that and installed the toggle there.(had to remove a small amount of dash material to accommodate the size of the switch, not visible to driver or passenger)
  • Red and Candy Cane wires were installed reversed by a PO on Ammeter
  • Fuel vent lines had already been replaced by a PO
  • New Dash cluster panel had counter-sunk holes where the original had studs
  • Floor pans were in great shape, just a couple of spots with some surface rust (since treated)
  • Rockers on both sides have some rust and some (poorly done) repairs are noted. Will attend to this when body work phase starts (2022?)
  • Put new Speedo (1062) in, as I am anticipating receipt of a Getrag 240 soon, to be installed before storing the car for winter.
  • Pulling and installing dash pad with windshield in was "fun" ... highly recommend a 1/8" flat head cabinet driver, about 10" in length
  • Single DIN stereos with slide out screens WON'T WORK IN A GT since the radio is "sunken" to the panel above
  • Needed qty 2 carpet padding from OGTS to do whole car... used 1.5 of it all told.
  • Had to trim carpet to make fit, especially on tunnel and footwell on driver side
    • Unfortunately had to cut into the part of the drivers side tunnell carpet on the driver's footwell that was covered in vinyl including the stitching securing it, so I sprayed adhesive to minimize any wrinkling, etc

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this point, I am unsure how to finish the install of the top portion of vinyl with the new rear quarter cards... does anyone have a picture (or even better, steps) of how this looks installed? Plan is to replace window rubber once OGTS has in stock again.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Window Hood Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,553 Posts
You have to remove your windows and rubber to do a proper interior upholstery and headliner redo. By the looks of your window rubber, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace all your non-door window rubber.

You use Goop(or similar) and contact cement and sheet metal paper clips from an office supply store. Like this:

Orange Sleeve Gesture Yellow Finger
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Wheel Plant Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting
String instrument String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Wood
Plant Event Plucked string instruments Wood Leisure
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Tread

·
Registered
73 Posts
At this point, I am unsure how to finish the install of the top portion of vinyl with the new rear quarter cards... does anyone have a picture (or even better, steps) of how this looks installed? Plan is to replace window rubber once OGTS has in stock again. View attachment 438297 View attachment 438298
WOW, Kudo's to you for doing all this with the windows still in place !! Especially the dash removal !! As for the rear deck panel. That is held in place with clips just like the door panels. I use a thin piece of lauan plywood covered in padding & vinyl that fits in where the old panel was. I drilled up thru the spare tire area thru the existing holes into the panel board before covering and used modern plastic press in pins for 8mm holes. I also like you, used the rubber membrane "tar Board" sound deadener on my GT restores. Does not do much to stop the noise, but it absolutely makes the floor boards water proof on the inside. If your door seals leak however, the water will be trapped in your carpet and you can have a fog on the inside of your car on a cool morning. So keep an eye on your carpets to make sure they are dry. Great Job !!

·
Registered
73 Posts
You have to remove your windows and rubber to do a proper interior upholstery and headliner redo. By the looks of your window rubber, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace all your non-door window rubber.

You use Goop(or similar) and contact cement and sheet metal paper clips from an office supply store. Like this:

View attachment 438299 View attachment 438300 View attachment 438301 View attachment 438302 View attachment 438303 View attachment 438304
I tried looking at the clips, .......but the posters in the background won!!! LOL. I have a GT sitting in the garage with about 800 clips on it like this.......My wife said WTF when she saw it...

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I used plastic chip clips on the doors... worked great!

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, yeah I figured the rubber needed to be out... thank you for confirming. I guess that is a project for next year.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok, yeah I figured the rubber needed to be out... thank you for confirming. I guess that is a project for next year.
You probably have already done this before, but for people that do not know, CUT the rubber seal and get a new one even if the seal looks good. The windshield cracks extremely easy. A new seal is much less expensive than a new window.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts