Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been using roller rockers from Harland Sharp for a number of years now in my race motors. My contact at Harland Sharp is Randy Becker Jr ( [email protected] ) I wanted to have spare lash caps because I only had one set and a couple of race motors. These lash caps fit over the concave portion of the CIH mechanical lifters and provide a smooth rolling surface for the lifter side of the roller rocker. I had 120 made (15 sets).. I am keeping 5 sets, Rally Bob has 3 sets. 2 sets are left for sale at $120 per set plus $8.00 for USPS priority mail shipping. They are made from 8620 steel, heat treated to 62Rc, and the top is honed. All specs are according to the engineers at Harland Sharp to work well with the roller rockers. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested in a set.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Got mine already, they look great!

Reactions: NC-K9 and jmbinjax

·
Registered
153 Posts

Thanks, Peter!

Now if I can just get Randy to return my email. He replied to my first email....

"I have to make the trunion fulcrums. It’s going to be a while before I will have them completed."

Inquired about how to buy, what they cost and general time frame. Hopefully hear something after the holiday.

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Send him another email if you don't hear back from him in the next few days. Opel rockers are obviously not their main concern. I'm just glad they make them. It will likely take a few months for them to build them, but a bigger order would likely move things along faster.

·
Opeler
877 Posts
That's about what I paid a few years ago, somewhere in that neighborhood. They come complete with a set of polylocks.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,138 Posts
Do these lash caps come with a set of roller rockers from Harland Sharp? Or would you have to buy them separately?

·
Pedal Smasher
2,138 Posts
I just talked to Randy at Harland Sharp. He is making more of these rockers and they should be done in 2 or 3 months.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just talked to Randy at Harland Sharp. He is making more of these rockers and they should be done in 2 or 3 months.
Good deal. Been busy painting my house, hadn't got around to calling him. Did he say what they cost and if you can pay for them now. Thanks

·
Pedal Smasher
2,138 Posts
He didn't say what they cost but he is taking down information. He's not charging anything yet. I gave him all my contact info. This is the most solid "it's in the works" I've gotten from him out of a few check-ins over the years. For a while it was next summer we should have them. Then suddenly it seems Harland Sharp produced some a few months ago. It also seems that there is a Teflon spacer now to help the trunnions stay locked together, looking at these photos. That didn't used to be there when these rockers first came out. Aside from Bob's roller lifter / roller rocker setup that is now unobtanium, this is probably the best setup that you can still get.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,705 Posts
IT Manta, do you have a side view pix of these rockers (like taken from the front end of the head), showing the rocker angles relative to valve axis, with valve closed and open?

Any further info on cam lift, spring pressures and rates, and rocker ratio would be appreciated. Or point us to another thread if it is already documented. Many tnx.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,138 Posts
I got my lash caps yesterday, thanks! I've repackaged them into a plastic ziplock and then a small tin and sealed it. Might be a tad overkill but I won't be using them for a while. I'm still collecting parts for my C24NE and then at some point I'll have to find a shop to bore the block. Not sure if a line hone or squaring the deck will be needed? I only plan to having the block machining done by someone else. I'll do the head work and assembly.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,705 Posts
Not sure if a line hone or squaring the deck will be needed?
How hard are you going to run it? If you have a known good & true straight edge, then you can check the line bore to see how it is with the caps torqued in place. I've done just 1 line hone/bore: after an oil pressure faliure locked the crank. Blocks that were known to have not been over heated have been used as-is; mostly rally use at moderate HP; limited traction is the norm, so there potentially is less twisting abuse on the driveline in that competition compared to drag or road race. But there is plenty of sustained hard running, up to an hour at a time. Never had any odd bearing wear or hints of failures.

As for square decking, again how good does it need to be? I've honestly not had any 1.9L block square-decked, and it is easy to verify the deck height front to back by moving 1 piston-rod assembly from bore to bore and checking each. Just decked to be know good and flat and with a good finish, with good sealing in mind.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Any further info on cam lift, spring pressures and rates, and rocker ratio would be appreciated. Or point us to another thread if it is already documented. Many tnx.
Peter (IT Manta) can reply about his camshaft specs.

If you want to see his cylinder head buildup, you can look here:

·
Registered
153 Posts
For anybody else interested in the rockers, got this from Randy today.

"You can email me your address information and I can put you on the list. I have a few other inquiries for these and should be getting at them here soon."

May want to grab a set of caps from Peter and get on the list. Who knows when this opportunity will come again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts