Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hmmmm.......I do have a few wetsuits laying around from my surfing days......hmmmm.......yeah........I could wear one of those when I drive the Wagon and pour a pitcher of ice water inside it on the hot days!!!!! Brilliant!

And it will prevent me from falling asleep behind the wheel. Not too many things wake you up quicker than icey water inside your wetsuit!

:lmao:

·
Senior Contributor
1,623 Posts
No really No kidding aside ... I had a friend that was into Airplanes, Cessna 150 and he had a portable A/C system in his plane
It's good for Day trips, Works using Dry Ice or Ice Block and a special box and blower fan.. probably could make your own.
but I can tell you it works Great., and hardly any water, takes up some space.
I would not recommend for a dally driver GT.
Check it out
Arctic Air Portable Air Conditioner (52 qt. - single fan - 24 volt) - from Sporty's Pilot Shop

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wow! Wow! Wow!

I was googling about how electric cars pull off the HVAC miracle and I found this article that suggests pairing their 12V electric pump with one of the Vintage Air HVAC combo units, plus extra gizmos, for a cost of about $2000 or less. I've already been leaning heavily towards a Vintage Air HVAC unit for the Wagon redo and I like working with that company and it's devices:

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.co...r-how-can-you-decide-if-one-is-right-for-you/

Once I get the Wagon cleaned up and working good enough to consider driving it daily, I could rewire, install a bigger alt, add the HVAC, and then do my dash and interior redo. I don't really plan on doing any expensive changes to the Wagon, so this one big expense on this item could be justified. If I do actually use it as a daily driver, I would definitely need A/C.

It's a shame, the GTX already has the infrastructure to do this mod, as it's envisioned in the article(which I haven't read through yet). I really, really, don't want to add more/different pulleys and congest my engine compartment with a fan driven pump. I can live with the extra radiator in front of the radiator and the coolant lines, but no more junk attached to the engine. I've got a 100A alternator and a rewired car with a modern electrical system, plus a custom dash that I can alter at will and a pre-existing Vintage Air heating unit and ductwork. Buuuuuut, I don't really have any desire for A/C in the GTX. I always drive with the windows down and I just don't really feel like pleasure driving my GT when it's 90*+ with high humidity, which is about the only time I would want A/C in a GT.

·
Registered
999 Posts
My wife's Sonata Hybrid has electric A/C. It is powered by the hybrid batteries. When parked someplace waiting like a cell phone lot, you just leave the car on. The engine cycles to charge the batteries while the A/C runs continuously. I suspect it is power hungry and is controlled by the computer. So although it's not driven by a belt, it will put a significant (31 or 50 amps) load on the alternator.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts