Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Opeler
17 Posts
I was just wodering if anyone has ever thought about swapping a 13b or even a 12a rotary engine into an opel? hell, there would even be space left over to spare as well as the fact that a 12a carburetted puts out 135 horses.the mazda rear end would be easy to swap in too if it would fit, which I have a "wide body" (1 foot wide fender flares front and back) so I'm sure it would fit. not only that, but the rx-7 is heavier than the opel and I've seen the damn things pop wheelies on slicks. other advantages are the fact that the engines sound really good and can rev as far as 10,000 rpm. (some claim 11k) I was also wondering if anyone has pictures of modified body'd opels? I wanna get a good idea as to what I can do to change the appearance of this car besides the flares and front "body kit" -Colt

Moderators note: Moved to the Engine Swap Forum

·
Opeler
44 Posts
There was a nice rotary GT conversion for sale in Connecticut about a year ago. I didn't see it in person, or drive it, and I have no idea where it went, but I guess it proves that it can be done.

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, it would be very nice, also reliability would be better do to the fact that for every rotation of the rotors, the output shaft rotates 3 times. This is what enables the engines to rev to 10k rpm, because in truth, the rotors are only revving to 3,333 rpm. ingenius. thanx wankel! -colt

·
Driver
987 Posts

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
I actually bought the rotary GT that was for sale in CT last year. If you would like pictures, I can probably send you some (or maybe submit them here). The big things that needed to be done for the conversion were:
  • Fabricate a new cross member/motor mount for the rotary to sit on.
  • Have a driveshaft made to fit the back of the Mazda 5 speed and the Opel rear end.
  • Replace the throttle linkage
  • Lower the front of the car (the rotary weighs less than the stock block)

·
Registered
214 Posts
pics

I for one would like to see them.

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, I'd really appreciate it. Send the pictures to [email protected] and try to send all that you can even if it does have to be a few emails or so. My plans for the swap are to take the eaton m-90 supercharger I have and modify it to the rotary. shouldn't be hard at all. I've done 3 m-90 mods to a honda, acura, and an audi coupe 5000 quattro. thanks for the help. -Colt

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
id like to see the pics if they could be posted to this site just be cool to see how it all fits in and every thing. thats an idea since u would save room with the rotary engine u could actauly put a turbo on it, unlike the stock motor. also i rember hearing somewhere about the rotary engines that a main seal in them fails at about 75,000 miles or so, and it has to be replaced just wondering about this and if it is true and if so how hard is it to change the seal or whatever this thing is that fails in the engine. also how much does a rotary motor cost in comparison to say a v6 conversion or a similair conversion??

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
From my experience with 13b rotaries, once you're past 80k, you're driving on borrowed time. Also, these engines require specialized machining to be rebuilt correctly. From what I gathered while being a member of RX-7 mailing lists, most home-refurbs do not last long.

But man, are those twin turbos fun!

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, I got a buddy who has a rotary with almost 300k on it, and besides, the damn things are a dime a dozen here in washington. literally EVERYWHERE. But anyways, I really wann see those pics. let me know when they come around -colt

·
Registered
16 Posts
rotary GT

Interesting thread to say the least. Just finished restoring my 73 GT, well almost, as soon as I get a new windshield. Just so happens my next project was going to be an 88 RX-7, as a matter of fact got it sitting under a cover outside the garage. Got it on the cheap, the motor is the best thing about it right now, runs like brand new. Can you say Hmmmmm?

Roger

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
Pictures have been uploaded to my member gallery, and are awaiting Admin approval. The light was not the best for picture taking (it was really bright out, making the engine bay seem like a cave). Hopefully they'll be veiwable soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also interested in putting a 13B in an Opel GT. I have extensive experience with rotaries and no experience with Opel GTs, but it seems like a reasonable swap. I have a fresh 1989 13B Turbo and I have found an Opel GT with a good, sound body and interior. I live near San Antonio, TX and there were several references to two 13B conversions in San Antonio. Does anyone have contact information for Martin Reimber or the other person mentioned? Just don't want to re-invent the wheel any more than I have to!

Thanks,
Bill Glaze
[email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Note the pictures on e-bay. The rotary is pre-1981. If it's a 13B, it didn't come out of an RX-7 (maybe a pickup or a Cosmo). Also has an automatic transmission, and clearly written on the air cleaner - No Compression! :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
For you body kit situation, just look around. OpelGTSource.com has flares and front spoilers, and limited body kits but do have some. But, if your trying to get that Ricer look......good luck. Opels were never intended to look that way, so no aftermarker company has made any to fit and Opel that I am aware of. My only suggestion, is if you find one you like, order it, make the measurements (be very precise) and cut it. But this is very very tricky and hard to do. The body kit can split, expecially if its fiberglass, or even if it doesnt, your cuts have to be nearly perfect in order for it to look right. But my suggestion, keep looking for a company that makes them so you dont have anything to worry about. Let me know if you find any.

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
No Compression
Eeek! Didn't see that. As for the source of the engine, I have a 13b in my GT that came from a mid 70's RX-4 (I believe).

·
Opeler
99 Posts
sound turbo II...how much to make it fit...?

Hey, I recently found a '90 turbo II rx7 for sale....its the full car and the owner is pretty much giving it away ($300...rearended). Anyhow before i went out and bought it, i was wondering if anyone could give me a rough price estimate on a conversion...The mazda has a sound engine ...I drove it today and it will put rubber down in 2nd...and because its the whole car, i could pull any wiring harnesses and such out of it, not to mention the rearend possibilities...Anyhow I just want to know what i might be getting into before i go out and blow $300...
Thanks,
Rob

1 - 20 of 68 Posts