Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
531 Posts
Here's a diagram I made when I was considering using the 1st generation Mazda GSL-SE rear end. It will fit the GT without narrowing if you run a high offset wheel. The trick is, the common high offset (FWD) wheels are 5 bolt, or 4X100mm, but the Mazda is 4X114.3mm, so either the rims must be redrilled or custom orders, or the mazda hubs have to be modded.
If you are going to narrow the rear end, then of course the wheel issue is avoided.

The second gen. and newer Mazda rear ends are simply too wide without narrowing, plus they are an IRS unit, so mounting is different altogether

Attachments

·
Opeler
99 Posts
Thanks,
In your diagram, it says 'narrow diff by 1.25" for 35 mm offset wheel', is are those the high offset wheels you were talking about, or was it more along the lines of a 44mm offset?
-Rob

·
531 Posts
Hi, Rob

If you were to run a 35mm offset wheel, then the rear end would have to be narrowed by 1.25" if you didn't want fender flares.
The high offset wheels are pictured and labeled in the diagram, the ones I found were from Hondas and Acuras.

HTH,

James

·
531 Posts
Hi Rob,

rolling the fender lip can be as low-tech as [carefully!] jamming a wooden baseball bat between the tire and the inner fender lip, and rolling the bat along to persuade the fender lip to flare out just slightly to clear fatter tires. I bet other people on this site have done this on one car or another!

High offset wheels, like those from a front wheel drive, allow you to run a wider rear end, as the higher offset on the wheel rim compensates for the wider rear end, so you wind up with the same track as stock (more or less). If you want to run the same rim on the front, you will need a spacer to make the front measurements behave in the same way as the back.

HTH,

jtb

·
Upgraded Wannabe Knowital
239 Posts
You can check with Advance Adapters about a transmission adapter. They commonly work with 4x4s and Jeeps in particular which I am quite familiar with. My dd right now is a '98 Wrangler (TJ) SE. Anyway, you should be able to call them and see if they will make you an adapter so that you can use whatever transmission you want with it. Just an idea. They might or might not, but they specialize in GM, Ford, Jeep, and Toyota transmissions motors and transfer cases. I think dropping in an AWD transfer case would be a pretty nifty idea, that coupled with a Chrysler 2.5L turbo would be good as they have a hard time getting power to the rear wheels with those because they torque so much or something.

·
Opeler
99 Posts
As far as the trans goes, everything is OK, the shifter is the only problem and that is a simple enough fix. My problem now is the turbo placement. The stock turbo manifold just pokes right off the side of the engine, so it makes for quite a wide engine, especially for the Opel engine bay. I have been drawing up a new turbo man. in autocad, see what you guys think. Oh, and sorry about the squished quality...the original was about 800x540, so i had to put it at 78% of its width. Anyhow, the basic plan is to completely move the turbo up to in front of the main pulleys. The radiator will be up in the nosecone area, so heat from the turbo shouldnt really be a problem.
Thanks,
-Rob

Attachments

61 - 68 of 68 Posts