Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a rotisserie set up for an Opel GT that they no longer need and are willing to sell or loan? Hopefully in the eastern US. I have stands from a friend, but I will need to fabricate complete new arms to attach it to the car. That is a lot of work for a set up that will only be usable for an Opel GT. If I do that, I will be looking to pass it on to someone else when I am done with it. Thanks.

·
Opel Key Master
5,229 Posts
I have one with the stuff set up for the GT, I’m in TN. I sold one like it back last fall, and could care less if I sold this one or not, but could be talked into it. It’s the best one, it’s a Whirley-Jig, made in the USA. I have some posts of the setup from some of our restoration threads

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Keith, are you still using rotisseries?

·
Opel Key Master
5,229 Posts
Not really, after using these trailers from Harbor Freight, we’ve gotten away from the rotisserie, but as soon as I sell it, I’ll need it. Most customers do not want to pay the extra it cost to setup and in a shop full of cars, it makes an Opel the size of a 50s Cadillac

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,496 Posts
I have some pictures of a setup someone made out of wood, that puts a GT on its side. Reduces the space needed to get to the undercarriage. I’ve also seen a large tubular design that doesn’t increase the footprint but there are two large hoops to deal with.

·
Senior Contributor
1,642 Posts
I think that Keith has got the right idea with the Harbor Freight Trailer A Rolling Work Stand. I think he has come up with some Great Idea's to work on our Opels.

I made my own "" Inexpensive"" Sand Blasting Stand setup Home Made from fiberglass rolls and couple of old mattress, Tarps... Worked out Great for me,, than it went back onto a rolling stand designed by Rallybob
and still have the stand.
100_0810.JPG
100_0833.JPG
100_0804.JPG

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Made my rotisserie for about 500$. It was based on @kwilford design

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,496 Posts
Here are the photos I have of some rotisseries I've come across. I think my personal favorite is a pair of modified engine stands.

·
Opeler
3,095 Posts
Home Depot Style:

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
607 Posts
Wish I had of thought of doing it like that back in the 90's. To have everything like brand new inside and out - that would be a dream come true......very cool.........................................

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. The wooden one looks very interesting. At this point, I think I will build my own arms from 2" Sq tubing and use the stands I have. I plan to attach to the front suspension points and not just the flimsy rectangular tubes behind the bumpers.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,496 Posts
The rectangular tubes the bumper attaches to is part of the front frame rails. Same thing the suspension attaches to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts