Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is most likely nothing but I have no source of comparison. My rotors, when spun by hand are making a noise, both of them, the same level of noise. I have removed the calipers so the noise cannot be attributed to a pad dragging. The rotors are almost new and the bearings both inner and outer and related seals, etc are all 20 years old with 3000 miles on them and are kept in a garage along with the car........ Upon recent inspection everything looks good - plenty of grease in the bearings and everything is as it should be. However they are making a noise so please listen carefully and let me know your thoughts - I am thinking it is most likely nothing but better safe/informed than sorry. I feel sure t here are others that can share a similar experience. Thanks, Carl

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
This is most likely nothing but I have no source of comparison. My rotors, when spun by hand are making a noise, both of them, the same level of noise. I have removed the calipers so the noise cannot be attributed to a pad dragging. The rotors are almost new and the bearings both inner and outer and related seals, etc are all 20 years old with 3000 miles on them and are kept in a garage along with the car........ Upon recent inspection everything looks good - plenty of grease in the bearings and everything is as it should be. However they are making a noise so please listen carefully and let me know your thoughts - I am thinking it is most likely nothing but better safe/informed than sorry. I feel sure t here are others that can share a similar experience. Thanks, Carl
Need to change the settings on the video

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

lets try this again

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
20 year old seals, no matter how many miles, can get hard.
Other than that, conical bearings have variable surface speed. They're never really perfectly quiet.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,580 Posts
Nope, that doesn't sound good. Factoring in that you said you had them off and grease is OK, are you sure they are not grinding on the dust shields?

Dieter

Reactions: jmbinjax

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
Sounds fairly normal to me. (I always spin the rotors just lke that to check for any clunking or clicking noises that indicate a flat roller or worn spot on the races.) They are never 100% quiet. If you feel they are well packed with grease, then go with it. I just don't know if you washed them out and how you repacked them' packing those types of bearings is not just a mtter of smearing grease all over them. Note that these wheel bearings do NOT get preloaded; the adjustment procedure in the FSM insures that. From the FSM:

• Torque spindle nut to 18 ft lbs while rotating wheel.....(Note: I do this 2-3 times to insure the bearings are a well 'settled'.)
  • Back off steering knuckle nut 1/4 turn. If slot and cotter pin hole are staggered, back off nut [another] 1/12 turn, but do not tighten, until next slot is in alignment with hole in spindle.
NOTE: A properly adjusted wheel bearing has a small amount of end play and a loose nut when adjusted in the above manner. [Italics are in FSM.]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts