Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Thought this might be a good time to start a thread on this years Route 66 Mother Rd Fest. First the basics. Dates, Sept 30-Oct 2 2005. Place, Springfield IL. This will be our third year with Opels at this event. I feel the Baymont Inn has worked out well as our motel of choice and would recomend we use it again. It is at 5871 S. Sixth St. Springfield. Phone # 217-529-6655, Rate is 66.00 per nite plus tax but you need to make sure they know you are part of the Route 66 Fest. To view info about this event online go to www.route66fest.com. For this event I have been having everyone register as a member of the OMC ( Opel Motorsport Club ). The event starts on friday night with a cruise from the east side of town to the downtown show area. Those who wish to join in should expect to meet by around 4:30- 5:00 that afternoon at the Baymont parking lot. Last year we had time to grab a bite to eat at the Maverick steak house on our way over to the staging area. You do not have to finish the cruise if you don't want to. Last year quite a few did a short section and bailed out to the motel for drinks and talk. Saturday is the big day. We try to have everyone meet at the Baymont parking lot by 8:00 am and drive to the showfield as a group. Get there a little earlier if you want to do breakfast at the Cracker Barrel Resturant. If you can not get there that early do not let that stop you from coming. I am trying to talk to the people who put on the show and make sure the gate people get late arrivals with us or near us. There is plenty to do and see that day in the downtown area. This year the folks running the show have said they are trying to get one of the Hotels downtown to do a dinner buffet so the cars will stay around longer. If not I will look for a place for us for dinner. Last years selection was less than great. Late night last year was a gabfest on the Baymont parking lot. Sunday morning is a repeat of the day before for those who can stay. Last year we had 17 Opels from something like 8 states show up. The more the merrier. I know a lot of Opelers are going to be making Carlisle and the OMC picnic but keep this in mind. I am working on the design of the T-Shirt for this year and hope to have it posted by May. I am probably going to do the decals again in a different color. I will post more info as time goes along. Hope a lot of you can make it.
Take care
John Dickerson

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok Folks time to make a little more noise about the Mother road fest. I have been following the thread about the problems with the dinner location at Carlisle this year on the classicopels site. That got me to thinking about our options in Springfield for Friday and Saturday night. As I said in my earlier post, Friday at the Maverick Steakhouse should work for us. Vickie Gage has suggested that we use it both nights. We may do that but I am looking into something that would be easy to get to off the road back to the hotel. One place I would like to do if we do not stay downtown is D'arcy's Pint Pub. This is a popular spot in Springfield but will be hard to get into at dinnertime. Good beer selection, good food, good prices = packed house. The new location does have a room for larger groups we may be able to reserve. So I am trying to get an Idea of how many folks may be thinking of showing up. If you could let me know and or post here. Now the second thing I need to try and get an Idea on numbers is the event T-shirts. I am going to try and send a couple of rough drafts of the new design with this post. One of them is my basic Idea I gave to the shirt shop, I did the cut and paste on a copier. The second one is what thier Graphic artist sent back to me with what he though was the changes I wanted. We'll play spot the mistakes. If anyone out there is a graphic artist and would like to try and do that part of this process for me next year let me know. The shirt company really doesn't want to do this. They just want you to hand them a design and say how many. Let me know what you think. I am looking at doing a long sleeve shirt, maybe a mock tee. If we do it in dark colors the print would be white, if lighter color black print.
Thanks
John

Scratch that last paragraph about posting the shirt designs here. When I tried I was told they are to big. I will try and send them to the photo gallery, if to large then perhaps some one can cut them down. I tried to get one to that 75x75 pixel thing for my avatar an damn near put a foot thru my moniter. If not for my Opel involvement I would probably not be online.

Sorry folks couldn't get them in the photo gallery either. I' ll see about some help in the morning, I'm going to hit the rack now.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Gary said:
My plans for OMC may be changing. Right now it looks like I will be flying out and saving the vacation time. If that happens, I'll be in Springfield with the Sportwagon for this show.
If I am forced to fly, defiantely count me in... even if I dont I will probably make it. Because chances are higher that I won't make OMC. So I guess I am saying going to the Rt.66 event would be probably be a higher probability than me making OMC.

Charles

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got to thank Gary for for sizing the image of this years shirt design to fit the photo gallery and to avatar size. To view the whole design concept go to photo gallery. My avatar is still only a working concept of the back of the shirt. As I said in my earlier post now we can play ( find the mistakes ). Would love to hear from the group about color combos and overall approval rating. I have also included an image of the design I gave the shirt shop to show them what I basicly wanted to do. The changes I wanted seem to be a bit hard because of the lack of images they can capture with out having to digitize them.
Thanks
John

Attachments

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought I would add a few things. For those of you not familiar with the Int. Route 66 Mother Road Festival, along with being a car show it is also a Downtown street festival. A lot of different vendors, live music on a few stages, and some other things to do and see. If you have not been to it you might want to check out some of the posts and photos from last year. Something new this year that may be of interest to some is the recently opened Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. I have not been there yet but the wife has and says it is worth checking out. It is in the downtown area where the cars are on display
John

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am really surprised that by now no one has pointed out the most obvious flaw in the design for this years Shirt. The reason I am still waiting on a final design is that the Manta they used is a model that was not sold in the states. Everybody must be asleep.
Also GT is shown with headlights up, not what I wanted but may stick with it.
John

·
7,517 Posts
Well send me the original and I can put the headlights down. As for the Manta..? Looks like a 71 to me.

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Charles
Thanks for the offer. If these guys can't get it taken care of I'll see if they can send you the file to play with. To me the Manta dosen't even look like an A model. With the 2 headlights per side and the look of the grill I figure it to be a later model. It is hard to tell from the thumbnail you would have to go to the photo gallery and blow it up. The headlights up on the GT is a bit different, not sure I totally dislike the look. Really more curious about where they got the image.
John

·
7,517 Posts
I understand... You should see the Marklin Manta A model its terrible..

·
530 Posts
opeljohn said:
To me the Manta dosen't even look like an A model. With the 2 headlights per side and the look of the grill I figure it to be a later model. It is hard to tell from the thumbnail you would have to go to the photo gallery and blow it up.
John
You're right, John. The design for 2005 in the photo gallery shows the Manta "B" model which you pointed out is the later model not sold here in the USA. The sketch idea you gave the shop and the one in this thread does have the Manta A model, however, so maybe there is some confusion in that. Anyway, I love the shirt design (if changed to the Manta A). I can go either way on the GT headlights. I also like that the left chest will have the Manta this year as the Kadett was there last year. I really like the sleeve design. Colors? I'm thinking black with yellow printing would be cool, or the traditional white or bright yellow with black printing. The Route 66 Fest was GREAT last year, and I'll certainly be back. THANKS for the leg work in getting us organized for it!
-Jeff W

·
7,517 Posts
My mistake.. I didnt look at the gallery, I looked at the thumbnail.

Yoru right it is a Manta B... Rob (Rionart) would probably want a copy though.. since he owns one of the 3 Manta Bs I know of in this country.

Charles

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried to incorporate the changes some folks suggested last year into this years shirt. The Manta folks wanted to see more detail in the Manta for one, and to have it appear on the front. Since they were the second largest group I felt that was fair. My wife felt the GT should have center position this year, Since she lets me spend time and money on this it once again seemed fair. I also felt a little more prominent use of the 66 shield would be a nice addition. Now as to color combos, we will have fewer choices with long sleeve. I had not considered Black with Yellow print. I need to ask shirt company if all print on run needs to be the same. Yellow print might not work with other colors. Thanks for the input Jeff, see you in the fall if not before.
John

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a couple of real quick things. Those of you who were here last year have probably gotten your Registration and info flyer in the mail from the Mother Road Fest. Once again we will use the OMC as our Club. If you were not here last year the registration info is at the website www.route66fest.com. A couple of things I noticed was they are saying the gates will open Saturday at 9:00 am. So we may start out a little later from the hotel that morning. This will give folks more time to show up if they are comming in that morning. Also Sunday looks to be a later start time and shorter day.
John

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Final 2005 T-Shirt Design

I am going to try and post what should be the final design for this years t-shirt. What I need now is to get a response on color choices and weather a long sleeve or short sleeve would be preferred. Also an idea of how many people are going to want one will help with the vendor giving me a price. We will get a little price break at 50 shirts and somewhat more at 75 shirts. last year we did about 50 short sleeve and price was 13.00. Long sleeve will be higher, a pocket will add cost if we do that. Long sleeve color choices are somewhat limited. I had concidered Navy with white print. Jeff W. has suggested Black with Yellow print. The vendor is willing to work with us on this. A few color choices like last year are not a problem, he has also said both long and short sleeve can be done on the same run I think. If the same color print is used on all no problem, if we change print colors there is a screen wash charge. I plan to have a decision made on these questions in the next couple of weeks so I can give you all a firm price and start taking orders. I will probably start a thread for just the shirts at that time. I kinda hope to have this part of things done this year before the event so I can spend more time enjoying the event and less time messing with shirts. If anyone wants a better look at the design email me and I will send it to you as a jpeg file.

Attachments

·
530 Posts
Hi John,
GREAT job on the design. Looks like a winner! My vote is for long sleeve as that would be different from my other Opel shirts, and being that time of year in Springfield, it would probably make sense weather wise. Either the pocket or no pocket shirts are fine with me - though I guess a pocket does come in handy sometimes. THANKS again for doing this for us!
-Jeff W
'75 Manta
'73 Manta

·
Opel Addicts
2,475 Posts
John,

Looks great! We would like long-sleeved since all the other Opels shirts are short sleeved. No pocket necessary for us. Charles did Navy for Carlisle this year so maybe another color choice? We will be gettting a least two shirts (may a third) for your numbers count.

Vickie & Allen

·
Opeler
192 Posts
Great design! I would also prefer the long sleeve. Regarding the colors, either combination would be sharp. The shirts from last year are holding up fine, and since I wear them a lot, that shows how well the printing and the shirt was made. The blitz from the decal got lost in the snow and ice last winter, but people still inquire about the festival from its posting on the car.
Thanks for all the hard work you do for us John, and hopefully the event will have more of us there this year! :)
Gerry

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks. I was not aware the Carlisle shirts were Navy this year, should not be a problem though. Did Charles go with white print? The vendor will not limit us to one color shirt anyway. In long sleeve we are probably looking at Navy, Black, and Dark Green if we use white print. If we go with black print then we would look at lighter colors. For some reason there are not as many color choices in long sleeve as short. I liked last years yellow but they do not seem to have that in long sleeve, go figure. I will be looking at a silver decal for those who show up this year, possibly smaller than last years. When I am out at the OMC event I will see if some of the suppliers will send us some door prizes again.

·
Opeler
192 Posts
John,
on the registration form, what club/organization should I list?
Thanks,
Gerry

1 - 20 of 120 Posts