Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the new people popping up selling Opels or wanting them, I'm thinking we should put together an illustrated (that means photos..27 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one....$0.50 for the first person to identify that...) tutorial as to what to check for rust on the various Opel models so there is no excuse for sellers or buyers to be confused on what is good or bad.
Sellers tend to be vague and buyers are optimistic. It really does suck when the first assumption on a new sale posting is that they are all rotten, when no one, frequently even the seller (reseller) hasn't bothered to inspect or photograph any actual rust. The assumptions go straight to 'Its not worth anything'. While probably true more often than not with so-called 'barn finds' (remember when that term meant it was found inside the barn, not 100 feet away?), dismissing the cars on assumption is discouraging to the sellers (who may actually have an ugly, but Olay car) and buyers who may decide not to bother looking at it because of all the psychics (having a little fun there!) on the Opel sites.

I know there are some pretty good 'mid-repair' pics on this forum. I'm going to see what I can find and add some of my own.

My hope would be that sellers and buyers would then know to take pics of these areas if they want actual advice or interest, not conjecture.

We all know cars generally look better in photos, but we are well past the days when Polaroid and fotomat ruled the world. With everyone having smart phones (and those that don't still have cameras in their phones), there really is no excuse for not having a decent set of pics. Except if your knees don't work anymore...get the damn neighbor kid, he's got to be useful for something.

·
Can Opeler
3,570 Posts
It’s a good idea, but keep in mind the majority of Opel owners have never heard of this forum. The majority of Opel owners I’ve met outside of club events haven’t even heard of Opel GT Source.

Most sellers aren’t going to bother to change their asking price or even take more photos based on this info.

However it could be useful to members of this forum for a nice updated version of this in a pdf form so the images don’t disappear over the years.

Reactions: RonnGM

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean. Some sellers have no interest in full disclosure. It's goes against their profit motive. Or maybe the very core of their being....I'm not worried about them. It's the ones that are sincere, but maybe don't know. Like people that are given or inherit a car.
And I'm basing it mostly on just the new buyer/seller traffic on the forum. If it gets linked/copied/whatever, I'm good with that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’m one of the new guys - I never owned an Opel!
This would be valuable to me as I’m interested in a 1900 Coupe or Sedan (Aka Manta or Ascona).
While I’m familiar with the pleasing agony of a vintage car the specifics of keeping and reviving an Opel would be great.
I’d like to know where they rust and what specific parts are hard to get.
And resources for parts and technical help too.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
However it could be useful to members of this forum for a nice updated version of this in a pdf form so the images don’t disappear over the years.

I don't want to plagiarize Charles, but it is a good template to start with. Making a PDF would be easy.

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Registered
76 Posts
With all the new people popping up selling Opels or wanting them, I'm thinking we should put together an illustrated (that means photos..27 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one....$0.50 for the first person to identify that...) tutorial as to what to check for rust on the various Opel models so there is no excuse for sellers or buyers to be confused on what is good or bad.
Sellers tend to be vague and buyers are optimistic. It really does suck when the first assumption on a new sale posting is that they are all rotten, when no one, frequently even the seller (reseller) hasn't bothered to inspect or photograph any actual rust. The assumptions go straight to 'Its not worth anything'. While probably true more often than not with so-called 'barn finds' (remember when that term meant it was found inside the barn, not 100 feet away?), dismissing the cars on assumption is discouraging to the sellers (who may actually have an ugly, but Olay car) and buyers who may decide not to bother looking at it because of all the psychics (having a little fun there!) on the Opel sites.

I know there are some pretty good 'mid-repair' pics on this forum. I'm going to see what I can find and add some of my own.

My hope would be that sellers and buyers would then know to take pics of these areas if they want actual advice or interest, not conjecture.

We all know cars generally look better in photos, but we are well past the days when Polaroid and fotomat ruled the world. With everyone having smart phones (and those that don't still have cameras in their phones), there really is no excuse for not having a decent set of pics. Except if your knees don't work anymore...get the damn neighbor kid, he's got to be useful for something.
It's real simple folks.....For those of us that listened to their mom's. ALWAYS EAT YOUR MEAT AND TATER"S FIRST THEN WORRY ABOUT YOUR DESSERT !! Kind of falls into place on a GT, a pretty paint job, won't be so good if the meat and tater's are spoiled. I always find it amusing when I see "FULLY RESTORED" GT, with cobbled up wiring, God only knows where that exhaust came from, 3" of undercoating sprayed on every inch of everything under the car. Belly pan gone or smashed in, remember where those seams USED to be inside the fender wells..and MY personal favorite "RAN WHEN PARKED" !!! Ummmm someone forgot what "fully restored" means...........

·
Registered
29 Posts
It’s a good idea, but keep in mind the majority of Opel owners have never heard of this forum. The majority of Opel owners I’ve met outside of club events haven’t even heard of Opel GT Source.

Most sellers aren’t going to bother to change their asking price or even take more photos based on this info.

That's a good guide for Opel GT buyers.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I forget where, but when I bought my Opels I had read an old website that talked about the problematic areas on GTs.

I think a video tutorial is probably the best format, but an accompanying PDF might also be useful.

It's almost something someone should do right from scratch. Or, on a junker parts car that they're not restoring.

I have a couple videos of the seemingly-okay body on my GT (which was still pretty good). It was mostly rotten at the rear fenders and a tiny bit in the wheel wells, in an unobvious way.

This plus someone who has the front wheel well rot (rear-side, below the cowl) would do some good I think.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Through some of my searches in the past I found these pics.
They would be great to add to the if you see this on the car, RUN as fast as you can section.
Water Automotive tire Liquid Window Tire Brown Wood Automotive exterior Twig Tints and shades Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Fender Tire Automotive exterior

·
UngerDog
1,323 Posts
I forget where, but when I bought my Opels I had read an old website that talked about the problematic areas on GTs.
You might be referring to the 2016 Opel Motorsport Club's "Opel GT - Top 10 Things to Know." It's copyrighted, but it can be found online.

The major areas of rust would include the rockers below the doors, the areas behind the front and rear wheel wells , the floor boards, jack points, belly pan, and battery tray. Take a small magnet or even a magnetic refrigerator thingy to test for excessive body filler.

Cars from California, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas (except near the coast) generally have less rust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts