Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
1,515 Posts
Wow Bob sorry to say ...That GT is Rotten... I think it's time to Look for a GT with less rust or minimum rust
unless your a good welder and fabricator and have thousands,, I know your trying to save that GT...
I'd find one with at least a floor. Just My Honest Opinion

·
Pedal Smasher
2,119 Posts
Rust is horrible and it's always worse than what you can see. Unless you really feel like trying to repair that GT and sink a lot of time and money into it, it's now a donor car. It can be fixed and part of me would rather see every GT saved. Realistically, finding a GT without any rust will cost less in the long run.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,618 Posts
This is as rough as I have fixed on anything. But it can be done in a home shop. Just lots of time. Nice to save this.
Bob, do you have a welder? (Sorry, I can't recall...)

·
1,575 Posts
You have to have something to weld to and stop more rust before you get to the next repair.
That GT has a lot of inner panels that are rusted away under the outer rusted panels.
Nothing to prove here just a matter of money, time and enjoyment of driving your car.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,288 Posts
Yup, that car is toast. Don't feel bad, many of us have had a car that bad as our "starter GT". It's a lesson in GT's learned. Now you know what to look for in a good, or good enough, GT body. GT's almost always look pretty good above the rocker panels. At the rockers and below is where things go to heck in a handbasket. One lesson to learn: Never buy a GT from east of the Mississippi, they all have "morning dew" rust at the bottom of the car. Get a body from west of the Missy. Western cars tend to have good bodies and all the rubber and plastic tuned to dust, Eastern cars tend to have good rubber and plastic and rust out the ying-yang. My GTX car came from out West, good body/no interior at all, just a shell. My previous Red Baron car was from the East, it had great rubber/plastic/vinyl and all the small parts that get lost, but the body had accident repair and rust damage. I took the parts off the Red Baron car to build my GTX car. That is a very typical scenario. It is absolutely worth it to spend up to $1000 just to ship a western parts car to the east. Rust repair on these cars is a PIA, expensive, and time consuming. Parts removal and reinstallation on a better body is way easier.

Step back, take a break, and search for a rust free body. Even a badly dented one with no rust is better than a dent free one with "a little rust". There are many cars being offered on the Facebook Opel groups, I suggest that you begin your search there.

·
Senior Contributor
1,515 Posts
I totally agree with Gordo.... Step back... look what you have... also look at what has been done....

The problem with all that rotten Metal, is it's very discouraging to a Car Hobby Guy like you..
.. Your Overwhelmed with what you see... work, work, work, too much . It not going to help you complete the project.any faster..FWIW

If you really want a GT and willing to spend More money at this time,, You should think, or even go take a ride in a GT, Before you decide to dump more Hundred , thousands of dollars to make this one Run.

Finding one on the east is Hard,, but there are some that were Barn Kept,, or Garaged here on the east coast,, both of mine
GT's came from New Jersey

My Advise to You,, Is to find a Runner, GT Yup,,, At your Age It's time to tinker around, Have some fun and do some repairs,, that makes a Happy Opeler,, In my eyes Looking for a nice GT here in the East that been sitting around... If it Runs, drives and stops, decent body, some rust 3K or more depending
If has decent body not running, sat on cement Pad, or driveway
..."" Has a Floor"" Maybe 2K If it's Rotten, has rust rockers, floors , inside ,,, less than 1K or even Free

But,,, Hey these are my Guide lines,,, Just my advise..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for responding. While the rust is depressing I can deal with it. A friend will help me with welding and for smaller patches I'm using rivets and seam sealer. If I had noticed all of it before I bought the car I wouldn't have bought it. I bought it as a project and a project it is. The front of the car is pretty much all set for rust and paint so I'll keep picking away on the rear and before I know it it will be done. I hear your advice to find a cleaner car and it is wise advice. Still, I'm not willing to start over. When it's done it will be done well. In the meantime, thanks for letting me vent!

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,618 Posts
Let me add my encouragement, Bob. At least the floor looks like it is a place to anchor new bits. BTW that steel does not like a ton of heat on it. My understanding is that it is a higher carbon steel and stronger than some other cars of that vintage (like Toyotas I can tell you for sure!). So keep the welds short.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My intent was to get you to step back and look at options but I suspected you were just venting. I didn't mean to start that avalanche. Looking at your other ride, I'm sure you will have a special ride when you are done.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,288 Posts
Attaboy! That's the spirit!

You can actually do a pretty effective repair job to floorboards and such with fiberglass hair and resin. My Red Baron car had a bunch of it on the floor boards that had been there for 25 years before I bought it and it looked as good as they day it was put on and no more rust had compromised the area. I added a bit more about 12 years ago and it's still as good as when I put it on. The nice thing about fiberglass is that it will never rust. Metal patch pieces WILL rust.

·
RunOpel
1,233 Posts
Bob one thing about this forum, I don't think you will find a member that doesn't genuinely care and would be willing to jump and help your cause. Its just amazing how many caring people are connected to this forum. We like to share our opinions and offer advice that isn't necessarily how you would approach the issue. That's whats so cool about being connected to the best forum around. We can get great advice with knowledge and then do with it as we please :)
I'm enjoying watching your progress and look forward to an Opel just as nice as your other restored vehicle.
Time and money with lots of fun.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts