Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
RunOpel
1,234 Posts
I totally agree with you Mike, once you own and or drive an Opel GT, your hooked :)
Sorry to see you go Bob, hope its just a short time and you find the right Opel GT. I looked for several years, but I was very picky about what I wanted. Sooner or later you will score the right one. I sure hope you do
get another Opel GT, it was fun corresponding with you. I don't think there is a member on here that hasn't been frustrated with their Opel and maybe a time or two said a few choice words and possibly a thought or two about selling it ? But Opelitus gets the best of us and we get back into the game of Opel love ❤
Good luck to you :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Soo ... I Think Bob, you'll be back for some more LOL ?
Hello, I'm back. I wouldn't have gotten this far without everyone here sharing their knowledge so thanks. I didn't sleep very well last night. I kept thinking of all the work I've done on the car so far and how it would be a shame not to finish. When I looked at the other cars I realized that if I bought another car I'd have to do pretty much everything I've done to mine all over again just to avoid repairing the rust at the rear of mine. I made a mistake of looking at everything it would take to finish the car instead of looking at the task at hand and became overwhelmed. I can make it all right with the help of friends and some patience. Also, working in a cold garage lying on 30 degree concrete may have sapped my enthusiasm a bit. I'm waiting for Ralley Bob to finish his radiant heat and invite me to lie on his floor for a few days. So, here I go again. Expect more questions in the future. And Mike, I still need trailing arms after all, preferably chrome plated with diamond bushings.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
o_O(y) OH those sleepless nights ! what did I get my self into ? what am I going to do now? darn it all to heck. Why did I let this darn car turn my stomach inside out, ring it out and swallow it again. Better yet why can I not stop thinking about this darn car even after all the emotional roller coaster it has put me through? If it were a woman or anything else I was tinkering on I'd be down the road. AHH the start of a new day, new ideas,new set of eyes and undoubtedly a new enthusiasm that got me this far to begin with. I can throw my hands in the air and give up a hundred times but never actually give up completely and quit because as luck would have it 1 were not quitters
2 it's in fact a contagious mental default in our brains that draws us back in, some refer to it as oplitis and other sort of corky names to help us except that for today my dear opel you have won but beware tomorrow I will have rested and gathered my bearings once again and the frustrated sickened humble owner you broke yesterday will rise again and overcome your distasteful humor and hidden secrets of dis-pare. For today I'm fresh, clear minded, and except all your little distasteful pleasures and will gladly chew then up and spit the out on the floor. So my dear gt I say get ready cause it's your turn to get broken. But don't worry I'll put you back together better than you ever were before. And when we get off this roller coaster and ride the great winding roads together we will both laugh at this day and the others to come.

OK I'm done not sure where all that just came from must be the virus:LOL:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Bob - Your up and down enthusiasm for doing work on the car mirrors my experience. Some days I'm happy I'm making progress, other days I feel stupid for trying.

A trick I learned from a boss years ago about motivation was, try to get one thing done every day, rather than just "work". "Work" feels like a deathmarch. But if you can say or focus on how you made (or will make) definitive progress, it gives you a bit of an anchor of accomplishment. Even little things like "Today I'm going to cut out all the rust on this patch, there will be none left when I'm done". If you do that, even if it only takes 20% of your time in the shop, and then in the other 80% of your time you did some sanding around it but couldn't get to one area, and started making a template but then changed your mind about what it should be, and started sourcing material but then figured you wanted the metal to be thicker, and got the welder over there but found out the gas was almost empty... even though you had 4 mild failures or immeasurable progress, you did get that one step completed and so you can go to bed at night feeling like there was a step forward rather than just a bottomless pit of things to do. All the partial progress is also progress, but it doesn't feel like much because you have to revisit all of those items still and that's what feels like it'll never end. Sometimes it's even good to trade off doing the smart or efficient thing, to fully complete one task just so it feels like more progress.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,633 Posts
I'm waiting for Ralley Bob to finish his radiant heat and invite me to lie on his floor for a few days. So, here I go again. Expect more questions in the future. And Mike, I still need trailing arms after all, preferably chrome plated with diamond bushings.
I'll be right there with you on that heated floor LOL!

Dang, I just sent some of those diamond bushed trailing arms to the landfill....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Bob - Your up and down enthusiasm for doing work on the car mirrors my experience. Some days I'm happy I'm making progress, other days I feel stupid for trying.

A trick I learned from a boss years ago about motivation was, try to get one thing done every day, rather than just "work". "Work" feels like a deathmarch. But if you can say or focus on how you made (or will make) definitive progress, it gives you a bit of an anchor of accomplishment. Even little things like "Today I'm going to cut out all the rust on this patch, there will be none left when I'm done". If you do that, even if it only takes 20% of your time in the shop, and then in the other 80% of your time you did some sanding around it but couldn't get to one area, and started making a template but then changed your mind about what it should be, and started sourcing material but then figured you wanted the metal to be thicker, and got the welder over there but found out the gas was almost empty... even though you had 4 mild failures or immeasurable progress, you did get that one step completed and so you can go to bed at night feeling like there was a step forward rather than just a bottomless pit of things to do. All the partial progress is also progress, but it doesn't feel like much because you have to revisit all of those items still and that's what feels like it'll never end. Sometimes it's even good to trade off doing the smart or efficient thing, to fully complete one task just so it feels like more progress.
I agree with you and that's been my approach most of the time. It's satisfying to look at what I've accomplished so far. Fortunately I have friends who have skills I lack and are willing to help out when necessary. We will get it done. People tell me the car is fun to drive. I'm looking forward to that day.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
o_O(y) OH those sleepless nights ! what did I get my self into ? what am I going to do now? darn it all to heck. Why did I let this darn car turn my stomach inside out, ring it out and swallow it again. Better yet why can I not stop thinking about this darn car even after all the emotional roller coaster it has put me through? If it were a woman or anything else I was tinkering on I'd be down the road. AHH the start of a new day, new ideas,new set of eyes and undoubtedly a new enthusiasm that got me this far to begin with. I can throw my hands in the air and give up a hundred times but never actually give up completely and quit because as luck would have it 1 were not quitters
2 it's in fact a contagious mental default in our brains that draws us back in, some refer to it as oplitis and other sort of corky names to help us except that for today my dear opel you have won but beware tomorrow I will have rested and gathered my bearings once again and the frustrated sickened humble owner you broke yesterday will rise again and overcome your distasteful humor and hidden secrets of dis-pare. For today I'm fresh, clear minded, and except all your little distasteful pleasures and will gladly chew then up and spit the out on the floor. So my dear gt I say get ready cause it's your turn to get broken. But don't worry I'll put you back together better than you ever were before. And when we get off this roller coaster and ride the great winding roads together we will both laugh at this day and the others to come.

OK I'm done not sure where all that just came from must be the virus:LOL:
I couldn't have put it any better Terry. She's an ugly bitch at the moment but there's a glimmer of sexy in there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
They are amazingly fun to drive! Though I'll admit, my current GT is FARE superior experience when compared to it's stock form...

Reactions: dpre

·
Super Moderator
13,461 Posts
I'm waiting for Ralley Bob to finish his radiant heat and invite me to lie on his floor for a few days.
The radiant flooring is working beautifully....

I only keep the temp in the shop at 60 degrees but with the floor being the heat source it feels much warmer than that number would lead you to believe. It’s arguably more comfortable than the house which is set at 69 degrees.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The radiant flooring is working beautifully....

I only keep the temp in the shop at 60 degrees but with the floor being the heat source it feels much warmer than that number would lead you to believe. It’s arguably more comfortable than the house which is set at 69 degrees.
I've installed radiant heat. You can't beat it in a concrete floor. That's quite the shop you're building!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
They are amazingly fun to drive! Though I'll admit, my current GT is FARE superior experience when compared to it's stock form...
Everyone keeps tantalizing me with gleeful testimonies about the joy of driving a gt. Time to scrape more rust. Can you post some pics of your car?

·
RunOpel
1,234 Posts
Oh the Opelitus disease :) Bob, you have it, but you are not alone. We all have it and love it and hate it sometimes :)
Just keep plugging away and eventually it will pay dividends. We put to much time and effort into restoring our Opel's to just getting rid of them. Like many have said, just walk away and take a break, then come back with a fresh start. Glad to hear your going to stay and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Everyone keeps tantalizing me with gleeful testimonies about the joy of driving a gt. Time to scrape more rust. Can you post some pics of your car?
Few videos of my build, and pix from last fall

Attachments

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
Just started reading the thread and noticed on first page you said a friend would help with welding and other bits you would rivet. For the love of mike dont rivet unless its just to hold in position for welding. these are Unibody cars and need to be 1 structure to work not a patch work quilt of pop riveted panels .

·
Registered
528 Posts
As I was working about last night, saw a little rust by the seat rail. Scraped at it with my screwdriver.. oops. Poked right through the floorpan.

Okay, well, no problem, just a little dab of welding.
Hrm. It's spitting and spattering everywhere. I guess I should wirewheel this whole area that has a bit of surface rust.
Hrm. I'm wirewheeling, but the metal is still staying brown.
I'll keep welding some of this edge.
Hrm. It's still spitting quite a bit.
Lights off.

Uh oh.

Pinholes everywhere. I'm guessing this is like what Keith told me about how when he took his car to be sandblasted, he discovered how many holes there really were.

Not so bad, I'll have to replace the floorpan under the passenger seat. That means another 8 feet of welding to patch the top and bottom, not looking forward to that, but not the end of the world.

But, if that aligator-skin texture means it's rusted through, where else on the car can I find that texture?

Great.

Looks like I've got more cutting and patching to do.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
As I was working about last night, saw a little rust by the seat rail. Scraped at it with my screwdriver.. oops. Poked right through the floorpan.

Hrm. It's spitting and spattering everywhere. I guess I should wirewheel this whole area that has a bit of surface rust.
Lights off.

Uh oh.

Pinholes everywhere. I'm guessing this is like what Keith told me about how when he took his car to be sandblasted, he discovered how many holes there really were.

Not so bad, I'll have to replace the floorpan under the passenger seat. That means another 8 feet of welding to patch the top and bottom, not looking forward to that, but not the end of the world.

But, if that aligator-skin texture means it's rusted through, where else on the car can I find that texture?

Great.

Yup that's how things went with my restoration to. Over and over.....lol
Eventually you will run out of rust to repair....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Oh the Opelitus disease :) Bob, you have it, but you are not alone. We all have it and love it and hate it sometimes :)
Just keep plugging away and eventually it will pay dividends. We put to much time and effort into restoring our Opel's to just getting rid of them. Like many have said, just walk away and take a break, then come back with a fresh start. Glad to hear your going to stay and enjoy the ride.
Thanks! One day at a time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Just started reading the thread and noticed on first page you said a friend would help with welding and other bits you would rivet. For the love of mike dont rivet unless its just to hold in position for welding. these are Unibody cars and need to be 1 structure to work not a patch work quilt of pop riveted panels .
There are areas which aren't structural which rivets and seal sealer will do fine. I've seen tests comparing spot welds and rivets to the strength of seal sealer and seam sealer won. That said, I agree with you and the majority of repairs will be welded. Just a thought, most aircraft are riveted.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Lights off.

Uh oh.

Great.

Good luck with the trailing arm bracket. Post pics of how you repair it as mine are a bit worse.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts