Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,965 Posts
Yup, never look at a large job of any sort in it's totality, except to decide on where to start. Then, "keep it simple stupid", and assign yourself one really small project at a time, something you can complete in one day. And make sure to keep your project on the front burner, don't let your projects languish for weeks/months/years, you'll likely never finish. Personally, I like to tackle the hardest jobs first and finish with the easy jobs. That way, the project get's easier and easier as you go along. You're at that hard job stage now. Conquer this one and you've earned yourself a victory beer. Conquer the next hardest job and you've earned another beer. By the time you're done and your car is ready to drive you'll have drank cases and cases of beer, you'll be an alcoholic, and you'll be able to get a DUI ticket on your very first drive. Good times!

·
RunOpel
949 Posts
Very nice Vincent, a long fought out battle, but in the end, a beautiful GT :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
My GT came to me with what appeared to be a fairly solid body, although there were a couple of patches riveted in at the rear of the floor pan, in front of the rear wheels. Other than that, the body appeared solid. In fact, it was solid, but underneath the panels, well...

I can weld small things, but this was way out of my league, so it was farmed out to a shop in Gorham, Maine -- Wyman Auto. Wyman runs a body shop but they also have a superb restoration facility and the wait list is about a year. It took the better part of nine months before I had the car back. I won't discuss the cost.
DSCN6491.JPG
DSCN6491.JPG
DSCN6642.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Found this dejected looking GT in a junkyard today. The last inspection was 1984. I bought rear bumperetes, window chrome trim, compliance tag, hood support clip and the instrument cluster for $15. I thought of getting the door windows for Terry but they were scratched. The engine was different. The distributor was on the driver's side but it was back by the 3rd cylinder. The starter was on the passenger side. The head was missing so I couldn't tell anything about the intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
My GT came to me with what appeared to be a fairly solid body, although there were a couple of patches riveted in at the rear of the floor pan, in front of the rear wheels. Other than that, the body appeared solid. In fact, it was solid, but underneath the panels, well...

I can weld small things, but this was way out of my league, so it was farmed out to a shop in Gorham, Maine -- Wyman Auto. Wyman runs a body shop but they also have a superb restoration facility and the wait list is about a year. It took the better part of nine months before I had the car back. I won't discuss the cost. View attachment 424938 View attachment 424938 View attachment 424940
Looks like we have rust in common. I haven't taken a grinder to my body yet. I'm afraid of what's under the paint.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Yup, never look at a large job of any sort in it's totality, except to decide on where to start. Then, "keep it simple stupid", and assign yourself one really small project at a time, something you can complete in one day. And make sure to keep your project on the front burner, don't let your projects languish for weeks/months/years, you'll likely never finish. Personally, I like to tackle the hardest jobs first and finish with the easy jobs. That way, the project get's easier and easier as you go along. You're at that hard job stage now. Conquer this one and you've earned yourself a victory beer. Conquer the next hardest job and you've earned another beer. By the time you're done and your car is ready to drive you'll have drank cases and cases of beer, you'll be an alcoholic, and you'll be able to get a DUI ticket on your very first drive. Good times!
Good advice. I'd love to work on the engine but I'll be under the car for a while for the reason you mention. It is the worst part of the job and I want to get it done and move on. The car is on the front burner slow cooking. Getting an OUI on the first drive? That would be Opel icing on the cake.

·
boomerang opeler
5,621 Posts
There are areas which aren't structural which rivets and seal sealer will do fine. I've seen tests comparing spot welds and rivets to the strength of seal sealer and seam sealer won. That said, I agree with you and the majority of repairs will be welded. Just a thought, most aircraft are riveted.
Aircraft are riveted because you cant weld Dural Aluminium without it losing all its strength and needing heat treatment( imagin the oven to bake a 747)

·
Registered
612 Posts
The engine was different. The distributor was on the driver's side but it was back by the 3rd cylinder. The starter was on the passenger side. The head was missing so I couldn't tell anything about the intake and exhaust.

Bob, You found a 1100 GT. ... 20 years ago GTs were not really rare in CA salvage yards, but I never found a 1.1. .
I think only about 350 of them were sold in North America 1969-70, so this is a rare find !

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
but I never found a 1.1. .
I think only about 350 of them were sold in North America 1969-70, so this is a rare find !
This is long after the fact, but about 35 yrs. ago I had one in a '69 that I yanked out and put a 1.9 in its place., no idea that there were so few. Picture has one of my sons who is 45 now, poking around the 1.1 before removal. I still have the shifter for the trans. lol

Attachments

61 - 69 of 69 Posts