Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or shall i say clutch noobitis.

Okay, picked up what I assume is an Opel NOS flywheel that was drilled for S-10 pressure plate.

Picked up a clutch kit from local parts store. part number mu1904-1

here is my dilemma

I see in other threads fellas mention flywheel needs to be ground flat or flat faced. my s-10 pressure plate doesnt even touch the flywheel with clutch disc installed.

My new flywheel is not stepped at all like the one that came out of car, it is flat with the ground ring roughly bigger then stock clutch disk in face. This is what makes me think it is NOS, it is also dull with no signs of use. When I set the clutch disc and pressure plate on the flywheel the pressure plate is roughly 185 thousandths from the face a gap is there. Also, s-10 clutch disc is bigger then the ring ground in flywheel. SO grind it down to get rid of ring, but pressure plate does not butt up onto flywheel.

I already paid to have it balanced and the original machine shop didnt even say anything. Needless to say im going elsewhere.

I should have pics but I left it at machinist. so either I have wrong clutch, or there is something i am missing. does the pressure plate supposed to touch the flywheel when bolted in?

·
tomking
2,474 Posts
Uh, who's on first? If you have an opel flywheel that is drilled for a S10 clutch, then you buy and install the S10 clutch, not the opel clutch. The S10 flywheel will be flat whereas the opel flywheel, for opel clutch, will be stepped.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, i got that.

so I have never done a clutch before so perhaps this question can be reclassified as dumb question of the day.

So where the pressure plate mounts to the flywheel does not touch each other? there is a space here? I just tried with my old flywheel and opel clutch and i see there is the same gap.

So to close out this thread, just get it resurface below this ring and flywheel is done?

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jimmy, did you not use the flywheel I sent you that was already machined for the S-10?
it is the one I am talking about, but the circle that is like 1/8 inch deep is smaller then s-10 clutch disc.

I have never done a clutch so i was confused. looks like all i have to do is get it resurfaced below the ring, and considering this flywheel is not stepped and thicker than a Stepped flywheel ground flat, do you think i will need to worry about longer pivot bolt?

·
Opel Key Master
5,091 Posts
Is the clutch disc marked which side fits flush to the flywheel, most times it will say. The pressure plate then goes on. The small groove is all that is left when the flywheel is cut down, that one has been cut already flat.

The GT Source one I have, the inside circle has been cut out a bit, but I don't think this was necessary, it could also be cut down just to the end of the groove, but they left a little meat on it. Hope these pics help

Attachments

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
very helpful, I wish i took pics before i left it at shop. looks alot like my flywheel from you. looks like I have a case of clutchdumb.

when s-10 disc is set on, it is larger then the circle by 1/8-1/4 inch. so over time wouldnt a groove be worn into disc?

when the pressure plate is installed does it actually ever touch the flywheel or is their a gap all the way around?

i didnt see any markings, but there is a clear difference when switched. makes plate even farther from flywheel surface.

·
Opel Key Master
5,091 Posts
The pressure plate (outer most part of clutch) is spring loaded, and it will mount flush at the 6 bolt locations. There is a torque mistake in the manual that states 35 ftlbs, and should be 15 ftlbs. If I recall. You have to tighten the bolts until it is even, you will need a clutch alignment tool to do this, and I like to go around the pressure plate and slowly tighten these a bit at a time. Make sure you have a nice clean untouched surface when doing this, as it can cause clutch chatter and such if any oil is on the facing of the disc. May be some youtube instructions for other cars that will adapt to Opel in theory if you need video.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is it not flush until bolts are tightened and spring is compressed..... ahhhhh

It even says on my Pressure plate 17lbs max, and Ive read about the mistake in manuals.

thanks a ton Keith!

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so should I get the flywheel surfaced deep enough to get rid of this circle groove?

Im being more annoying than usual because I can install my motor once this is done. crossmember is sandblasted and por 15'ed, motor is complete. just have to prime oil and install distributor.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
so should I get the flywheel surfaced deep enough to get rid of this circle groove?
That's entirely up to you my good sir.
The S-10 pressure plate has fairly good clamping with the nine inch disc.
Yes you'll lose a small amount of friction area if you leave the recess.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how about pivot bolt? since flywheel is considerably thicker than a stepped one Ground down, do i need to even rig up a m12x1.5x80 lug bolt?

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
so for $30 should I get it ground down to remove ring. I understand the disc is still larger than stock and improved performance, but im still sacrificing 1/8-1/4 inch of increased disc size by leaving ring.

My hunch is just git er done and try to get by with stock pivot bolt. even getting it ground down below ring it is still much thicker than a stepped flywheel, being modified.

Actually, I just remembered, it should be balanced again, It is a Bumper to bumper parts store that does rotors, drums and has a resurfacing machine for flywheels. I wonder if they balance them....

Aaaaaaarrrrggghhhh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts