Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK OP. My T5 plans for my 'forever Manta rally car project' (LOL) are to use the Ford T5 WC products. This is simply to get the best variety of gearsets. I have not seen the same variety of gearsets for the GM WC T5 as you can for the latest generation of Ford WC T5's.

You can build a close-ratio T5 with a 2.2 or thereabouts 1st gear and a .83 5th gear if you realy want performance or other sets, like if you want a .73 5th for easier cruising. Just a word of warning from long rally expereince on the stock Opel trans.... the 1.5+ step change from 2nd to 3rd gear really stinks; it occurs right at a critical speed for rally stages and is just too much. So if you want performance, you want to get down at 1.45 or lower on the 2-3 step.

No worry on the clutch for the Ford WC setup; there are 10 spline clutches for the 2300 I4 engine that will work fine with the Opel situation.

1-1/8" thick plate is what you want for the Ford WC trans. I am not confident that 3/4" is what you want with the Chevy WC T5; it has to be a certain thickness to get the pilot bearing set in properly. I think you have better look things over closely before you go with a different thickenss and re-read the published info.
Hrmmm. I should say that when we talk about the vintage "rally" it's not really a rally. It's more of a 1000 mile spirited road trip, so the .73 5th gear might be find considering if I'm in 5th on a back road I'm probably going too fast and should really slow down.

Step 1 should clearly be, figuring out what I already have. I just went to my garage to shoot photos of the transmissions I have, but haven't had a chance to sit down and decipher what they are yet.

There are two sets below, both titles are link to the IMGUR posts if you want to view them in higher resolution

S10 T5 Trans:

UNKNOWN WC T5 Trans:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The S10 you have there has the Ford pattern bellhousing, so it’s WC, and built after 1993 at least
That's good to know. The casting mark on the trans says 92 but that could easily be for MY 93.
Turns out the Mustang V6 trans is also WC.

So either way I'm looking for an adapter plate that has the ford pattern on it.
Now to sort out the mystery gear ratios in the S10 box and the input shaft question...

·
Opel Key Master
5,000 Posts
According to this, there are only two ratios for S10s so after 85, they are all the 3.76. So now you know. But you can also check for yourself by going to Lugnutz webpage on T5s and put it in first gear and count revolutions. That way you can tell 100% one site showed my S10 trans am it’s a 3.98 first gear, checked others and found that was a misprint

·
Über Genius
8,918 Posts
FWIW, If you buy an adapter from HRW, it's a stolen design.

Just sayin'

·
Opel Key Master
5,000 Posts
FWIW, If you buy an adapter from HRW, it's a stolen design.

Just sayin'
FO1981, get over it already, do you think you were the first an only one to draw out an adapter for the T5 to Opel bellhousing? You act like you came up idea, but yet there are several post of these adapters being made pre-FO1981. Do you not think HRW could have someone send a bellhousing to them and they could have just simply modified one of their existing designs to work? It sounds like your design wasn’t correct anyways, because they had to fix it. Did you steal the Mantapart design?

I’m sorry but I have seen you on here too much crying the blues about this because you happened to draw one up in the past. It’s been discussed that you were hurt by this, and will never offer up any design or drawing work for free. So don’t muck up this thread with the same stuff, it’s just regurgitated crap from another thread that ended up going nowhere

·
Über Genius
8,918 Posts
FO1981, get over it already, do you think you were the first an only one to draw out an adapter for the T5 to Opel bellhousing? You act like you came up idea, but yet there are several post of these adapters being made pre-FO1981. Do you not think HRW could have someone send a bellhousing to them and they could have just simply modified one of their existing designs to work? It sounds like your design wasn’t correct anyways, because they had to fix it. Did you steal the Mantapart design?
I stole nothing. They've admitted to using my design. Their design changes were insignificant, by their own admission.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I stole nothing. They've admitted to using my design. Their design changes were insignificant, by their own admission.

Cool. This argument is clearly before my time, and frankly I don't want to drudge it up here and derail this thread.

So, do you want to share that design so I can have a local machine shop fab one up for me?
Are you offering the adapter as a product that's for sale? If yes, is it Manta specific, or does it need to be modified to align with an upright engine?
What I'm asking is, are you willing to contribute to this problem I'm trying to solve?

·
Über Genius
8,918 Posts
Cool. This argument is clearly before my time, and frankly I don't want to drudge it up here and derail this thread.

So, do you want to share that design so I can have a local machine shop fab one up for me?
Are you offering the adapter as a product that's for sale? If yes, is it Manta specific, or does it need to be modified to align with an upright engine?
What I'm asking is, are you willing to contribute to this problem I'm trying to solve?
It's a good question about the alignment. My design is rotated 4 degrees so the extra adapter I have probably won't work for you.

I don't know what a machine shop would charge you to have one made. There's only one or two people I'll trust my design with now.

I'm building a machine to be able to produce such things in the future but the machine is, as I said, in the future. I'm only about half done with it so far. (got a new critical component through UPS today)

Reactions: Vincent

·
Opel Key Master
5,000 Posts
You could buy an adapter plate off eBay and have it modified, but you have the parts in house to have measured out. It’s pretty easy to probably get a Ford pattern layout online. I haven’t looked, but you have a bellhousing, you have the case. So anyone proficient in CAD could measure and draw the two patterns and combine them from the same centers. Put the bellhousing against the case and determine how thick you will need. I would say go with 3/4-7/8 inch. But I would say you are not really saving much money when you factor in drawing it, and material, and then the setup. HRW adapters are around 280 shipped, if you can machine them yourself, or have a good friend that owes you a favor, then you can save some funds, but you can call them and tell them you would like both patterns square to each other and it wouldn’t be a big issue. With the offset shifters available and you could slice the shift lever to compensate for the angle, it shouldn’t matter too much

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have a T5 that I had made from a vender on EBay ( Trans Tec).if anybody is needing something built. It has the early bolt pattern and has world class guts put in it from a Mustang along with the S10 tail housing and gear driven speedometer. I need a adapter to mate with the Opel GT bellhousing . The input shaft is 7 1/4 inches long measured at the trans front main case were the mounting holes are, There are two different front bearing retainers that were used on these trans too One is 124.5 mm and the other 119 mm . I have both front bearing retainers in case in need to swap out. My pilot shaft is 17 mm wide for bearing hole size. I would like purchase a adapter for this if one is available. IMG_2026.JPG IMG_2027.JPG IMG_2028.JPG IMG_2029.JPG

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,583 Posts
I desgined a T5 adapter plate over 12 years ago that took nothing from 1stOpel1981. This has been discussed long before he did his thing. It is available to anyone for free, including HRW, and is a guaranteed 'no whine' design LOL. I have not yet fabbed a plate from it, but it looks like with this interest, it will happen sooner rather than later.

There is nothing special about such designs and nothing is patentable. Let's enjoy our hobby.

·
Opel Key Master
5,000 Posts
I desgined a T5 adapter plate over 12 years ago that took nothing from 1stOpel1981. This has been discussed long before he did his thing. It is available to anyone for free, including HRW, and is a guaranteed 'no whine' design LOL. I have not yet fabbed a plate from it, but it looks like with this interest, it will happen sooner rather than later.

There is nothing special about such designs and nothing is patentable. Let's enjoy our hobby.
Exactly! Its a little different if you are the inventor of it, not cause you can draw it too. Now Deepsix? If you haven't read this thread and don't know where to get an adapter, we cannot help you. Its mentioned in several threads that HRW (aka Hot Rod Works in NC) can make the adapters for you. You just need to tell them the thickness you need when it comes to that one. I'm thinking I will have some made up in 7/8 thick still giving me the pilot length I need

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Since I am reasonably sure HRW either is the company I had build my batch of adapters or they bought out the company that did, it's probably safe to say they got their design from my drawings and the Opel bell housings I sent them in '08 or so. Mantapart was selling them in the 80s, so adapters of some sort have been around for all of 30 years. I actually asked Mantapart to run off a batch before I had them built, and only went ahead with it after they told me they weren't going to.

If someone wants to get bent out of shape about T5 adapter designs I'm perfectly willing to dig through the archives, prove who ran the first batch here, and smack down with whoever didn't bother crediting me or Mantapart for the idea for royalties. As the OG on this project I'm fine with anyone running a batch, and if I'm fine with it then anyone else should be.

·
Über Genius
8,918 Posts

Thanks for your valuable input.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts