Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
it may be a nice swap, but the engine and transmission alone would cost as much as the car would ever be worth. then you get the headaches of sorting all the EFI computer controlled stuff out and fabrication of more things than you'd imagine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i couldnt agree more with greensmurf. If you want another 4 cylinder in the opel, go with a ford 2.3. It has proven to be a pretty good motor, and also, horsepower upgrades are simple with these motors. Ford through a turbocharger on these motors and put them under the hood of a couple mustangs and thunderbirds i think. If i remembr correctly, the turbo 2.3 originally came with a blow through carburetor on it, so computers would not be an issue. I dont kno if there was a later model computer controlled 2.3. I think the 2.3 might have come in other ford products including the ranger, but im sure some1 else can verify.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
i know they put the 8 plug 2.3 liter 4 bangers in the rangers for sure.

·
451 Posts
Sorry guys,

Got to seriously disagree here. I think the combination of the s2000's high RPM motor and six speed tranny would make the GT sound and go like its looks suggest.

The 2.3's are tough motors but are NOT high performance engines and weigh a ton. Sure the S2000 motor is expensive and would take some effort to integrate the computer but you would have a 240hp screamer with a six speed tranny. I think it would take just as much money or more, and more fabrication to install a turbo 2.3 to get anywhere near the same results.

And come on, its a Honda motor so you know it will be dead reliable.

If I had 5K to drop right know I would seriously consider this swap instead of the 3.4 V6 that I working (very slowly) on right now.

Would be pretty cool IMHO.

Later,

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
I think that this has been brought up before. on this site. Try a search and see what pops up.

It might actually work, because the S2000 engine rotates the correct direction, unlike all other Honda engines, which rotate in the reverse direction of almost all (maybe all) engines. One advantage the GT would have as a recipient for the S2000 engine is it's light weight. While the S2000 isn't all that heavy, the lightness of the GT body would help overcome the biggest disadvantage of the S2000: it's PATHETIC low end torque, and hence sluggishness off the line (unless you wind it up and drop the clutch!)

HTH

·
Registered
92 Posts
jeff denton said:
At the risk of causing another wild transplant idea to get moved to the "Humor" forum, may I comment that a German car with a Japanese engine needs only some Italian suspension components to become "Axis GT". :D
Lol. I think I'm going to have to remember that for my project. :)

The "Axis of Evil" GT.

·
Opeler
51 Posts
No Fair

Hey that is the same idea I was thinking of. I have even gone as far as checking out those Japan Engine imports web sites, 30k mile engines cost a lot less than new ones. Sure the engine and trans would cost a bit (more than I have.) But the reason I was thinking of this combo was my wife does not want me in a "old unreliable exc." car. I suggested the idea to appease her with the reliability of a H car, and I know the 240 horses would do me good.
I got one step closer to getting my GT today :D as I do not have one yet. The one I am looking at is very stock, orange very nice with no rust outside the batt box. She needs a steering column as the owner let an idiot work on her and the shaft that holds the s/wheel on is stripped and even after I finished putting the ign switch back I can't drive the car w/o a steering wheel. :(

·
299 Posts
Info update from a honda person. the s2000 still turns the opposite direction as most hondas ( except v6 and k series engines). the transmission is where the rotation is changed to a normal rotation . it uses 4 shafts rather than three like most transmissions. to confirm this i will trake pics of the trans i getting today :) . I have long thought about doing an s2000 swap since i was 15. but now i know all you need is the transmission to make it cheaper.

·
299 Posts
Quick lesson

Ok the thing that makes it cheaper is that the s200 uses a f20c and f22c
which uses the same bellhousing as the f22/f23 accord engine and the h22/h23 prelude engine and possibily acura integra B series engines like b16 b18 b20. For a really cheap swap use an accord engine (#2 selling car in us for over 10 years) makes good power and torque anywhere from 125 to 140
I recomenda f22a1 or f22a6 found in 91-93 accord ex ( intake flange on head same as the h22 which has sidedraft weber kits)
H series engines
h22 has vtec makes anywhere form 175 to 200 hp depending on which on e and where you get it. And the redline at 8500 which is close to the s2000 9000 so the gears are much better
H23 makes around 160 hp non vtec (i like them because you can see valve springs and cam under the cam cover (dont ask) redline 6700
both h series have aluminum cylinder wallslike a briggs&stratton so n/a only unless you want to sleeve the block
B series make alot of power have alot more aftermarket support and are smaller than the f or h series
b16a b16b b16c all jdm i believe but are pretty cheap. all have vtec and make aroud 130 to 140 hp
b18 have many different types vtec non-vtec and are in most integras
rare b18c1 engine make 180+ hp and are jdm only but the usdm b18 make around 140 to 180 hp
b20 honda crv engine non-vtec and respond well to a b16 or b18 vtec head

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Just looking at some of them for sale on ebay the motor looks too wide. You would definatly need to do some sort of custom exhaust manifold, a "block hugger" of sorts.

The shifter is also about a foot too far back so you would have to build some sort of new shifter linkadge which doesn't look easy considering it's integration into the back of the trans.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
72opelguy said:
For a really cheap swap use an accord engine
The issue with Honda motors is that with the exception of the s2000, all 4-cylinder honda motors rotate the wrong direction for an Opel. Looking at the front end of the motor, the end without the flywheel and with the belts and pulleys, the crankshaft on a Honda 4-cylinder rotates counter-clockwise, like a Corvair, wheras almost every other motor known to the automotive world, including the Opel one rotates clockwise. This means that if you put an accord motor to an s2000 tranny the output would give an Opel 5 reverse gears and one forward one.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
oldopelguy said:
The issue with Honda motors is that with the exception of the s2000, all 4-cylinder honda motors rotate the wrong direction for an Opel. .....
Read Post #10

Another problem I see with the honda motors (except the 2000) is that the intake manifold points in the wrong direction. Seeing how close it is to the rear of the motor you would have to either cut into the firewall to route intake piping or fabricate/modify an intake to point forward.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Ahem... why not adapt the IRS rearend out of the S2000 as well. If it's too narrow, wider offset rims. If it's too wide, Steinmetz flares. Plus you get rear discs

The IRS does add a lot more work, but as my dad says "the long way is the short way"

·
299 Posts
ok im going to stick my foot in my mouth about the s2000 rotation you guys are i looked at the tranny wrong the other day but now i own it and its inmy possesion and i have something to update

forget the f22 and h22 the bellhousing is different and the flywheel wont fit into the bellhousing which leads me to believe that the b series is different which i confirmed that on a honda site but now i think a b series engine will fit only which isnt bad because more aftermarket support more power to weight more power per cc and it just smaller easier to package but i have a thread on a honda site to get someone to send pics and measure their bellhousing

ok now to address the rotation thing no problem on a dohc engine because you dont have problems like LSA and intake centerline on the same cam the firing order will just be reversed instead of 1342 it would be 1243 so cam timing you would just have to position the cams in the proper location relative to the crank easy with a belt and then to fine tune it adjustable cam
gears. and since honda uses a dizzy on the back of the engine either leave it there and put a hole in the fire wall or move to the front
i know it sounds like alot but im going to find out what i need to do and try
o and feel free to harass me about the honda thing i got into them by accident but i loved my opels first always and forever

·
299 Posts
ok i going to admit defeat on using a fwd honda engine for rwd 1 main reason is the oil pump turns the wrong way even if you make it run right hand but i am still planning on using the 6 speed i just now need to come up with a engine to use too many options but the high the peak power rpm the better

·
Registered
20 Posts
that is imposable, the s200 motor / tranny spins in a clockwise rotation and the z,d,b,h series engines all spin counter clockwise, pluss they wont even bolt up, the only other engines that honda make that have clockwise rotation are the K series engines oo' and up but alas these wont bolt up eather

·
Registered
3 Posts
So it's been a few years since this topic has come up. I was wondering if anyone went ahead with this swap? I'm looking around and complete(motor,tranny, wiring,computer) S2000 swaps can be had for $4,000.. Is anyone going to be the first to try?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.