Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have the entire rear suspension and drive train off my 72 GT. What a job getting the left drum off. I literally had to take a sazall and chisel to open up the drum to get it off, and of course damaging a couple of studs. The entire axle and differential needs to be sandblasted. I read in one restoration book that even on a sealed unit the sand can enter the case. Is this true? Do I really need to completely disassemble the axles and differential? Hope to hear from someone who has gone through this process before. Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
i just did this a month ago.... take off the torque tube then leave the shaft in the diferential and tape it off real well (duct tape works great for blasting... clean and tape off the vent on the top of the axel.... then tape off the area where the axels enter the axel housing this will protect the seal.... then blast away!!! be real careful blasting around the tapped areas... when your done remove the tape and if you see any sand aroung the torque tube shaft area clean it off well before removing the shaft..... it looks great when you get it painted!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joe - I have the torque tube and shaft off but I should left it on - but I can still tape off the pionion area. I It didn't even occur to me to just tape off the axle seals and keep the blast away from the tape - I can always get in close with something else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts