Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original manta (72) had no B-pillar, just the chrome post to hold the rear windows, so in the summer, I would just take everything off and have one big hole on each side.

But, my current manta is a bit newer (73? 74?) and has a thick steel post behind the chrome to hold the seatbelt bracket.. So the plan is to get it off, I don't like it.. nobody likes it.
So is there anything this post is used for except to hold the seatbelt? I don't want the roof to colapse or find that the doors don't shut properly if I saw it off.
Thanks! :)

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
sven you have answered you own question
the "b" pillar supports the middle of the shell
you would need to put some box section steel under the floor to replace the lost stiffness
if you are planning to do a repaint job at any time then you might want to look at doing some seam welding of the inner supports under the roof

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if the roof has been changed before?

But how did my old manta stay together not having the B-pillar in the first place? My current manta is a berlineta (luxus?) but the sunroof must have been leaking, so the roof was changed with another car that had no sunroof.
would the sunroofless roof be strong enough to keep the car together without that middle post? I seems wierd that they would just decide to install weaker roofs in 73. :confused:
Thanks.

Attachments

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
you cannot hang the seat belt on a little bit of window frame so they must have up graded the post to carry the top loop
if you can get around the seat belt rules by mounting the top loop just below the frame line then it may work but i would think the rest of the structure was less well made because the frame acted as a stress member (they dont like to add more steel than they need to as it all costs money )

my manta A was the same as your earlyer one and at the time we did not have seat belt laws so they were not fitted so i dont know how you will do it :confused:

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
Simple:
The body shell has "Different" reinforcements added to the early Mantas,
ie. non- "B" pillar versions.

If you look closely at a early Manta & a late Manta, the differences will be
obvoius. The late 73, 74 & 75 Manta have less steel reinforcements because
"of" the B pillar.

So, IF you want to cut the B pillar out, you will need to weld in the early
rosker reinforcments & the lower opening of the B side of the door opening.
Dennis
Owner who "HAS" added the B pillars to a early 73 Manta.
The stiffness of the body shell was greatly strengthened!!!!!!!
Sven said:
But how did my old manta stay together not having the B-pillar in the first place? My current manta is a berlineta (luxus?) but the sunroof must have been leaking, so the roof was changed with another car that had no sunroof.
would the sunroofless roof be strong enough to keep the car together without that middle post? I seems wierd that they would just decide to install weaker roofs in 73. :confused:
Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ohh.. thats bad news. Seatbelt laws here say that pre-76. cars don't need to have them, so i have that covered, I just wasn't planing on reinforcing the body. I'll look at my old manta when i get the interior out. to see the diferencies, and maybe sometime later when i have money, I'll reinforce the chassis and finally get rid of that B-pillar.

Thank you, you saved me alot of trouble.. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, IF you want to cut the B pillar out, you will need to weld in the early
rosker reinforcments & the lower opening of the B side of the door opening.
ok, so i studdied both bodys 72 & 73.. but the only reinforcement i found on the 72 was that on the B side of the door opening. (attachements)

could you please point me out what a "rosker reinforcment" is? i don't know where to look anymore, everything else is the same..
thanks!

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Rip IN to it!

Sven, The "rosker reinforcement" has me completely mystified too - never heard of anything called by that name ..... and I am suposed to speak the same language as Dennis. :confused:

I would think that if the body work in the area looks much the same in both cars then removing the annoying pillar will be possible. By the look of your secomd picture in the posting above there is a reinforcing panel halfway up the side of the car behind the door and under the pillar anyway.

As we say in Kiwiland - "Rip into it!" - and see what happens.......

HTH

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
i think that should read rocker reinforcement
terms are diff all around the world here its called a sill
and the earlier manta's had a thicker metal for the inner and outer sill panels :D
you can get around this by adding some box section to the inside of the floor or the outside of the floor to spread the load across the body
the plus side of this is the shell is stiffer and will handle better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.