Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to get in on this post.

I just ran my first SCCA event yesterday and it was interesting. First of all, I just wanted to drive and I had my two teenagers that wanted to drive also. So when the sheet came around to classify the car, I was lost very quickly. I figured that I was at least in the Street Prepared, if not maybe Street Modified.

I asked the guy that was doing the inspection and his response was, "Those aren't stock wheels are they? SP or SM." He told me it was up to the drivers to classify their car, but unless someone protested, I could put it in SP. I never did classify it, so we will see when they post the results.

Then there is the whole field worker issue. The third, and final, Heat yesterday, they were hurting for track workers to run that heat. I had some time so I volunteered, not knowing any more than having driven the course and watching. Of course, I learned very quickly what the difference was between a DNF and a +1. I would have never known, had I not called a guy for DNF when he trashed a cone. He came running over to me so fast after his run to straighten it out. (And here I thought I would be helpful.)

All in all, it was a blast and my guys loved it too.

My oldest son told me that now he had a place to come when he was challenged to race. I then found out that he had already been challenged a couple of times by friends to race the GT. He said he could just tell them the place and time and meet them out there.

For that, and the ability for kids to be told to drive faster, I think the SCCA has something very powerful going. Especially after the release of such movies as the two Fast and Furious movies.

One last gripe...Try getting into the classification requirements on some of the various SCCA group web sites. They have them profile/password protected. (And they wonder why newbies have no clue how to classify their car.)

Attached is a picture of my 16 year old just before his first run.

Attachments

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There were two GT's at the KC SCCA Event.

Bucky made it out with Celeste, also.

Attachments

·
Certified Opelholic
1,479 Posts
Now that's a sweet Looking GT

SCCA can be great fun

if you can get 5 runs in at an event you can really start improving fast

i was lucky when i started they let me run stock class even though i had 15X7 rims and Comp TA's on front and Fuldas on rear

They new I wasn't going to win anything.

when it came time to work they put me out there with 2 experienced drivers that not only showed me how to work corner but as the different cars went buy explained what handling was

now they have Novice class which is a big help in getting people started

Davegt27

·
Opeler
36 Posts
houserc

Check out mouton.org/sccasolo/ they list all allowed mods for stock, Street prepared and SM2.

Lee F
longtime autoxer

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lee,

Thanks for the link. That was one of the few pages that gave me some of the information I was looking for.

The group that put together the event we were at, had a web page listing of all the various mods grouped into categories down the left side, such as engine, suspension, etc. Then, they had the classes listed across with checkmarks in the cells that modification fit into. Similar to looking at the comparison chart for various software on the back of the box.

If I find it, I'll post the link.

Chris

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Under hood pics

I've got two picture from when I purchased the car. I'm in the process of cleaning, polishing, and detailing the engine compartment and don't have current photos.

Also, my son drives it to school as his regular driver, so I can't get current pics until this afternoon.

But, I started my photo album and uploaded two pics and will add to it as I can.

Here is one of the uploads.

Chris

Attachments

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Chris
Seeing that you are living in Kansas and involved/interested in Autocrossing, I presume that you will make it to Topeka for Solo Nationals. If nothing else, you and your two sons can go and watch for an afternoon. There will be at least 1100 Autocrossers up there for the week.

Got my daughter hooked on Autocrossing a few years back. Check it out... Sorry, its in a NEON

Paul

Attachments

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul,

Where do you autocross in Fort Smith? I did some work there about 7-9 years ago for Beverly Enterprises.

I just found out that the nationals were held in Topeka. It's only an hour away. I'm not sure what is going on schedule wise. Both my guys are playing high school soccer and we don't have the game schedule yet.

We'll be there though, time allowing.

Chris

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Chris,

Go to www.scca.org and look at BOTH Solo II and PRO Solo. The PRO Finalie is the weekend BEFORE the SOLO Nationls. So, from Saturday thru Friday you will see Tons of Awsome cars and their Drivers. I won't be there, however.

In the Ft Smith area, I'm in the NEOKLA region. That's North East Oklahoma. They have sites at Muskogee, Stroud and Tulsa.

Mostly I go to Little Rock and few surrounding states: Tennessee, Texas, etc.

Paul

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul,

Thanks for the info. It should be a busy September. We've registered for a local car show and it looks like the SCCA races are the weekend after.

Here's a shot of my 16 year old running the cones.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is there an SCCA event at Royals (sorry Kaufman) stadium this weekend?

If so, I'd like to visit and check it out. I've never been to a Solo II event.

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, there is. This weekend's run is Monday, September 1st, due to Labor day. Arrowhead, Lot A.

Here is the schedule site.
http://www.svtoa-kc.com/calendar/events/2003_racing_events_schedule.htm

Registration starts at 8:30 and the races start between 9:00 and 10:00 AM.

I don't know if we'll make it our this weekend or not yet. Depends on the domestic plans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts