Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm building a new motor for the Kadett, and I'm positive it will not be anywhere near "correct" as per SCCA rules. I'm not interested in really competing with it, and I don't care if it's competitive, I just want to be able to autocross the car for the fun of the events and not get turned away. What's the best way to go about classifing it?

The tech guys at local Autocross events don't seem too particularly concerned with the car class, more with basic car safety. In fact, at all three of the last events I've told them a class, had it accepted, and found out I was wrong after the event. Is it really only an issue if you're winning? If so, can I just put it in A-mod and lose every time but be allowed to run?

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
The smaller clubs don't seem to be nearly as concerned with what class you're running as the larger and often more competitive clubs. Personally, my sense of ethics would get in the way of running in a class where I didn't belong, even if others were not concerned. While it may not matter where you run if you're not running up front, why not just run in the right class...

Is this the car you're putting the turbo motor in? If yes, SM(street mod) is likely the right place to run. If you could give a quick list of the modifications I can tell you if you qualify. You haven't moved any of the suspension pick up points on the chassis, have you?

-Travis

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mods

Travis,
Yes, this is the wagon getting the turbo motor. The 2.2 head is one of the bigest concerns, along with the EFI system and the turbo itself. "Little" stuff like the cam, roller rockers (if that works out), rods and pistons, S-10 clutch, Getrag, brakes, and the like seem easy enough to class, and shouldn't be that big a deal.

I hadn't even thought about how the suspension would re-class the car. While I plan on using the stock mounting points in the rear, I don't plan on much else back there being stock. Probably a similar set-up to yours, but with a torque arm along the drive-shaft instead of the top link, and I want to use a different style of lower spring mount than stock on the axle if that matters.

In the front I'm hoping to swap in an entire Manta front cross-member, bolted to the body with the stock mounting points. Geting rid of that front leaf will probably raise some issues too, won't it?

Between the Manta front and a stock-width Toyota axle out back, the track will be 3-5" wider as well, but should still fit under the fender flares with the right wheels. I guess that means even the body won't look stock. Lots of "issues."

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
The motor incluiding turbo and 2.2l head are fine in SM. The toyota rear as long as it uses the stock mounts to the body will be fine. This would be the two trailing arm mounts as well as where the torque tube picks up the floor. The Manta front will be a problem as it uses the sway bar as one part of the lower a-arm. I'd have to re-read the rules to be certain but this will likely be THE problem in SM. I am uncertain as to whether an alternate cross member is legal or not. The rules are sufficiently vague that I don't know if the mount point between the crossmember and body or the mount point between the control arms and cross member need to be maintained...

-Travis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts