Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the titles says!

Attachments

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,217 Posts
What’s so special about a ‘73 Intake? My ‘73 GT has one. Still has the welded-up EGR fitting on it too.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: RallyBob

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Stock 70 vs 73 Intake manifolds. Big difference!

I know the later model flows 92 cfm, but how much do the earlier more restrictive cores flow?

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
The trick is to try and increase intake runner velocity (torque). The flow numbers will increase proportionately. Match porting is just a matter of time for your labor with some pretty basic tools. Cheap Horsepower.
(y)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trick is to try and increase intake runner velocity (torque). The flow numbers will increase proportionately. Match porting is just a matter of time for your labor with some pretty basic tools. Cheap Horsepower.
(y)
I'm aware. I already built and am running a ported, welded tented intake on my GT.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
First off gave the intake a good cleaning. Used my old 1/2" aluminum template from my first ported intake to bore this one to my Weber 38 dges dimensions.

Then got all Initial porting done. Went WAY out of my comfort zone this time and broke threw all all eight areas covered in Bob's article. In comparison to my first 1970 intake where I had only broken threw at all four exhaust bolt seat areas.

Attachments

Reactions: RallyBob

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: V6Opel and RallyBob

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made a tent out of aluminum.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dropped the intake off at my buddy's for welding. Fingers crossed, hopefully everything turn out good!

Reactions: NC-K9 and RallyBob

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pretty cool!
Is that tent just a piece of aluminum angle?
I have a 73 intake on it's way. Was thinking about a tent of some sort and smoothing out edges.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup , just aluminum angle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Never thought about a tent...what effect does that do to the flow of air/fuel mixture...seems like it would speed up the mixture....why is it not done when they made the manifold...must have some down-sides..

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Never thought about a tent...what effect does that do to the flow of air/fuel mixture...seems like it would speed up the mixture....why is it not done when they made the manifold...must have some down-sides..
Best you do some research on the subject of ported / tented intakes.
It's a subject that's been heavily discussed for 20+ years on this forum

Reactions: SpringGT

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Welder hasn't had a chance to weld up my intake, witch worked out in the end. I've since read that Bob prefers a dull tent over a sharp edge because of the tremendous back and forth turbulences created as each cylinder draws threw the carb and plentum area. Make sense to me. So I grinded down almost 1/8" off my 90* sharp tent peak to mimic a more rounded curvature.

Attachments

Reactions: The Cub

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wish my 73 intake would hurry up and get here!!!!

Do you plan on having your buddy weld the the tent in too?

I bought some high temp Lab Metal to other day. Was thinking about spot welding the tent and then filling and smoothing the cracks with the L.M.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts