Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
random dumb questions

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to repair a passenger side seat belt clip? My sister boke it....she is walking for a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gah, I just want three days of problem free crusin! (I know, its thirty but a girl can dream) . If not doable, does anyone have one sitting in a parts car that I could buy or something easily?
Also, Does anyone know what kind of fluid asside from coolant would burn with a steam like appearance in a whispy sorta ****** cleary color? I am having a bit of (I hate to say this) smoke come off from the back end of under the hood. It is going away so my guess is that something is burning off. It isnt coolant as it doesnt smell sweet. I am guessing that stuff just settled last week when the starter died and leaked a bit. It is going away and barely noticable anymore but being the worry wart I am....

And the last thing....what does everyone know about lead additives for gasoline....I heard that I should be doing this and I doubt the previous owner did it either....what have I/ could I have damaged? What kind of additive do you reccomend? How often do I add the stuff and how much?

That is all the moronic random questions for now....stay tuned for more!;)

·
587 Posts
Concerning lead additives, you probably don't have to worry
about it even if your engine is still original without hardened
valve seats. If your engine runs good (not burning oil,good
compression ,etc..) and you're not racing or "beating" the car,
it should be fine. But when you do need a rebuild, make sure
they install hardened seats. You can add a lead substitute
once in a while with a gas fill up too.

My 72 GT has 98k on it & still runs great. No additives.
Although my new engine that I will be finishing this week
does have hardened seats along with some other goodies.

My 70 mach 1 with 56k I use lead substitute & even used
to put in some 100 LL when I was at the airport working
on my friends jets & aerobatic planes.

Tom C

·
Administrator
10,272 Posts
Mach1Tom said:
Concerning lead additives, you probably don't have to worry
about it even if your engine is still original without hardened
valve seats. If your engine runs good (not burning oil,good
compression ,etc..) and you're not racing or "beating" the car,
it should be fine. But when you do need a rebuild, make sure
they install hardened seats. You can add a lead substitute
once in a while with a gas fill up too.

My 72 GT has 98k on it & still runs great. No additives.
Although my new engine that I will be finishing this week
does have hardened seats along with some other goodies.

My 70 mach 1 with 56k I use lead substitute & even used
to put in some 100 LL when I was at the airport working
on my friends jets & aerobatic planes.

Tom C
I agree. Ran my '69 on unleaded as a daily driver for 4 years before restoration and 4 years after restoration without problems.

'70 Mach 1.... Tom, when we are at Carlisle in May, remind me to tell you the story of the new one I once ordered....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that is comforting at least. Now if it would run....we had a sad incident today. Again. It seems that I cant keep it running smoothly for more than a few days. I will redo the engine come summer hopefully (insane in AZ I know) but now I am having another host of problems. I have only had the car a fcouple of months and I know....its thirty and I will have to replace everything until all of this crap stops. However, someone should give me a good grades/ good kid discount on my parts rather than my insurance, and I could sure use someone in town who could help sometimes.....I feel stupid asking my boyfriends dad all of the time and i am sick of my mom telling me how stupid I am for buying my dream car right before college.....grrrrr:mad:

Again I ask... anyone have the seat belt clip from a parts car?

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Well, I don't know about anyone having the part you need, but, why not as one of our Canadian members to hunt you up the entire set up from a Pony they got up there, suppoedly they almost bolt right in.

·
315 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "seat belt clip", but I probably have one. Over the years I have stripped several Opels to build as race cars... and I never throw anything away. Tell me exactly what it is and I'll let you know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the belt on the inside townards the console that the passenger side seat belt clips into...my ignorant 16 yr old sister neglestsd to be careful and forced the male end of the seat belt in and cracked all the plastic that holds the spring ect that holds the belt in place. What I need is the female end of the seat belt and the clip that holds the other end in placed...the buckle I guess.

·
Super Moderator
5,992 Posts
Seat Belts?

Did I hear SEAT BELTS????

As Gene mentioned, I discovered last year that the '86/'87 Hyundai Pony has three point retractable seat belts that are a VERY good fit for the GT. And a PERFECT fit for the '73 GT, since they already have the lower retractor bolt hole in place. You just need to drill a 1/4 inch hole through the side panel just above the mounting hole, for the locator pin in the Pony retractor. Even the bolts have the same thread. Then you have better seat belts than just about anyone in the Opel community. Except for us Canadians, that is.

The Pony was only imported from Korea into Canada, but not the U.S.A. So I have sold fourteen sets (14!) to Opel folks around the country. Your country, that is. Some of them frequent this site, such as James Coronato (N61WP, who I think sold them to a friend when he turned his GT into a rallyXer), Allen & Vickie Gage (saxybiker, two sets), Ken Alderson (svopel) and James Perlowsky (jimsky). And a few more have been sold by the Opel Queen of Leduc, Katheryn McCoy, who doesn't hang around this site but is a fixture on the classicopels page. I kinda retired last fall, and Kat took up the calling. In truth, I stripped all the Pony's in the Calgary PYP yard, so Kat had a go at those up at her end of Alberta.

Now the bad news. I don't have any left, and it's the middle of the coldest March in history here. It's minus 25 C right now, and there is just NO WAY that I can get more belts before April. If at all. You might give Kat a try ([email protected]) to see if she has any left. I had been charging approximately $40 USD per set including shipping, and I think Kat was doing the same. The shipping is as much as the darn belts!

HTH and good luck. With ALL your Opel troubles.

Reactions: Jaxley

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Keith...yeah I heard you helped Ms Kat out...I see both of your names often in my email from classic opels...I just havent got the workings of that forum quite figured out yet... I think, given my money situation right now (being 17 and jobless) and the fact that the opel needs A LOT of mehanical stuff right now too, the cheaper I can go the better. I just need the one piece...and I have a ton of car work to do over spring break already. I will However, definetly keep the pony belts in mind when I do the vast majority of work on it over the summer when I am working two jobs and getting ready for college to start. I am sure evenings and Saturdays will be opel upgrade time at which time I will definetly be looking for better belts. For now, a parts car piece will suffice. I just nedd to be able to drive my sister around as she is picky and still hasnt replaced the car she wrecked (ouch but I think it was worse for me than her). Sorry about the cold weather... I am sure I will have to deal with it when I move to minnesota in four years for grad school. For now, its march and I am wearing shorts and a tanl top....and dreaming of snow....that is what I get for living in a stinkin desert.:p

And my opel troubles WILL get better....I love that car...it has simply been a bad week. Besides its like a defiant child, threaten to part it out and it will behave.

·
315 Posts
OK, I think I know what you need for the seat belt. I'll look around and see if I have what you need. I'll be going out of town this afternoon and won't be back until Thursday, so I'll let you know then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts