Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been amazed at the leg room in the GT's but it causes me problems as well. My first GT had to have more track formed and welded in for me to drive it. (Go ahead, yuck it up - I'm short.) Since the new beast is hopefully going to be ready for actual test driving soon I'm looking at modifying it shortly thereafter. So has anyone done anything to their seats to move them, raise them, etc? Being as short as I am moving them forward is actually better for visibility too so I'm not as keen on the idea of pedal extenders (which make me nervous anyway). Plus, they'd have to extend by about 5 or 6".
Quit laughing.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Not Laughing!

The easiest way may be to just make up some spacers that bolt to the seat mounting bolts that extend forward far enough and that the existing seat rails can be bolted too. Made out out some 1 1/2" X 3/4" bar stock they sould be strong enough to suport the moved forward seat - and a petite person.

That would allow the seat to be moved further forward than stock and raise it as well.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
when i got my gt in 81 it had 2"X1/4" bar stock extintions
they were straght with a 2" right angle leg @ front end and 4" longer than the orig seat mount

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now those are some good suggestions. Sure would be cheaper than having someone weld. Cool. Thanks guys.
Jeff, if you have the time, how did you move the pedals?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
This is probably WAY more than you wanna do, it is fabricating and welding...And you don't have to go nearly this far of course, but basically we cut the pedal mount assembly off the firewall,built bracketry and mounted it all to the rollbar piping above the footwell area. Your application would be a little different in design, I'm sure, and it actually could be a LOT simpler than what you see here. I tossed the vacuuum can, (don't need it in a race car) and the linkage rod. The stock master cylinder easily mounted to the pedal assembly and a short rod and clevis hooked it to the pedal. So the master cylinder is INSIDE the car now, it is the yellow thing you see in there. The brake fluid reservoirs are Ford pickup clutch fluid reservoirs mounted in the engine bay on the firewall/cowl area. Again, yours would not have to be this complex... Pretty much the same drill for the gas pedal. It all remains stock, just moved, but all that funky linkage baloney was simplified to a nice tough Morse control cable. I just looked inside my parts car before writing this, and see it would be pretty easy (for me, anyway) to simply move all pedals back and lengthen the brake push rod to the vacuum can. In the top photo you can see the pedals (kind of), they are 6-8" behind the firewall.
Don't be shocked at the horrendous Opel butchery you see, it all worked out very well and drives quite nicely!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts