Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to replacing the driver's side front left seat track bolt that at some point in the last 30 yrs ripped out of the floor (sheet metal w/nut attached). After removing the seat (Recaro) I noticed that the rear left bolt has also pulled though.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences in this regard...i.e.already fixed this problem? I plan to take it to an experienced welder and am kinda hoping they will know what to do to fix it. If not, I'd like to be able to provide some suggestions.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Opel GTer
93 Posts
good question...mine are ripped through as well.
unfortunately this is one of those things i dont think duct tape is going to fix.lol
but in my opinion not a big deal.
1)cut new sheet metal to fit on top of old, mark for holes where the nuts havent ripped through,(mark from underside) drill holes
2)weld new sheet metal on top of old
3)remove track from seat
4)line up track with existing hole and mark for new holes
5)drill new holes and tack new nuts to the underside of new plate

this is what i will probably do to fix mine.
other Ideas are very welcome
-Clayton

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Mike, Clayton, I had the same problem on Willit?. Luckily only one bolt, driver's side front left rail came out, luckily again with the nut and sheetmetal attached to the bolt. I asked the welder who has been doing all of the mods on the car if a fix could be made and he assured me it would be a piece of cake. We just put the torn piece back in place, as close to original as we could, and he welded it back in place. All I had to do then was make it flush again with a sanding disc. You gotta look real close to see that it was repaired at all. Big thing with this type of repair is good weld penetration and I'm sure I have that after having to mod some of the stuff we thought would work that didn't and had to redo it. HTH.

·
Opel GTer
93 Posts
good fix. that sounds like that might work for Mikes application.
unfortunately i think the tear in mine is to big to weld. :(
No prob though. Ive def. dealt with much greater chalenges with
the GT. this is no biggie.
clayton

·
1,220 Posts
When mine did that, I welded a new nut to a large fender washer, inverted the nut/washer so that the nut was in the hole with the washer laying on the channel, and then welded the washer to the existing channel. that was two years ago and its still holding. I think I have a picture of the completed job on my computer at home.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Dmcbrass, that is/was a slick trick. One of the previous owners of my brown one cut through the bottom of the car to get to the front drivers seat bolt/nut, and I still haven't patched the hole yet. On the "to do list" Jarrell

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
If anyone needs the actual tracks which is between the seat and the attachment points, please let me know. I have a few pairs

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
One of mine was also ripped, I just rewelded in place. The reason they rip is due to the fact that only one side of the seat locks. I made adaptors because I am putting Recaros in my GT, but the biggest improvement is that I took the locking mechs from my donor car and paired them with the original ones. It will now take two hands to slide the seat, but it will be locked on both sides so that all four bolts will be doing the work, not just two.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I made a captured nut on a small piece of rectangular sheet metal and welded that on in place of the damaged area, it worked great I am using stock seat rails on fiero seats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.