1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,248 Posts
Can't adjust the seat angle and I don't like the things on the sides. The square tops of the seat backs will make your car feel cramped.

Just get some Miata/MX5 seats and be a happy camper.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nice period looking seats. I bought a pair of Corbeau Alpine fixed back bucket seats for our Chevette when they were on sale a while a go for 200€/ piece. I haven't mounted them yet so I can't say anything about how comfortable they are. I also bought a pair of seat frames for Kadett C/Chevette so I don't have to fabricate ones.
https://www.corbeau-seats.com/product/alpine-classic-bucket-seat/

·
Opeler
862 Posts
Stock seats

I'm 6'7" and my head has never hit the headliner with my stock (recovered) seats. Do you not have stock seats or do you not like the look?

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 6'7" and my head has never hit the headliner with my stock (recovered) seats. Do you not have stock seats or do you not like the look?
If I could find a decent pair of original seats, I would rather go with that. Finding them might be the trick. After you find them, you have to have them shipped, and that's pretty costly. The ex wife got rid of my originals along with the sliders. Couldn't wait to get rid of everything in the garage.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice period looking seats. I bought a pair of Corbeau Alpine fixed back bucket seats for our Chevette when they were on sale a while a go for 200€/ piece. I haven't mounted them yet so I can't say anything about how comfortable they are. I also bought a pair of seat frames for Kadett C/Chevette so I don't have to fabricate ones.
https://www.corbeau-seats.com/product/alpine-classic-bucket-seat/
I have a set of Corbeau racing seats in there now, but my head hits the headliner, have to sit way back in order to drive the GT. It looked like they would fit, but the seat is a little higher than I expected.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't adjust the seat angle and I don't like the things on the sides. The square tops of the seat backs will make your car feel cramped.

Just get some Miata/MX5 seats and be a happy camper.
Gordon, I have been looking for the Miata seats, but without any luck. Maybe I should try Craigs List in my area, if nothing, the expand the search to a wider area.

Bob

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,248 Posts
Gordon, I have been looking for the Miata seats, but without any luck. Maybe I should try Craigs List in my area, if nothing, the expand the search to a wider area.

Bob
I have a set of the rare beige leather anniversary edition Miata/MX5 seats in my basement. They were in my Red Baron car. They may even still have the Opel rails still on them. PM me with a phone number and we can talk about them.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a set of the rare beige leather anniversary edition Miata/MX5 seats in my basement. They were in my Red Baron car. They may even still have the Opel rails still on them. PM me with a phone number and we can talk about them.
Gordon, my interior is black. Looked online and the only place that has them is located in Sacramento. I go to the SF Bay area to see my daughters and carve with the boys pretty regular at once a month. There is a set for $250 of course they are not leather. I am thinking that the shipping would be $150+ from New Jersey to Nevada. Maybe they can be dyed to black, but the shipping is a killer.

Bob

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I have a set of Miata seats in my Red Gt and I think they would do well for what you want to do. If Gordon has the ones with the Gt rails, you might be better off with them. The Miata seats, to add the Gt rails, I had to fabricate some Aluminium blocks to get everything to work correctly. It was a 2 day P.I.B. job, but they do sit well. Jarrell

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,248 Posts
I have black/charcoal/grey cloth ones in the GTX. I didn't think you would want the beige because I knew that you had a black interior. It would be silly to paint them. I just thought I'd offer them up, sort of like an advertisement, for someone who has a beige/white interior. I like them a lot more, it's easier to slide around on the seat on them to get at stuff behind the seat and getting in and out. I'm sure it would be $250 to ship them out to you.

I would tell you to pounce on the ones in Sacramento. You might be able to get them for as low as $150 if you pick them up.

Miata seats in a GT.jpg Armrest console.JPG Black Miata seats.jpg IMG_4789.jpg Solstice seats in a GT (7).jpg Miata seat height measurements (1).JPG Miata seat height measurements (2).JPG Miata seat height measurements (3).JPG Black Miata seat with Opel rails.jpg Black Miata seats with oem rails on and off.jpg

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,248 Posts
These are pics of how I made my adapters. The rails are farther apart by 1"-2" and you need to boost the height of the seat by 3/4" because the belly of the seats actually protrudes below the seat rail and the boost in height is necessary for the seats to slide back and forth all the way and not hit a rail on the GT floor. No springs, it's all dense foam encased in sheet metal.

Mazda seat GT adapters (1).JPG Mazda seat GT adapters (2).JPG Mazda seat GT adapters (3).JPG Mazda seat GT adapters (4).JPG Mazda seat GT adapters (5).JPG Mazda seat GT adapters (6).JPG

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
These are pics of how I made my adapters. The rails are farther apart by 1"-2" and you need to boost the height of the seat by 3/4" because the belly of the seats actually protrudes below the seat rail. The boost in height is also necessary for the seats to slide back and forth all the way and not hit a rail on the GT floor. No springs, it's all dense foam encased in sheet metal.

View attachment 386689 View attachment 386691 View attachment 386693 View attachment 386695 View attachment 386697 View attachment 386699
Far better than what I did. Bob, why can't you just get black seat covers. I got a set at AutoZone many years ago and they work well, but they are on the original Gt seats. Jarrell

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
These are pics of how I made my adapters. The rails are farther apart by 1"-2" and you need to boost the height of the seat by 3/4" because the belly of the seats actually protrudes below the seat rail. The boost in height is also necessary for the seats to slide back and forth all the way and not hit a rail on the GT floor. No springs, it's all dense foam encased in sheet metal.

View attachment 386689 View attachment 386691 View attachment 386693 View attachment 386695 View attachment 386697 View attachment 386699
Very nice setup Gordo.:cool: Jarrell

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a matter of fact, I am thinking about recovering the seats, they are not to bad, but with an all brand new interior, they wont fit in. I think I am going to get the Miata seats and call it a day. The original seats are hard to find, and they all need to be recovered. This way is a little less expensive, but not cheap by an means.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
4,971 Posts
I have a few sets of the original seats but they are all in NY. Like you said the shipping is a killer.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
As a matter of fact, I am thinking about recovering the seats, they are not to bad, but with an all brand new interior, they wont fit in. I think I am going to get the Miata seats and call it a day. The original seats are hard to find, and they all need to be recovered. This way is a little less expensive, but not cheap by an means.

Bob
Bob, Bonneville Speed Week ended Friday AM and my seats should be in Stagecoach by now (it takes me 2 days to drive home alone but most people have help). Do you still want them? If you do, send me a PM or reply here and I will send you the contact info. Your total cost is a round trip to pick them up (and a couple of bolts as mine have disappeared into the depths of my shop!).

Doug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts