Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My brother's kids have shown a sudden interest in knowing more about their grandfather now that they're having kids of their own. As I am the oldest, I inherited all of my father's surviving art and the Bartsch family heirlooms.

While compiling my father's drawings and storing them digitally so that they can be shared with them on CDs, I discovered to my great surprise that I'm a second generation Opeler, not a "first gen" as I had always thought. :eek:

Here's proof in a pencil drawing he did in 1932 when he was 26 and after his parents had moved the family from Budapest to Breslau. This, along with five or six other bicycle racing drawings he did from 1921 to 1932, will now be matted and framed together and prominently displayed in my home. QUITE A FIND!!
 

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
Joined
·
5,564 Posts
Great!

Nice thing to be able to pass on to the next generation - just goes to show that Opelitis is hereditary too!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
That is a very nice find and a families heritage should be well kept.
 

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
i'm a second generation opeler, my father had several opels in his teenager years, 4 GTs and 2 Mantas with the blacksheep kadette. altho he hasnt owned a opel in 20 years, i somehow caught the bug too.
 

·
Pathologic Opeler
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
grandmothers side

I believe OPELS were descendents of farm machinery,bicycles, and sewing machines?
Did your grandmother have an OPEL sewing machine?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Second drawing addition

tekenaar said:
My brother's kids . . . the Bartsch family heirlooms.

While compiling my father's drawings . . . always thought. :eek:

Here's proof in a pencil drawing he did in 1932 when he was 26 and just after his parents had moved the family from Budapest to Breslau. This, along with five or six other bicycle racing drawings he did from 1921 to 1932, will now be matted and framed together and prominently displayed in my home. QUITE A FIND!!
Just noticed something on the original of the second drawing, the motorcycle paced bicycle race. If you look closely at it, the lead motorcycle also has "OPEL" on the tank and that drawing was done in 1931. All in all, an interesting discovery. :)
 

·
boomerang opeler
Joined
·
5,636 Posts
otto he must have ben a brave man :cool: to ride that bike with a back curve front fork
tried it on one of my bikes (turned it back to front to see )and found it almost unridable :eek:
very very twitchy
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
MC paced bike arena races . . .

baz said:
otto he must have ben a brave man :cool: to ride that bike with a back curve front fork
tried it on one of my bikes (turned it back to front to see )and found it almost unridable :eek:
very very twitchy
This was evidently a VERY POPULAR "sport" in Europe from the late teens to the mid-thirties. They were typically run in "planked" arenas (velodromes) and, I think, the bikes' forks were "backward curved" to be able to get right up onto their pacer MC's rear "roll bar". These were not just short sprints either, 100KM was a fairly common race length.

Must have been SOMETHING to see! :D Still seems kinda weird though . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Found out a while back that my folks had an Opel (how embarassing I told them, that they don't remember what model) that was a little station wagon. They're trying to find a picture for me.

But I mainly wanted to say 'wow!' what an artist your dad was! Your dad had a real gift. Love the lighting in the second drawing of the race. My husband is an artist and his grandfather was an artist and draftsman. We have three of his drawings that are real treasures. Can't wait to let my husband see these and my dad will have a fit over the race drawing. What a find you have there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Just a quick note:

Recurved forks should mean nothing to Velodrome riders as they're all completely nuts to begin with. ;) I was aware Opel made sewing machines and tractors, but was not aware of bicycles.
BTW, didn't a few of the sports car makers get their start making tractors and the like?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
lamborghini also used to make tractors (they still may im not sure) but I believe thats howthe cars got started they were orginally made in the tractor factory.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Second generation artist, too

ging said:
Found out a while back that my folks had an Opel (how embarassing I told them, that they don't remember what model) that was a little station wagon. They're trying to find a picture for me.

But I mainly wanted to say 'wow!' what an artist your dad was! Your dad had a real gift. Love the lighting in the second drawing of the race. My husband is an artist and his grandfather was an artist and draftsman. We have three of his drawings that are real treasures. Can't wait to let my husband see these and my dad will have a fit over the race drawing. What a find you have there.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm at least a second generation artist too, but, of course, I've known THAT for some time now. Many Bartsch family members were artistic as well going back in time. Started drawing at about four, have Fine Arts degree, etc., etc. ;)

Sure helps in "visualization" of fabrications for my Opels. Not to brag, but a good case in point, I knew the minute that I saw that 280Z angled air cleaner top in the junk yard that it was at the same angle as the GT heater box just by eyeballing it. Made fabrications for my GT's SSD installation a lot easier. Thanks, Dad.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sewing machines, then bicycles, then motorcars and finally GM

Scott McDonald said:
Just a quick note:

Recurved forks should mean nothing to Velodrome riders as they're all completely nuts to begin with. ;) I was aware Opel made sewing machines and tractors, but was not aware of bicycles.
BTW, didn't a few of the sports car makers get their start making tractors and the like?
In a nutshell and verified by the book, "OPEL, Wheels to the World" by Karl Ludvigsen and Paul Frère, Opel got started with sewing machines in 1864, switched over to far more profitable bicycles in 1887 and finally switched to include automobiles in 1899 along with their sewing machines and bicycles.

A point of note here, all five of the Opel sons, Karl, Wilhelm, Heinrich, Friedrich (Fritz) and Ludwig, were bicycle racing champions of their day.
 

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
my "General motors: the first 75 years" says the same thing about the brothers. has a little opel blurp about 2 pages long i read last night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Well, belive it or not, I'm a 4th generation Opeler, gota take a pic of the sewing machines... :D

Its more than that, its Genetic. :) :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top