Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This not a question-post, just something that might be of interest to some, as others propably know it.

My car has the Solex 32/32 DIDTA carb.

So far, if I wanted to set my idle with both proper vacuum and idle-speed, it was a bit difficult, as tuning a correct carb vacuum was giving me an idle speed of about 820rpm with the idle-air screw bottomed in. By doing hair-like adjustments I could get it done, but it was difficult.

I thought it was some vacuum leak that I couldn't locate. Maybe not!

Lately I had a suspicion that the secondary's flap was sticking a bit in the closed postition (I had slow reaction when opened). So I took the carb out today to take a look. Well it was not sticking at all, but I thought to gap it by the book since I was there... I gapped it to 0.002" with a feeler-gauge (wrong method as I later discovered, this got it opened much). Reinstalled the carb, warmed-up the engine, then tried to adjust idle-speed, cause it had got off. I was getting 1500rpm at proper vacuum (correct tuning impossible)! So that may have been the fault making it difficult to get both proper vacuum and idle-speed (an excessively opened secondary flap from the begining)! Well, it got dark so I left re-adjustment and sure assumptions for tommorow.

For the record, the secondary flap should be gapped using this method:
(Haynes manual, part propably taken from Opel Service manual)
Loosen the locknut, and turn the screw until the flap is completely closed, then open it again only by 3/4 of a turn, and while holding the screw in position, lock with the locknut.

I will do it again tomorrow and post any news (good or bad)!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today I tried to correct yesterday's maladjustments to the carb's secondary flap.

At first I set the flap by the manual (previous post). I was getting again a very high idle at proper vacuum. So I took the carb out again to see what's going on.
I found out that due to shaft wear, giving the correct gap at the edge of the flap would raise the entire shaft by just a bit, that was enough however to cause me "trouble". Then I adjusted it so the shaft doesn't raise at all, and this gave me a good seal without sticking, and correct setting became possible again, but nothing better in comparison to what I had started with! So I guess it was about correctly set from the beggining, relatively to the shaft's wear...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.