Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that on a GT the secondary is opened by a tab that rotates in a slot when the throttle is opened, with the tab eventually pushing down on the secondary linkage, and that the springs on the primary and secondary "throttle shafts" return them to the closed position when the throttle is released. On my carb, the tab is almost fully to one side, so that the tab doesn't rotate enough to open the secondary until the point where my foot on the throttle has been pushed through the firewall and into the engine compartment!

Is there any adjustment to move the tab more into the center of the slot, so that the secondary opens sooner? Or is there some other adjustment to open the secondary sooner?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
It's been a few years, so I went and found my old solex.
You could bend the tab or weld some extra material so that it contacts sooner. Or add
a small bolt and nut in the slide.
As I was looking at mine theres a ton of slop in the secondary linkage. Like there once
was some bushings thats completely gone now. IDK Maybe someone else will chime in with the answer.

PS I forgot about the acc. linkage adjustment. Remove the clip located on the gas pedal and turn it clockwise till its at the lower
limit.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know that the accel. linkage adjustment would do anything. Right now the primary opens up fine, but the secondary doesn't open until the linkage is WAY open. I'm thinking that the adjustment that you're referring to would just get it to WAY open sooner!

The small nut and bolt trick may work, if there's enough clearance. I'll check that out. Sure would be nice if there was some sort of adjustment to open the secondary sooner.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Sure would be nice if there was some sort of adjustment to open the secondary sooner.
I got rid of the slowlex years ago in favor of a non-progressive carb. Now I'm running a 38 without any problems. Ok maybe a few slight problems.
Next up is hopefully a custom fuel injection setup using port injection.
Who say's "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
First things, first . . .

It appears that on a GT the secondary is opened by a tab that rotates in a slot when the throttle is opened, with the tab eventually pushing down on the secondary linkage, and that the springs on the primary and secondary "throttle shafts" return them to the closed position when the throttle is released. On my carb, the tab is almost fully to one side, so that the tab doesn't rotate enough to open the secondary until the point where my foot on the throttle has been pushed through the firewall and into the engine compartment!

Is there any adjustment to move the tab more into the center of the slot, so that the secondary opens sooner? Or is there some other adjustment to open the secondary sooner?
. . . begs the question, "have you eliminated the accelerator pedal to carb linkage as the problem source?"
:pat:

Much more likely the source of mechanical secondary opening problem than Solex linkage, particularly the "pivot axis" grommets (two, extreme right in pic) in the firewall brackets! They're rubber, probably worn oblong with age and allow rotating shafts to wobble at that end of linkage . . . i.e. not rotate fully through designed pivot arc angle! I'd check that first!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Noticed the same problem 25 years ago with my GT. Fabricated a new tab that allowed sooner engagement of the secondaries. You need to be careful not to engage to soon or you will have secondaries opening at cruising speeds also. I eventually gave up and bought the Weber for better response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts