Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Only posting because you asked for input.

You will be hard pressed to get that money for a non running car with some paint issues. The chips in front of the hood look significant. They will be hard to touch up and make look good.

Don't get me wrong; I will be really happy for you if you get your ask. I believe it is a bit optimistic. Some on here may not be as diplomatic. I am guessing that is why you have no replies. They don't want to hurt your feelings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only posting because you asked for input.

You will be hard pressed to get that money for a non running car with some paint issues. The chips in front of the hood look significant. They will be hard to touch up and make look good.

Don't get me wrong; I will be really happy for you if you get your ask. I believe it is a bit optimistic. Some on here may not be as diplomatic. I am guessing that is why you have no replies. They don't want to hurt your feelings.
Thank you for that. I am clueless to what it is worth. I'm in no hurry to sell it, but I don't it want it to just sit. I would appreciate value opinions from anyone who would have that keen ability to lead me to a fair and honest price. Again, thank you.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,982 Posts
A running, driving car sells easier...and for more. It might be an easy or simple fix. In reading your ad, you said it made a 'clank clank' sound. To me that implies a higher pitch hollow metallic sound. I would have a look at the driveshaft/torque tube assembly and mounts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A running, driving car sells easier...and for more. It might be an easy or simple fix. In reading your ad, you said it made a 'clank clank' sound. To me that implies a higher pitch hollow metallic sound. I would have a look at the driveshaft/torque tube assembly and mounts.
Oh wow! Wouldn't that be funny, but a pleasant surprise. Thank you for that information. I will check that out.

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
I don't want to be "that guy" but even if it ran, it's a $3500 car at best. The paint needs redone. The right front fender well needs some attention.

It's a good starter car but way too far away from $7500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want to be "that guy" but even if it ran, it's a $3500 car at best. The paint needs redone. The right front fender well needs some attention.

It's a good starter car but way too far away from $7500.
Disappointing, but not surprising. So maybe like $2,500 as is? ..at best?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to the ones who have given me your thoughts and opinions. I now feel that "letting it sit" is not such a bad thing after all. Maybe in 50 years my grandson will list it back on here as a "great barn find" and will then get my asking price.
But seriously, thank you guys for your input.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,534 Posts
I couldn't get either of your 2 links to YouTube to work. Is the head currently off the engine? So, there's no way to start and run the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't get either of your 2 links to YouTube to work. Is the head currently off the engine? So, there's no way to start and run the car?
No. After I heard the terrible "clanking" I only started the car back up a few times, but the sound was such that I would turn it off almost immediately. It my haste I thought for sure if I removed the head it would reveal the problem, but other than a very small chip on the #2 piston everything looked good. When the clank happened I drove the car about a block and it didn't appear to lack any power or any smoke coming from engine or exhaust. One above post mentioned "drive shaft", but if car is in neutral, does the drive shaft continue to turn? The noise was continual wether in gear or in neutral.
Thank you for you thoughts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,982 Posts
If it does it neutral and not moving, then no, not driveshaft.

Reactions: Tygerhmann
1 - 12 of 12 Posts