Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:( Sad to say but I am selling one of my GTs. It's a 72. Of course, it's the nicest one I have, the only one worth anything much. I am not rich and didn't have much money saved for college expenses for my daughter. After she decided she wasn't going to go to college, I spent what little I had saved and now she has changed her mind and decided she does want to go, for which I am extremely happy about but am short on the finances. After stripping a few of the GTs and scrapping them, I can really appreciate the condition the one I am selling is in. It is not rusted at all and in pretty good shape, no BS. Just thought I'd give a heads up if anyone reading this is looking for a really good, fairly cheap (IMHO) GT. I know the prices are down on GTs now but what I am asking is reasonable to me and I have a back-up buyer in case I can't get the cash in it, back out of it. My back-up buyer will take it off my hands if need be, but it would be another expensive toy to him. Not to say that he wouldn't appreciate the car, as it is a nice car, but he hadn't planned on another car and even though I hate to see it go, I would rather sell it to someone else than impose, but, my price is firm. The add is in the classifieds with pics.

·
Opel-ing since '74
1,141 Posts
Jim:
Don't sell it ! Just pull an All-Opel version of "The Italian Job"
to finance the education ;)
Rick

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
Jim,
You'll do ANYTHING not to host our next get together!

Hope your sale goes well.

Good luck to your daughter & Happy Holidays!

Marc

:D

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
hosting

I am not leaving Opels, just selling this one. I went a little overboard when I jumped back into the GTs. By spring or early summer I will have another one up and running. I have everything I need for 2 more besides the one I'm trying to sell. They are not worth much now as they are in parts, waiting for me to get finished disassembling scrappers and started reassembling keepers. Lots of work to do! BTW hosting a meet is cool still, I think it would have to be at a local park, but definitly doable. At that meeting, you will see the GT that I put together, hopefully!

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Jim;

Sorry to hear you selling the 72. It is really nice. I'd like to see the next restoration project in the spring. I'm up for another get-together in the spring. I promise I will bring my 72 this time. I will flatbed it if I have to:)

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Selling my GT

Well, a fellow from NY came over today and gave "Emmy" (ex-owner's Kristi's name for the GT) a good looking over. He brought a tool from Snap-On that checks metal thickness and also detects bondo , he went over the whole car top to bottom and inside out. I told him it was one clean GT and Snap-On proved it, I guess. He's coming back tomorrow with his wife for another look. This guy is into foreign sports cars and I do believe if he buys it, it will be well taken care of for a long time. Now it's starting to sink in that my new "Baby" will be moving on. :( Thank God it isn't my only GT. Now I'll really have to get moving on getting that Texas GT together in time for spring. I've been so busy parting and destroying the scrappers that starting to rebuild a GT will be a real pleasure! :D

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Selling my GT

They came, they saw, they drove, they left. He said he would call. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Am I emotionaly attached to this GT? :confused: I bought it in July and only had it home since mid September, haven't even drove it 2,000 miles yet. I thought I'd get more attached to one I put together myself. It's strange I felt kinda sad when I thought he would buy it, then kinda upset when he didn't- like " you didn't like it? :mad: ", plus a sincere relief too. Strange huh?

Whut up wit dat? :)

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Selling my GT

Well well well, guess what! He called just a little bit ago. He didn't low ball me really. I was asking $4300 he offered $4000, we split the difference. Now I know, I'm definitely sad to see her go but at least this guy gives me a good feeling that this GT will be around for a long time to come. That means a lot to me.
I was afraid somebody like my other daughter would get the GT. My other daughter is a great kid, don't get me wrong there, but she is becoming a car destroyer! It doesn't take long before her cars have so many dents and such, they look like she drove them through a demolition derby. Those danged poles and concrete dividers and other immovable objects just seem to jump out at her,(actually, someone rear ended her on one of those dents) Not really bad accidents or injuries or even other cars involved, but a whole lot of dents seem to accumulate on her cars. Well, practice makes perfect. In other words, she's darn near perfect at placing dents on her car where there wasn't one before. I'm glad she doesn't read these posts or I'd get an earfull from her, and from my wife too! :D Well, what they don't know....

·
Driver
987 Posts
Congrats on your sale. Sorry it came to that.:(

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Jim, sorry to hear that too. If I was only richer!:( .Well, tell the guy about this site and maybe we can hear how much he appreciates the little beauty (or his wife).

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Selling my GT

I told him but he had already became a member. He saw the listing here on the classifieds. His name is Gary Panarotto. He has signed up using his name like I did. He is picking the GT up Tuesday, I imagine we'll here from him sometime or another. This is his first GT, I told him whatever he needs he can pretty much find it here through the links or members. I hope to stay in touch with him through this site and hopefully some club meets.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jim, I think "Goodbye" is too harsh a word in your circumstance. The new owner, I believe lives in your vecinity, and wants to give the car the TLC it deserves. So the phrase "See You Later" would be more appropriate.;)

Ron

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
And thanks for the photo, Jim. It shows someone who knows the correct way to pick up a car and not trying to put a nasty, not made to fit tow bar on her. That's TLC in my book.
Barry
PS: It's nice to see a small slice of my home state. Makes me want to visit my mom & brothers. Alas, not enough cash yet :( .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts