Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My beloved Father passed away years ago and I'm trying to sell his old GT Opel for my Mother. However, I can only sell the
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive exterior Fender Hood
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive exterior Automotive parking light Hood
Automotive engine part Hood Luxury vehicle Engine Classic car
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive exterior Property Fender
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Transport Steering part Steering wheel
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive exterior Bumper Engine
Body & Parts, because I don't have any papers/title.

I have no clue what the year and model is. I took pictures and was wondering if you folks in this wonderful forum can help me figure out some of this information and how much I can possibly get for selling this item, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

·
Über Genius
9,529 Posts
There are a lot of things to consider for year and condition.
How long has it been in Storage?
I didn't see the mileage but I'm guessing @65K-75K
Do the side windows pop out or are they fixed?
Where are you located? Maybe someone can swing by.
Are the interior parts still around? Is the dash cracked (It probably is but how bad?)
When was the last time it ran?
Has it been in storage for the entire time it was off the road?

Reactions: Kawaiislandgirl

·
Opeler
1,321 Posts
My beloved Father passed away years ago and I'm trying to sell his old GT Opel for my Mother. However, I can only sell the View attachment 432080 View attachment 432081 View attachment 432082 View attachment 432083 View attachment 432084 View attachment 432085 Body & Parts, because I don't have any papers/title.

I have no clue what the year and model is. I took pictures and was wondering if you folks in this wonderful forum can help me figure out some of this information and how much I can possibly get for selling this item, I'd greatly appreciate the help.
Hello,

Im sorry for your loss. Can you share where the vehicle is located? That will potentially help you with a buyer, at least from this site. We can direct you to a few places on the car to look at some numbers that should help you/us identify the year of the vehicle. It appears to be in primer, was it in process of a restoration?

All the best

Eric

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Im sorry for your loss. Can you share where the vehicle is located? That will potentially help you with a buyer, at least from this site. We can direct you to a few places on the car to look at some numbers that should help you/us identify the year of the vehicle. It appears to be in primer, was it in process of a restoration?

All the best

Eric
Thank you Eric! I'm in Torrance/Carson, CA.

Yes. My Father had hopes for restoring it when he retired but unfortunately passed away before he retired or could work on the car.

·
Über Genius
9,529 Posts
Since you are in California, the car probably has more value than if in a Northern or North-eastern state.
Undoubtedly, you will be contacted by a guy named Todd.
If your dad cared about the car, and you wish to see this car survive (as it appears it could and should) avoid selling to Todd at all costs.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Sincere condolences on the passing of your Dad. I'm in agreement with what others here have already advised. Looking at the oversized but limited amount of pictures, it appears that the GT is in a very nice condition; worthy of being restored by somebody who will love it like your Dad once intended.

She's worthy of being pulled out of the garage, cleaned up and extensive photos taken inside, outside and underneath. Only then can you and this GT audience here get a good idea as to what year GT this is, as well as a general appreciation as to it's value.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Can you get a reissued title? The car could be a restoration candidate, but not without a clear title.
I purchased a GT buying it under a lean sale, all the California DMV cares about I’d collecting the fees due. The fees on that 70’ GT were $250, that expense was mine (the buyer). The process is easy and I think free to get going, that was my experience 25 years ago before we had internet. It’s probably easier now.

·
Über Genius
9,529 Posts
Was the car ever in your fathers name? If so then you should just need a bill of sale from your mother and a copy of the death certificate to get a title.

Reactions: Kawaiislandgirl

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are the interior parts still around? Is the dash cracked (It probably is but how bad?)
Thank you for your response!!
  • I spoke to my Mom and she believes the car has been in storage for 20-30 years.
  • Mileage is quite a bit higher than you thought, odometer reading of 91,375.2? I was confused by the last number in red. lol
  • The dash looks like its intact. The windows are fixed.
  • The interior looks pretty bare bones. There's some random stuff inside the car but may not belong to the car at all. My Father was a pack rat.
  • My Mom thinks it was running when my Father purchased it about 20-30 years ago but I don't think its been run since way back then.
Thank you so much for your help! Happy New Years!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could try Opel GT Swap Meet on FB people are asking for thousands of dollars for GT’s not nearly as well kept as your dads. My sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss

Thank you so much for this tip! I'll look into it! Happy New Years!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was the car ever in your fathers name? If so then you should just need a bill of sale from your mother and a copy of the death certificate to get a title.
Thank you for your reply! No, I don't believe so. My Mom believes the car was gifted to my Father by a friend. She has tried to look for any type of paperwork regarding the car but cannot find a single thing. I appreciate the tip though. Happy New Years!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you get a reissued title? The car could be a restoration candidate, but not without a clear title.
Thank you for the response. The title issue is a huge problem for me because both the seller and receiver have passed and I have absolutely no papers on the car so would selling for parts be my best option for the car? My Mom is also eager to have it removed from the garage because she's about to begin home renovations and need the space for other things. I'd like to honor my Father by getting this car to a respectful buyer but I'm also pressured to get it moved asap. Please advise. Thank you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for your response. No. I don't believe it ever was and I have absolutely no papers on the car and both the seller and receiver (my Father, it was gifted to him) have passed so I'm not sure that I'd be able to obtain a title.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the response. The title issue is a huge problem for me because both the seller and receiver have passed and I have absolutely no papers on the car so would selling for parts be my best option for the car? My Mom is also eager to have it removed from the garage because she's about to begin home renovations and need the space for other things. I'd like to honor my Father by getting this car to a respectful buyer but I'm also pressured to get it moved asap. Please advise. Thank you!

·
UngerDog
1,332 Posts
I would start with the vin number which can be found on a metal plate riveted to the passenger side rear corner of the engine bay. There also should be a riveted metal strip on on the dash pad near the drivers windshield. There may also be a sticker inside the driver's door jamb. Hopefully, each vin number will be identical. With the vin number and/or any license plate number, call California DMV and explain your situation. Ask them if you can get a title in your name or your mom's name. You will most likely have to fill out a form called STATEMENT OF FACTS ... https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/06/reg256-1.pdf
I would expect you would be able to have a title in hand within a few weeks. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would start with the vin number which can be found on a metal plate riveted to the passenger side rear corner of the engine bay. There also should be a riveted metal strip on on the dash pad near the drivers windshield. There may also be a sticker inside the driver's door jamb. Hopefully, each vin number will be identical. With the vin number and/or any license plate number, call California DMV and explain your situation. Ask them if you can get a title in your name or your mom's name. You will most likely have to fill out a form called STATEMENT OF FACTS ... https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/06/reg256-1.pdf
I would expect you would be able to have a title in hand within a few weeks. Good luck and let us know how things work out.
Thank you so much! I'll go look for the vin and get started. I don't believe there was a sticker in the door jamb. But yes, I do have a license plate number w stickers for Oct 87.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts