Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
UngerDog
1,304 Posts
It may actually take the first 7 vin numbers to determine the year of your dad's GT. You might be able to find the year info about the GT by using this free vin/license plate lookup site ... California License Plate Lookup | Free Vehicle History | VinCheck.info . But, I would doubt finding that information online since it hasn't been registered in over 30 years. And, don't expect DMV to have any info on the vehicle either. I heard that after 7 years of no vehicle updates, they take the vehicle off their books.

·
Vendor
2,772 Posts
Thank you so much! I'll go look for the vin and get started. I don't believe there was a sticker in the door jamb. But yes, I do have a license plate number w stickers for Oct 87.
Under the hood on the passenger side of the firewall (next to that grill-like thing) you should find a data plate that looks like the one in the photo below. The box labeled "nr/no" should show the VIN.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Under the hood on the passenger side of the firewall (next to that grill-like thing) you should find a data plate that looks like the one in the photo below. The box labeled "nr/no" should show the VIN. View attachment 432108
Thank you for the picture and description. It helped out greatly as I wasn't sure if the number I located was the VIN.

First 7 numbers of VIN: 7726878

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It may actually take the first 7 vin numbers to determine the year of your dad's GT. You might be able to find the year info about the GT by using this free vin/license plate lookup site ... California License Plate Lookup | Free Vehicle History | VinCheck.info . But, I would doubt finding that information online since it hasn't been registered in over 30 years. And, don't expect DMV to have any info on the vehicle either. I heard that after 7 years of no vehicle updates, they take the vehicle off their books.
Thank you for the tip. I tried to type in the license plate but as you figured, it wasn't able to bring up any record. Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,241 Posts
Model 77 (first 2 digits) was for a US spec GT from '71-'73. The first serial number for each type of GT for every year has been documented already. Your Dad's GT has a serial number that would have happened in 1972.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Model 77 (first 2 digits) was for a US spec GT from '71-'73. The first serial number for each type of GT for every year has been documented already. Your Dad's GT has a serial number that would have happened in 1972.
Thank you so much for your quick reply and this important info! 🙂

·
UngerDog
1,304 Posts
I would agree that it's a model GT from 1972. It has a 1.9 liter 4 cylinder engine with an automatic transmission. I was leaning towards a '73 because of the lack of holes for the back up light on the rear panel, but who knows if that panel is the original or not or that the holes where filled because the car was rear ended. The vin number is the most important thing. The 1972 vins begin with 77-2560567, the 73s start with OYO7NC-2944586.

A few things to consider when trying to put a value on it. Is it fairly straight and rust free? Are the front and rear bumpers good? Does it crank, start, and move? I know you can't answer some of these. And, the big question is whether you really want to sell it. Is there sentimental value? Is it worth selling and getting $1,000 - $3,000 or keeping your dad's car and fixing it?

You need one of those TV shows that will restore your car for free. And, you have an interesting back story. I and probably everyone on this site would watch another episode of Garage Squad ... Submission Form

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I would agree that it's a model GT from 1972. It has a 1.9 liter 4 cylinder engine with an automatic transmission. I was leaning towards a '73 because of the lack of holes for the back up light on the rear panel, but who knows if that panel is the original or not or that the holes where filled because the car was rear ended. The vin number is the most important thing. The 1972 vins begin with 77-2560567, the 73s start with OYO7NC-2944586.

A few things to consider when trying to put a value on it. Is it fairly straight and rust free? Are the front and rear bumpers good? Does it crank, start, and move? I know you can't answer some of these. And, the big question is whether you really want to sell it. Is there sentimental value? Is it worth selling and getting $1,000 - $3,000 or keeping your dad's car and fixing it?

You need one of those TV shows that will restore your car for free. And, you have an interesting back story. I and probably everyone on this site would watch another episode of Garage Squad ... Submission Form
Thank you for all your help and expertise! I appreciate the valuable information you've provided.

As previously suggested, I'm going to pull out out of the garage and take better pictures of the body so you can properly evaluate. I'll try my best with pictures of the under carriage. I'll try to get answers to your questions soon.

In regards to keeping the car and fixing it up. If I had the money to fix it up, I'd love to keep it and restore it for my Father but given that my Mother is now retired and she really needs funds for home renovations. The suggestion of finding a TV show like Garage Squad to restore the car for free is awesome but honestly, I'd really be happy if the car just went to a buyer that will give it the TLC it needs to get it restored and back out on the road. No one in my family will be able to appreciate, care for, or love the Opel the way my Father would have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hello,

Im sorry for your loss. Can you share where the vehicle is located? That will potentially help you with a buyer, at least from this site. We can direct you to a few places on the car to look at some numbers that should help you/us identify the year of the vehicle. It appears to be in primer, was it in process of a restoration?

All the best

Eric

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi Eric!

Thank you! I wasn't sure if I already posted it before but the car is located in Torrance/Carson, CA. Yes. My Father was in the process of restoring it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sincere condolences on the passing of your Dad. I'm in agreement with what others here have already advised. Looking at the oversized but limited amount of pictures, it appears that the GT is in a very nice condition; worthy of being restored by somebody who will love it like your Dad once intended.

She's worthy of being pulled out of the garage, cleaned up and extensive photos taken inside, outside and underneath. Only then can you and this GT audience here get a good idea as to what year GT this is, as well as a general appreciation as to it's value.
Hi Mike! Thank you for your response. I spent many hours cleaning up the GT and I wanted to provide you gents with these photos for review. If you prefer daytime photos, I can take more tomorrow morning. I ran out of time today. Please take a look at let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
It looks like it got in a fender bender, obviously the right rear jumps out at you. I had three big dents on my GT that required bondo (that’s the patching compound commonly used) you’d never know. That dent just needs to be reworked, assuming that’s surface rust seen in the picture. It looks solid aside from that from what I can see.

If you can get pictures underneath the vehicle under the two doors along with a good picture of the battery compartment in front of the radiator it would help get us a better idea, those are the most venerable areas prone to rust and corrosion. Also if you can get a camera shot at the patch job from inside the car (access where the hole is for the light) that would help too. Some more interior pictures in the better light wouldn’t hurt but not as important IMHO.

There’s a few guys on the forum that do restoration for a living and have a much keener eye than I do.
I’d encourage adding the above mentioned pictures if it’s still possible. Advertise on Facebook too! Good pics so far! If you keep with it, with your ability to follow things up & perseverance you will most assuredly sell the car sooner rather than later. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anyone else on this forum follow up as diligently as you have, certainly meant as a compliment, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The passenger side rear quarter, to the rear of the back tail on that same side, shows what looks like bondo work that did not get primer. The rear trim strip interface seems to have had the holes for the trim strip attaching clips filled in. That rear tail on the GT's were some kind of magnet for attracting parking dings and dents; my own 73 has a few battle scars of her own to prove it (and she was an original, long time southern California GT)........

Take some picks of the top of the GT's dashboard. If it is crack free, you can add another 500 or some odd more dollars to the value of the car. These dashes developed cracks over the decades. Some are cracked to the point of crumbling into chunks.

There are 4 jack points on the chassis, where rust and rot like to settle in on GT's that lived their lives in 4 season environments that had a lot of ice melt applied to it's roadways. Try to photograph those areas. The more pics you have of this GT, the more anyone truly interested in a GT rebuild will take notice.

The front nose section forward of the radiator; where the battery sits, requires some pics as well as this is an area that would experience rot from battery acid and/or plain old rust and corrosion. The thing with cars in primer like this is that no one is sure of what is underneath that primer. The driver side rear wheel arch lip shows questionable repair or work done to it.

100% in agreement with what The Cub has written. Also, it'd be great if Charles Goin, who is very knowledgeable of GT values, would spot this thread and chime in. You've got this site to advertise the GT in, as well as the two Opel-specific facebook sites, one called Opel GT Swap Meet Facebook and the other Opel CIH Marketplace Facebook to list the car in, as well as Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It looks like it got in a fender bender, obviously the right rear jumps out at you. I had three big dents on my GT that required bondo (that’s the patching compound commonly used) you’d never know. That dent just needs to be reworked, assuming that’s surface rust seen in the picture. It looks solid aside from that from what I can see.

If you can get pictures underneath the vehicle under the two doors along with a good picture of the battery compartment in front of the radiator it would help get us a better idea, those are the most venerable areas prone to rust and corrosion. Also if you can get a camera shot at the patch job from inside the car (access where the hole is for the light) that would help too. Some more interior pictures in the better light wouldn’t hurt but not as important IMHO.

There’s a few guys on the forum that do restoration for a living and have a much keener eye than I do.
I’d encourage adding the above mentioned pictures if it’s still possible. Advertise on Facebook too! Good pics so far! If you keep with it, with your ability to follow things up & perseverance you will most assuredly sell the car sooner rather than later. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anyone else on this forum follow up as diligently as you have, certainly meant as a compliment, keep up the good work!
Hello Cub!

Here are some of the photos you asked for.

Battery area
20210109_115326.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
There are a lot of things to consider for year and condition.
How long has it been in Storage?
I didn't see the mileage but I'm guessing @65K-75K
Do the side windows pop out or are they fixed?
Where are you located? Maybe someone can swing by.
Are the interior parts still around? Is the dash cracked (It probably is but how bad?)
When was the last time it ran?
Has it been in storage for the entire time it was off the road?
I discovered the car doesn't crank up. There are a bunch of random small parts but lots of the interior is missing. The dash looks good.

Do you gents still think 2-3k is a reasonable selling price?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The passenger side rear quarter, to the rear of the back tail on that same side, shows what looks like bondo work that did not get primer. The rear trim strip interface seems to have had the holes for the trim strip attaching clips filled in. That rear tail on the GT's were some kind of magnet for attracting parking dings and dents; my own 73 has a few battle scars of her own to prove it (and she was an original, long time southern California GT)........

Take some picks of the top of the GT's dashboard. If it is crack free, you can add another 500 or some odd more dollars to the value of the car. These dashes developed cracks over the decades. Some are cracked to the point of crumbling into chunks.

There are 4 jack points on the chassis, where rust and rot like to settle in on GT's that lived their lives in 4 season environments that had a lot of ice melt applied to it's roadways. Try to photograph those areas. The more pics you have of this GT, the more anyone truly interested in a GT rebuild will take notice.

The front nose section forward of the radiator; where the battery sits, requires some pics as well as this is an area that would experience rot from battery acid and/or plain old rust and corrosion. The thing with cars in primer like this is that no one is sure of what is underneath that primer. The driver side rear wheel arch lip shows questionable repair or work done to it.

100% in agreement with what The Cub has written. Also, it'd be great if Charles Goin, who is very knowledgeable of GT values, would spot this thread and chime in. You've got this site to advertise the GT in, as well as the two Opel-specific facebook sites, one called Opel GT Swap Meet Facebook and the other Opel CIH Marketplace Facebook to list the car in, as well as Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.
Hi Mike!
After googling chassis (lol), I think I took the correct pictures for you of the 4 jack points and I've also included the dash and
20210109_132958.jpg
20210109_133045.jpg
20210109_133108.jpg
20210109_133131.jpg
20210109_131050.jpg
20210109_131055.jpg
front battery area. Please let me know what you
20210109_114838.jpg
think. Thank you for all your help!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts