Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
I think 270 HP in a GT could surprise a lot of people!! DAMMIT!!! I wish I had $5000 lying around I didnt need.

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot, forget a GT, throw that thing in a Sportwagon like mine and start blowin' the doors off these ricers!!!!! :D YYYEEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAWWWW

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been said, and this is just rumor, that he blows the doors off 5.0 Mustangs, but, that is just a rumor. But, take in to consideration that the GT is far lighter than the Mustang, the power-to-weight ratio with that 2.4 DOHC motor (which is actually a full race motor) would definitely give the GT an edge.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Is that the same 2.4 motor that GM is going to be putting in the Saturn Sky? I have been trying to find out but I can not find a connection between the two??

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
afraid not thats the engine out of a manta /ascona 400 (based on the CIH)
the saturn will use an ecotec or some such newer engine

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Soooo, It does not look like the new 2.4 motors that are going into the Saturn Sky will mount up (quickly - without making cut) with the GT or other Opel cars. correct?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
wrong they go on to the manta 1.8 box (getrags) :D there are lots of pics of them in gts in the gallery

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
BQS4 said:
It has been said, and this is just rumor, that he blows the doors off 5.0 Mustangs, but, that is just a rumor. But, take in to consideration that the GT is far lighter than the Mustang, the power-to-weight ratio with that 2.4 DOHC motor (which is actually a full race motor) would definitely give the GT an edge.
My Manta can blow the doors of 5.0 Mustangs... so I am not impressed ;)

What I did find impressive, is I heard he has blown the doors off more than a few Porsches and Ferraris...

Charles

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
baz said:
wrong they go on to the manta 1.8 box (getrags) :D there are lots of pics of them in gts in the gallery
Great!! That means that we could go down to the local GM dealership and order (pickup) the motor instead of getting them shipped from CA or across the pond.

Yes/No :confused: ?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i dont know rick im all ready across the pond :D
but you can get them in caddys and other cars in the states its just the gearbox you need from europe as we still have rear wheel drive cars with that engine

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks for the info baz. What Caddys? ( I should know but it escapes me right now - Brain Fry on a Friday I thing)?

Baz I hope you are doing well? Have a pint on me!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I thought that was pretty much what Gil had in his GT(??) Doesn't he have some rare (read: expensive) Opel rally motor? 220hp at the wheels or something....

I couldn't stop droolin' at the site of that 400 Ascona motor tho'.....man...

WOW...the bidding started at $1.

damn europeans get all the good stuff!! :mad:

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
nice engine, one question

Thom71GT said:
I think 270 HP in a GT could surprise a lot of people!! DAMMIT!!! I wish I had $5000 lying around I didnt need.
is the 5,000 for the engine or the gas?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This is what babelfish says about the add.

Because of task of hobby!!!!!!

Here it concerns a 400er phase 3 engine with capacity extension!!!

The engine was in order/developed in the year 2000 with the following parts:

1. Steel crankshaft (special production)

2. Steel piston rod

3. Forging piston

4. Cam shafts

5. Larger intake valves

6. Larger exhaust valves

7. Strengthened valve springs

8. Straight sucking in bridges

9. Steel flywheel with 6-Punktkupplung

10. Oil pan with Schwabbelblech

11. Adjustable kettenspanner

The capacity of the engine increased by the change to 2550 ccm. The engine was brought in and co-ordinated with 48er weber carburetors and a 9-teiligen phase 3 fan elbow union on an engine test stand. It has 270 HP (39 mkg) with 7200 U/min. The engine was not inserted and was driven yet, thus 0 km (NEW). The engine since 2000 on my engine support stand and regularly revved up (everything perfectly).

There it around a private auction does not act here takes over I warranty or a guarantee. With the delivery of a requirement a legal contract comes off. After the terminated auction 50% of the obtained purchase price are to be transferred, the remaining purchase price are during the collection of the engine in bar to be paid. The collection of the engine must take place within 10 days. No Nachverhandeln, Inzahlungsnahme, exchange or like. Those with these conditions are not understood, would like I to ask distance from offering to take.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
benncojr said:
Soooo, It does not look like the new 2.4 motors that are going into the Saturn Sky will mount up (quickly - without making cut) with the GT or other Opel cars. correct?
The Sky, I'm pretty sure, shares basic chassis with the Solstice due out later this year by Pontiac, the Kappa platform. They are the only cars here in the US so far that will use the Ecotec motor in a RWD configuration. You could possibly get the Catera tranny to work, but since it's a Caddy they only came with automatics and v-6's, so you would need at least the Omega bell-housing for a 4-cyl automatic.

That said, though, you *should* be able to buy the manual trannys new from the dealership any time now. I honestly don't know which would cost you less, shipping one in from Europe or buying one at the stealership.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
I've taken a ride in Gils GT and yes its a fast sucker

to bad we could go in together and buy that motor then have the heads reproduceded

davegt27

1 - 20 of 24 Posts