Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two identical hose's that are all chewed off...they appear to be coming out of my Alternator? you can only see one in this pic but the one you can't see is coming from the same direction and its right under the one you can see ... im going to change all my fluids and use some atf to lubricate the cylinder walls then turn my motor by hand (should I just put it in 4th and push it?)put in a new battery and hopefully get my GT running by the end of the week can anyone tell what this hose is

:confused:

Thanks all,
RMO

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
ahhhh i see now....i believe those would be the fuel lines. one hose will go from the fuel pump to the tank, and the other from the pump to the carb, dont mix them up or you'll just end up pumping fuel in the opposite direction and not get any fuel to the carb.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
confused, because it looks like you still have one fuel line hooked up and you said both hoses were broke

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted in the fuel system Technical forum by accident so I'm really not sure what these severed hoses are from but you can see the other one a little here they are circled... yeah the one that goes into the carb defiantly is still intact so I'm guessing that its just the two sections of the fuel line that goes from the pump to the tank... looks like i need to replace that how odd it almost looks like it was chewed it apart with something this is weird I'm glad I saw this befor I filled the tank

·
Super Moderator
5,877 Posts
I would guess that you have an electric fuel pump at the back of the car, and the hose you see is the hose from the old mechanical pump that the PO just left in place in lieu of a block-out plate. Climb under and look to see is the old plump us still there.

·
Opeler
36 Posts
I thought you needed steel lines for an electric fuel pump? My guess is that it goes to that charcoal canister. Now I can't be certain, as my 69 gt doesnt have one at all, but on my 72, it's in the belly pan, centered with the radiator.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Just under your alternator is where a stock fuel pump would be. If you tug on those hoses you will probably feel that they are attached pretty close to where they are. If you look down the round tube section of the timing cover under your distributor you can see the fuel pump if you look in front of your alternator. From that filter you will have one line to the carburetor and one to the tank it looks like. You probably do have an elecric pump somewhere in that line, it could be on either side of the filter. Passenger side around the air cleaner inlet is a likely spot to look for one. Steel lines are not needed for carbureted engines like they are for the higher pressure of an injected system. With the key in run position you should hear the pump. Stock fuel pumps had an internal strainer that was hard to clean so an electric is very likely. Most people didn't have access to an oem part but electric is on the shelves everywhere. One word of caution if it is Electric, check your output pressure to the carb. They have a tendency to over run the valve in the float bowl.

·
2,054 Posts
Those Open Fuel Lines

Better check what Nobody is telling you. I think he's right that those fuel lines go to the original mechanical fuel pump. And you've got an after-market electric pump installed somewhere.

And if this is so, you have two open fuel lines from this old original pump. This pump is driven from the bottom of the distributor shaft, so its still trying to pump away.

These mechanical pumps used a rubber-like diaphragm as a pump, and eventually the diaphragm tears apart (figure that diaphragm gets flexed 1/4 or 1/8 the times your engine rpm.

If it tears a hole, and I don't know this for sure, but won't your oil just drain right out from the crankcase through those open fuel lines?

Short term fix is too put on a new fuel line that runs from the outlet of the old pump and loop it around to the inlet of the pump. If the diaphragh tears, the oil won't drain out.

Long term fix is to remove the old mechanical pump altogether, and bolt a plate (blank) into place. Opel GT Source sells these blanks for a low price.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
If that is to the old pump take a piece of any flat metal 1/4 inch thick or so. What you need is a piece 1 1/4 x 2 3/4. drill 2 3/8 holes 2 inches apart and centered in that piece. Cut a gasket or just silicone it. Then you can save your money for that weber or whatever else you are going to need. But do at least get a catalog from Gill at OGTS, the picture on the front will help to inspire you. If it is an old pump, your just removing dead parts and plugging the hole.

Start small and dream big

1 - 9 of 9 Posts