Senior Contributor
1,536 Posts
Split Bumper

Is this one of thoses rare Front Split Bumper Opel GT's that I heard about?:p

·
GTer
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought you had gotten that off the net somewhere, is that your car in the picture?
Fortunately it's not my car. This car is for sale at the moment on a Dutch side (a kind of EBay). It's a shame though, despite of a few dents :lmao: the car looks great.

·
Opeler
175 Posts
OUCH!

Looks salvageble tho, just have to find a new front end...... And no need to buy new yellow marker lights, they look completely untouched!

In fact, it looks pretty healthy, except for that... hrm... part in the middle... ahem.

Bondo and a bucket of paint and she´ll be like new!

:D

·
Manta Owner
260 Posts
Ouch!!

That gotta hurt... I did the same thing with a '72 Chevy half ton. :banghead: Looked about the same way. I drove it away from the tree.

·
Opeler
175 Posts
One interesting question comes to mind when looking at that car.

I wonder how fast he was going when he hit the tree or whatever it was. I have always been a bit concerned about the crash safety of my car (it IS pretty old after all) and it would be nice to know if that was a 40, or 4 miles per hour impact... :eek:

Stefan

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Can they be mated?

Here is one that got it the other way! A kid ran into the back of it and did not have insurance to pay to have it fixed. It may be for sale or has already went to the AK boneyard.

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts

I wonder how fast he was going when he hit the tree or whatever it was. I have always been a bit concerned about the crash safety of my car (it IS pretty old after all) and it would be nice to know if that was a 40, or 4 miles per hour impact... :eek:

Stefan
From past experince with a motorcycle in a head on (only because he could not see my GT due to parked cars in the school parking lot and the fact he entered into a oneway zone the wrong way), I would say closer to 45 or 50 mph, I have been in a few accidents with bigger cars in a GT and they hold up in impacts. The picture of the GT above was hit in the rear by a car going about 55mph while the GT was stopped at a red light, the kid had been drinking.
I have heard of other Opels, such as the Manta in some really bad accidents and they walked away.(OTTO's son for one) Also new of a long time Opeller that rolled his GT 8 times doing 70 mph as he told me and because he had his seat belt on he walked a way.
It is the UNI-BODY construction that gives them crush zones. Now that does't mean you go out and hit a 18 wheeler just for fun, some of it it just plan luck.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Do I have permission to cry? LOL

·
Registered
382 Posts

Stefan
Judging from the force exerted on the bumper I would say that car was not going slow, it looks like it hit a lighting pole fromthe nice impression it left.

I know they will take a side impact of up to 50 mph, against a telephone pole pushing the passenger door all the way to the console and structure absorbed most of the impact due to no frame they crumple well.
Another one left the ground at 80 or so crossed paths with a cement culvert removing the passenger side tire and bending the front suspension sub frame into a unique design up into the body when it landed . Theres not much to repair in over 50 mph wrecks but having no frame they crumple like newer compact cars good for the driver but not good for the car. No I was not the driver in those 2 cars, I bought them years ago from the drivers with their stories of misfortune for parts

·
UngerDog
1,290 Posts
I've had 2 GT's totaled. My first GT got a good butt kicking like the AK GT. It's been over a year since I was involved in a nearly head on collision that I luckily walked away from. I think I had angels protecting me. I'm reluctant to post the picture.
Jerry

Oh well, you can look. I'll close my eyes.

OpelGTby JU 003.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
I've had 2 GT's totaled. My first GT got a good butt kicking like the AK GT. It's been over a year since I was involved in a nearly head on collision that I luckily walked away from. I think I had angels protecting me. I'm reluctant to post the picture.
Jerry

Oh well, you can look. I'll close my eyes.

View attachment 16419
MAN!!! Even broke the front wheel! Reminds me of when my Dad was T-boned in his Sportwagon, the front end was pushed so far out of place it snapped the sprint manifold in half. The impact forced my Dad's shoulder so hard against the driver's door, that he dented the door from the inside out and luckly the window was rolled down and he smashed it too when he bent the door.

·
1,874 Posts
Is it true what they say about RED sports cars!!
I think that first picture was someone's attempt to turn a 1970 into a 1968 with a "split front bumper!" It sure looked like a nice GT before the ding!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts