Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Quite some time ago somebody had the idea that electric Opel GTs were a good idea. They looked at it and decided it had to have a low coieficient of drag. My personal opinion is they were smokin something. I myself have dealt with 2 of them. The first a little yellow one around 1978 or 79. It had been butchered to death. It was a very clean straight car and was destroyed and left in a salvage yard. I used it for parts, that's all that was left in 6 or 7 years. The second was a white 72 that someone had started to do this to it. I bought it after they gave up in the middle. Luckily nothing had been cut or altered yet. I paid 300 for a car that would have been worth around 2000 if left alone. I put it back together and drove it for years. The one on Ebay looks very nice and would normally sell for at least 3 or 4 k. Now it won't, somebody has the opportunity to put a motor in it I hope and have a nice GT for around 2000 dollars. Otherwise it will be parts or just sit in somebodys garage. Unfortunately this happens too often. Somebody sees a nice little car and thier only idea is how to screw it up. A very small number of the retrofits ever get to be driven again I'm sad to say. I am watching this one on Ebay and hoping somebody with some common since buys it.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
What's really a bummer about this car is that the PO trashed the batterys in it and it takes 18 6 volt batterys. I don't know if it would be feasible to get the car and replace the batterys. It may cost more than the price of the car. I do know the entity that got the car originally and they are what they say. I will presume the person selling the car is associated with the ST Vincente de Paul organization here. If I had room, it would be a neat addition, but I would have to placate my SO to get it :eek:

Ron

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Yeah, nice bod, but not at the $1700 bid at the bottom of the sheet. I would like to add that to my other 2 (as it has a better body). Someone could have waited until the tech caught up with the dream.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
I REALLY HATE IT WHEN EBAYERS TYPE IN ALL CAPS

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Using proper punctuation in an eBay listing is another one, but not as bad as ALL CAPS.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Professional

Take a close look at the pics on EBay! That is one very well executed and professionally done electrification job. Perhaps the community should purchase it and just pass it on to anyone else who wants to ruin another GT this way - don't think it could be done any better than this one.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
GTJim, I agree, it's done nicely. BUT, plug-in overnight tech was a bad idea. It never really took in traffic-jams w/ stop & go and high electric-use situations, like where you needed wipers & heater. Now, if they had put in flywheel/braking recharge or even a 2-cyl. 1200W generator, I would have been more impressed. Believe me, I'd love to see more low-fuel use vehicles. Oh, I use to be one of the Sat. night racers back in Jersey as a kid. Now, I'd like to see us non-dependant on overseas oil. I guess, 3 years as a war protestor, 22.5 years in 2 brances of service (4 Navy, 18.5 in the Air guard), 1 war, 3 Armed expeditionary & 4 NATO trips can change a persons perspective. :eek:

SORRY ! for the politicing.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Eco-friendly!

Yep Oldhippie, We sure have to use fuel much more inteligently in the future.
Imagine a billion more people trying to use petrol powered cars - and it is happening with China and India rushing towards personal motor powered transportation.

Regenerative braking plus an onboard charging system would make an electric car more versitile and give it greater range. Eventually power from sunlight conversion into microwaves that can be beamed down and transfered back into electrical energy is probably the only way we can have mass energy supply.

Unless we get some power conversion satelites up into orbit in the next 25 years then there won't be much left down here!

I well remember the protests of the late 60s' and how my own attitude has radically changed ...... Being let loose to do despicable things to people who have been let loose to do despicable things to ones self certainly does change attitudes!

·
Opeler
99 Posts
EV club

well...
im in a highschool ev club and we did a electric conversion on a 1983 ford ranger. Its pretty good, itll do up to 70 or 75, and accelerates pretty well. It also will go nearly 70 miles on a charge. To compete in our GA rallys, we are governed to no more than 96 volts for a fullsize vehicle. This opel has 108 volts, if my multiplication skills are still intact, and way less weight, and probably a much better coefficient of drag. However, we do use a set of trojan deep cycle batteries, and i didnt catch what kinda batt's their using, but im guessin their not deep cycles...which would hurt range...Oh and another thing, i didnt see if they improved the suspension or not, but i hope they did...with a gvw of like 2500 lbs, itd be pretty easy to max it out fast with all those batteries, and the motor and such. The wiring does look good, clean, and professionally done...but as to the toasted batteries, that could be a prob...youd have to spend like $4000 grand to get it running (price of car included) but once you did, itd be a fun little car, with regenerative braking, of course lol.
-Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts